Czech Republic, Europe, Prague

Prague Pays Attention to Even the Smallest of Architectural Details

July 14, 2011
An Example of Prague's Stunning Architecture

Prague, Czech Republic is renowned for it’s architecture. Sites like Cernin Palace, Saint Vitus’ Cathedral, Old Town Hall, the Charles Bridge and the National Museum in Wenceles Square are just some of it’s most iconic landmarks. The city itself is a museum showcasing countless different styles including Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, and even Rococo.

Naturally, you could easily pass by hours walking and taking photos … I certainly have! The wonderful thing is that even when you deviate off the “beaten path” and make your way down a side street, you’ll come across buildings accented with small but beautiful architectural details.

I had a chance to visit Prague recently and spied this lovely terrace balcony while taking an evening walk.

An Example of Prague's Stunning Architecture

Imagine if your flat had such a terrace, decorated with colorful flowers and flanked with ornate statues? Sigh … this terrace makes the view from my own flat in Berlin seem like such an ugly bore, as it looks out into a courtyard that is home to a giant crane and various piles of construction materials. Our building is currently having it’s roof repaired!

If you’d like to see photos of the city on a snowy Christmas night, check out my blog post called Prague by Night, Is a Romantic Delight.

Comments

comments

• Reply Sensibletraveler July 14, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Prague is a great city to walk and photograph. And it has the world’s best beer!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 14, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Prague is one of my favorite places. 2 trips there have produced 1000+ photos.

The beer in the Czech Republic is good, but so is the pure German beer! Although, I may be biased as I am living in Berlin. šŸ™‚

• Reply Cathy Sweeney July 15, 2011 at 2:01 AM

You’ve got me dreaming about being on that balcony! Lovely thought and photo.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Thanks so much. I wish this was my balcony.

• Reply JenniferU July 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Prague was my very first Europe stop. It’s so beautiful and surreal I felt like I was on a movie set. Would love to get back there. Oh, and I’m not entering in the beer debate. I liked it in both countries!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 15, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Fantastic place for your fist stop! šŸ™‚

I find Prague beautiful but also an odd city … you see a balcony like this for example but look below it and see childish graffiti, or a Hooters. Did you find that too?

Ha ha … the beer is great in both places. I also love that you can drink one as you walk down the street.

• Reply Muza-chan July 15, 2011 at 8:22 AM

It’s very beautiful. I love Prague too..

• Reply Denise July 15, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Old buildings have a softness about them with I love. Modern buildings are cool, but…they just feel so cold with their sharp lines and huge expanses of glass.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 15, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Being from Toronto, I certainly agree. I had a downtown loft with a great view but it’s not the same here where things are old, soft, beautiful and even romantic.