Europe, Italy, Milan, Photos

From The Roof Of Milan’s Duomo.

July 28, 2011
View From the Roof of Milan's Duomo

The very first time you cast a gaze on the “Duomo di Milano“, you’ll immediately understand why it is one of the city’s most notable and popular tourist attractions.

Taking over 600 years to complete, the cathedral is the largest in all of Italy. As the construction process was so lengthy, the finished piece is a mixture of architectural styles.

There are those who love the grandeur of the cathedral while others find fault. Art critic, John Ruskin feels that the styles are stolen “from every style in the world: and every style spoiled. The cathedral is a mixture of Perpendicular with Flamboyant, the latter being peculiarly barbarous and angular, owing to its being engrafted, not on a pure, but a very early penetrative Gothic“.

Whatever you think, the duomo’s certainly a commanding and breath taking structure. Said Mark Twain in 1867, “However you look at it, the cathedral is noble and beautiful. Wherever you are in Milan or within seven miles from Milan, it is visible, and when there is no other that can compete with him in attracting attention.”

For a small fee you can take the lift (6 euros) or stairs (4 euros) to the rooftop where you can observe the intricate architectural detailing. There are a lot of spires!

View From the Roof of Milan's Duomo

While on the rooftop last month, I snapped this photo that really highlights some of this detailing. The building in the background provides a lovely contrast.

Comments

comments

• Reply Sailor July 29, 2011 at 1:12 am

Milan is a beautiful city. I first visited this city about 10 years back and the city still has the same charm when ever I visit.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 29, 2011 at 8:46 pm

It really is a beautiful place. I will return to Milano someday too!

• Reply Muza-chan July 29, 2011 at 7:48 am

Beautiful photo 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 29, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Thanks Muza! I took hundreds of photos while up on that roof.

• Reply Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista July 29, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I have not been to Milan but can see it’s beauty from your description and picture. I really do like views from high buildings! Great perspective.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Milan is definitely worth a visit … hope you get there someday soon.

• Reply Susan Van Allen July 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm

The Duomo is an amazing site–when you turn the corner and see it for the first time it’s grandeur is breathtaking! I love going to the Rinascente department store across the via from it, up to the terrace where there is an Obika restaurant–you can sit there and sip prosecco and be eye level with that amazing roof!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Agree. Nothing really prepares you for that first gaze. Regardless of the confused style of architecture, I think it’s quite beautiful too.

I’ll have to check out Obika the next time I’m in Milano. Thanks for the tip. 🙂

• Reply Sensibletraveler July 30, 2011 at 2:00 am

I am so amazed at Europe’s grand cathedrals–600 years to complete! That’s older than the U.S.!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm

The historical significance of these buildings are just one of the many reasons I love Europe.

• Reply Sophie July 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Beautiful photo, so pastel and poetic!

• Reply Nancie August 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Lovely shot Cheryl. The last time I was in Italy I was using a disposable camera (ugh!). Would love to go back again…taking photos being one of the many reasons.

Thanks for posting to Travel Photo Thursday!

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 9, 2011 at 7:25 pm

No prob Nancie. I love your photo series and how it involves other travel bloggers. We are such a great community. 🙂

Hope you make it back to Milano sometime!

• Reply Italian City Guide - Top 5 Things to do in Milan September 4, 2013 at 11:01 am

[…] in the world. Built over a span of five centuries and located right in the heart of Milan, this beautiful monument makes it convenient for those who want to explore the rest of the fast-paced and extravagant […]

• Reply Top 5 Things to do in Milan - Italian City Guide May 29, 2014 at 10:03 am