Europe, Italy, Photos, Soriano nel Cimino

The Castle That Stole My Heart.

August 4, 2011
Soriano Nel Cimino

I’ve already written about how much I love castles, so I thought why not feature a photo of the very first one I ever saw? (Click the photo to enlarge.)

Soriano Nel Cimino

Orsini Castle, set in a small Italian village called Soriano Nel Cimino is located approximately 100 kilometers north of Rome. Lit up at night, it perfectly accentuates the medieval back-drop of this hilly town that rather fortunately doesn’t see many tourists.

When you visiting Soriano, you’ll feel like you’ve stepped back in time. WWII air raid sirens still play twice a day in remembrance. Children don old fashioned smocks to attend school. Old ladies mop the alleyways of the narrow streets. Every fall the village puts on a medieval festival that celebrates the chestnut harvest.

I took this photo on my first night in Soriano and I’ll never forget how I felt in that exact moment.

It was surreal taking in the view, staring at the castle, all the while thinking “F*ck, yeah. I’m in Italy!

Tears welled up in my eyes but I was smiling. They were tears of joy!

Then when no one was looking, I fist pumped two-to-three times Jersey Shore style.

I was that happy to be there.

Comments

comments

• Reply Cathy Sweeney August 5, 2011 at 5:09 am

That is a gorgeous shot. I love castles, too — would love to see this one. I totally understand that surreal feeling –I’ve had that so often in my travels. And when tears well up in your eyes — that’s a wonderful thing, isn’t it?

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Thank you Cathy! It’s these beautiful experiences that makes us want to travel as much as we do. There isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t feel fortunate at having had these experiences.

• Reply Michael Figueiredo August 5, 2011 at 5:38 am

So pretty! I love seeing places that I’d never heard of before. 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 5, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Thanks! Soriano is situated in a perfect location. You’re close to Rome, Tuscany, Umbria … I definitely recommend staying there.

• Reply Muza-chan August 5, 2011 at 7:07 am

Great photo 🙂

• Reply Leigh August 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Fantastic shot – and nothing like capturing exactly how you feel. I hope you’ve actually printed this shot – and displayed it so you see it everyday.

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 6, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Thanks! I haven’t printed yet! One of these days when I am settled down again into a permanent home, I certainly will. 🙂

• Reply Tristan Cuschieri August 7, 2011 at 7:11 pm

So rad. That photo is amazing, Cheryl. From the angle, to the lighting, and even the cloud cover and the moon. I would have fist pumped, too.

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 7, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Thank you! It was a pretty amazing moment.

• Reply Jenna August 9, 2011 at 6:21 am

I love Italy but hadn’t heard of this place, either. Beautiful photo!

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 9, 2011 at 8:06 am

Thanks! If you ever get a chance, it’s very worth the visit. 🙂

• Reply laurel August 9, 2011 at 6:56 am

Beautiful! No matter how many castles I visit, I just can’t get enough. I love that they still play the air raid sirens as a symbol of remembrance.

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 9, 2011 at 8:08 am

Thank you. I love that they still play the sirens too and that it remains little known to tourists. Really gives you a taste of what Italian life was/is like.

• Reply Tania @ Passport2Design August 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Wow, that’s amazing that the WWII air raid sirens still sound twice a day, I can only imagine what a surreal feeling that must instill. Thanks for sharing these pics – they are gorgeous. Really get capturing of lighting. *sigh* Makes me want to visit another castle myself 🙂 So far, I’ve only seen castles in Scotland and Ireland…and of course, Toronto’s very own Casa Loma, though it’s hardly comparable, but pretty impressive considering it’s in such a relatively new city.

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Thank you Tania! I hope to visit Scotland and Ireland myself someday … if only to see more castles. 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm

The castles here in Europe seem to come in all sorts of wonderful shapes and sizes. I love it!

Also a fan of travel photo Thursday … unfortunately did not have time for a post this week but hopefully will for next week.

• Reply Sophie August 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm

What a lovely post. And the castle looks magical!

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Thank you Sophie. So nice of you to say. The castle, the town, the people, the food … all magical. Best!

• Reply Christmas Markets: Schönbrunn Castle In Vienna. | cherylhoward.com December 26, 2011 at 4:13 pm

[…] markets beside castles have become my favorite! I simply love castles in general, like the one in Soriano Nel Cimino or the one in Prague but a Christmas market beside a castle like the one in Berlin or this one in […]