Europe, Grindavík, Iceland

My Travel Bucket List – Taking A Dip In The Blue Lagoon.

January 2, 2011
Experience Paradise At The Blue Lagoon

The Blue Lagoon you wonder? Do I dream of being stranded on a tropical island with a virile, good looking, sexually charged young man sporting only a loin cloth? While this sounds tempting (and believe me it does), I’m not talking about the infamous 1980 movie starring Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkins.

Next up on my travel bucket list? Traveling to Grindavík, Iceland to take a dip in the geothermal sea water at The Blue Lagoon.

This Image Will Forever Haunt My Dreams

This Image Will Forever Haunt My Dreams

The Blue Lagoon is Iceland’s number one tourist attraction, bringing over 400,000 visitors annually.  A mere 40 minute drive from the capital Reykjavík and a 20 minute drive from the airport, locals and tourists alike come to bathe in the 5000 square meter pool, filled with 6 million liters of warm sea water, which averages temperatures of 37–39 °C.

The water is known to have healing powers, being especially good for the skin, effectively treating psoriasis. The spa has even developed a line of products and services centered around ingredients found in the water (minerals, silica and algae) and opened up a special clinic for those suffering from psoriasis.

Imagine bathing in the warm waters, relaxing and letting your worries melt away,  gazing out at the beautiful Icelandic landscape, breathing in the cold fresh air, all the while rejuvenating your skin.

Interestingly enough, you’ll be bathing at the bridge between two continents – European and American tectonic plates meet at the Blue Lagoon. You’ll stare at your companion a few feet away and one of you will be in Europe while the other will be in North America.

Gaze at these pictures for the full effect of what your experience would deliver:

Experience Paradise At The Blue Lagoon

Experience Paradise At The Blue Lagoon

Bridge Over The Lagoon

Bridge Over The Lagoon

Muddy Face

Muddy Face

Be sure to make the most of your time at The Blue Lagoon – aside from experiencing the wonder of the geo-thermal waters, you can stay at the Clinic Hotel, book a service (or two) at the spa, drink at the outdoor bar and eat in the restaurant which offers stunning views of the lagoon and beyond. Visit their Blue Lagoon’s web site to learn more.

What else does Iceland have to offer? I’m sure that this country located in the Arctic Circle doesn’t rank that highly on most people’s travel bucket lists. To be honest, it didn’t rank that highly on mine. However, after reading a  recent New York Times travel piece on the country, I changed my mind. I want to go there NOW!

Visiting the Gullfoss waterfall, partaking in winter sports, channeling your inner cowboy with some horseback riding, going on an Aurora Borealis night tour, experiencing the magic of a Christmas festival, attending the opera … these are just some of the things that Iceland offers to visitors.

What do you think? Do you want to visit Iceland? Do you want to take a dip in the Blue Lagoon? Believe it or not, this is one of the best times of the year to go. Iceland’s high season for tourists is between June through September – visiting during the off-season means lower prices on airfare, accommodation and excursions.

Comments

comments

• Reply pat January 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Go! Have a great time! I went with my sister and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Pix at http://www.flickr.com/photos/digiteyes/sets/72157605188749609/

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Oh nice! Thanks for sharing the pictures Pat. I’ll def take a looksie.

PS: I’m very jealous of you. 🙂

• Reply Ayngelina January 2, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Yes I do want to go to the Blue Lagoon! But maybe not now, although I’m pretty sure they have cheap flights from Toronto as well.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I plan on visiting there whenever I make my home in Europe. Hopefully, it will be sooner rather than later. Iceland looks pretty fun! Based on feedback I got on Twitter … I want to go even more than I did before.

• Reply Dina January 4, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Just passed Fiji in the way home from Australia to Canada, too bad we were transiting there only for a few days, we didn’t have the time to check out faraway islands. The blue lagoon pictures above are amazing, I want to visit it if I’m lucky enough to visit Fiji again one day!

Btw, just read your profile. From T-dot, eh, we are from London (the one that is 2 hours away from Toronto) 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 4, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I hope you do get to enjoy the Blue Lagoon someday! Also, nice to meet a fellow Canadian. I know London well and even have family there.

I subscribed to your RSS feed and look forward to following your travel adventures.

• Reply Scott January 6, 2011 at 4:19 PM

It’s on my list too! Ever since I saw it on the Amazing Race a few years ago I have dreamed of a dip!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM

It seems like we should get a group of us together and just go! 🙂

• Reply My Seven Links for cherylhoward.com | cherylhoward.com July 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM

[…] My Travel Bucket List – Taking a Dip in the Blue Lagoon. Picture yourself slipping into the healing warm sea waters of a giant outdoor pool that overlooks Iceland’s rugged landscape on a bitter cold day. It’s then easy to understand why this is on the travel bucket list of so many. […]

• Reply Petur March 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Great post, I´m from Iceland and I just love the blue lagoon, it´s definitely one of my favourite places in my country. It is true that Iceland is in the middle of tectonic plates but you are between Europe and North America, not Asia and North America. Here are my 6 great reasons for visiting the blue lagoon! http://vikingtraveller.blogspot.com/2012/02/6-reasons-to-visit-blue-lagoon.html

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

@Petur – thanks so much! I will correct the post a bit later. As I often say, I wish I could hire a part-time editor. Will check out your post later too.

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM

@Petur – it has since been corrected! Thanks for pointing out the error. Cheers!

• Reply Wrabbit007 April 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM

This is ALSO on my bucket list and I ALSO write a travel blog about my bucket list. I think maybe we need to team up and have some adventures, checking our lists off as we go! The Blue Lagoon could be a fantastic place to start! Keep up with the great posts and great ideas – I love reading about them. Visit my page if you like, and feel free to steal any ideas!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM

@Wrabbit – Glad you enjoyed the post. Iceland looks amazing! I don’t do bucket list posts anymore as I’m now living out my dreams but look forward to taking more of a look at your site.

• Reply The HostelBookers Travel Bucket List | The HostelBookers Blog July 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM

[…] 10. Take a dip in the healing geo-thermal waters of The Blue Lagoon in Grindavik, Iceland – Cheryl Howard from cherylhoward.com […]