Austria, Europe, Restaurants, Vienna

On The Eighth Day God Created Coffee … At Cafe Demel.

September 1, 2011
Cafe Demel in Vienna, Austria

Cafe Demel is Worth A Visit

Sometimes there are tourist traps that you absolutely must avoid, like the Hemingway bars La Bodeguita del Medio and La Flordita in Havana, Cuba. Then there are places that you absolutely must visit like Cafe Demel in Vienna, Austria.

Steeped in history, Cafe Demel has been around since 1786. In 1857, it was sold to Christof Demel who moved the cafe to it’s current home, the Kohlmarkt. There the cafe still retains it’s original Rococo styled salons and employs only female waiting staff who will speak to you in the third person (a former polite form of German address).

Demel’s sells delicious treats like cakes, scones, strudels and Sachertortes, baked fresh each day and made with natural ingredients. You can sip coffee (for which Vienna is famous) or have a cup of hot chocolate, favored by past aristocratic and bourgeoisie ladies on cold winter days.

You can also tour the cafe’s museum, stare at the shop’s window stocked full of confectionery goodies and even watch the highly trained staff whip up new creations in the cafes show bakery.

I visited Cafe Demel last Christmas when the city was festively decorated for the holiday season. Vienna is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe and as you can see, it’s even more extraordinary at Christmastime.

Cafe Demel in Vienna, Austria

So friends, do yourself a favour. When in Vienna, make a stop a Cafe Demel or even another local coffee shop. Be offended by the presence of Starbucks (or “Starfucks” as Berliners like to say) and skip them entirely. Danke!

Getting There

You can find the cafe (also known by their original name K.u.K. Hofzuckerbäcker Ch. Demel’s Söhne) here:

View Larger Map

Travel Photo Thursday. This post was submitted to the Budget Travelers Sandbox weekly “Travel Photo Thursday” series where bloggers are provided opportunity to showcase their travel photos.

Comments

comments

• Reply Nancie September 1, 2011 at 12:07 PM

This sounds so lovely. I have not been to Vienna. Hopefully I’ll get there one of these days.

Thanks for joining Travel Photo Thursday!

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Ohhh, you’ll love Vienna. It’s so so so pretty. Almost perfect! Hope you make it there too. 🙂

• Reply Muza-chan September 1, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Beautiful photo.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Thanks! Loved your deer shot this week too.

• Reply Sophie September 1, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I adore Vienna, it’s one of my favourite cities. Viennese coffee tends to be a bit too strong for my taste, but I really enjoy sitting at the old cafes, like Demel. It’s so atmospheric! Works well for teas, too 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Me too on both fronts. Love Vienna and sitting in old cafes. I loved the coffee though! 🙂

My friends had tea and they quite liked it with their desserts. Makes me want to go back there right about now.

• Reply Sabrina September 1, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Beautiful decorations! I love Christmas time in Europe… But where’s the shot of the Sachertorte? 🙂 Not sure if it’s because it’s lunchtime, but your description was making me really hungry 😉

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Christmastime in Europe is so so so special. I fell in love when spending the holiday season here last year .. so much so, I moved here. Have plans to visit many a market this Nov and Dec.

I may later update this post with more photos. Good idea! Can’t right now as I am fighting a virus with my blog. 🙁

• Reply Cathy Sweeney September 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM

OK – I’ll put it on the list of things to do in Vienna. I always avoid Starbuck’s when I’m traveling (if possible). Love the photo — the lights are so pretty.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I don’t mind Starbucks but when you’re in Vienna … it would be a travesty to go there. Let me know what you think of it when you make the visit. 🙂

• Reply InsideJourneys September 1, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Vienna is so full of history.
    This is the kind of place I like to visit. I passed on La Floridita and La Bodequita.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 2, 2011 at 2:03 AM

No prob! And good on you for passing those two bars in Cuba, highly overrated.

• Reply Vera Marie Badertscher September 2, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I was totally entranced with watching the chef behind a glass window making incredible Easter treats when I was there. But, those Christmas lights make it look like it would be worth braving the cold.
    And don’t you love a country where they have law suits over pastry–Like who owns the rights to Sacher torte? Demel, who originated it, or Sacher Hotel who took it over later. (or is it viceversa?)

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 2, 2011 at 12:45 AM

I liked watching them too! And it is worth braving the cold … when I think back to my time there … they are among my happiest. Vienna’s amazing!

• Reply Denise September 2, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I’m heading to Vienna this weekend. Will try to check it out 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 2, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Sooo nice! I’m jealous. Enjoy your time there. 🙂

• Reply bursa kuruigneleme November 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM

the street is wonderfullll.