Accommodation

Five Things You Should Never Do While Staying At A Hostel.

September 13, 2011
Hostel

There Are Things You Should Never Do While Staying At A Hostel

I love hostels, I really do.

Last February marked my first ever hostel stay when I spent the weekend in Montreal. From that point forward, I was addicted. The cheap prices, free wi-fi, kitchen to cook your own meals in and the chance to meet other travelers were all attractive to me. Staying next at a hostel in Cinque Terre, Italy, I found friends to hike, drink and eat meals with. It was great!

Yet, we all know that staying at a hostel has it’s downside and things can happen which make your stay less fun. After staying a hostel in Barcelona this past weekend, I felt compelled to write this post “Five Things You Should Never Do While Staying At A Hostel.” I have so many more to add that I’m thinking about making it a three part series.

So what are these things you never do? Let me tell you …

1) Eat smelly food and leave the garbage lying around the room.

Hostel rooms are usually tiny. In such an enclosed space, when things smell they really really smell.

So while you may think it’s a good idea to scarf back your Big Mac and french fries before heading out to the club, your roommates are most likely not on the same page. They probably won’t appreciate you bringing back the food and chowing down at 3 AM either.

Milla Jovovich May Look Sexy Eating a Burger But This Wouldn't Fly In A Hostel

Your options?

• Eat in the common area or kitchen.
  • Don’t eat in the hostel at all. Dine elsewhere.
  • If you absolutely need to eat something, ensure your food isn’t messy or smelly like an egg salad sandwich. A bag of trail mix, some cookies or an apple? No big deal but be prepared to share!

Not disposing your food is another no-no. Imagine how a half-eaten greasy hamburger smells after a few hours? It’s not pleasant. Two of my roommates were awesome enough to leave their Burger King left-overs in the room Thursday night when they checked out. I couldn’t have asked for a better parting gift.

2) Use another person’s bed as a place to store your things.

When staying at a hostel and sharing a room with complete strangers, your tiny little bunk bed is your only personal space, a sanctuary if you will. It’s here you sleep, lay and read, use your computer and do whatever.

You expect that when you leave the room, you won’t come back to find it piled with another person’s belongings. On Saturday afternoon, I came back to my room to find a pair of glasses and smelly wet socks and on Sunday afternoon, it was a bag of cookies and a bottle of Coke.

While it was super sweet of my roommate to leave these things for me, I sure didn’t want them. I actually had to ask her to stop leaving stuff on my bed and wasn’t too happy at having been forced into that awkward moment.

It was weird that she used my bed in the first place, especially since the bunk below hers was completely unoccupied. Rather unbelievably, things got stranger the second night when the same girl put her bag on the bunk below her when someone actually was sleeping in it. While getting ready to go to sleep, she placed her cosmetics bag on the other girl’s bunk causing her to wake up, shout and kick the bag roughly to the floor.

Use common sense.

• Don’t use any bed other than your own to store things. Use your locker, shelf or nook.
  • Don’t leave wet and/or smelly things on another person’s bed. This is gross.
  • Don’t place things on another person’s bed while it’s occupied. It may provoke an angry response.

3) Take a shower, flood the bathroom floor and not clean up afterwards.

There’s nothing better than waking up, walking to the bathroom and taking a tumble into a large puddle of water that one of your “oh-so-kind” roommates left behind. This was how I started my day last Saturday.

Hostels Are Not This Glamourous And Neither Are Flooded Bathrooms

Better yet? This flooding took place on a regular schedule. Oh yes! Every morning and every night, I could be rest assured that the entire bottom of our small shared bathroom was full of water.

Good thing I learned my lesson on the first day. Each subsequent time I entered the bathroom, I’d walk slowly and carefully, resentfully grab some toilet paper and clean up their mess.

A few suggestions.

• Take a shower and make sure the doors are closed tightly or the curtain is drawn across the entire way.
  • Keep a towel close by so you can avoid taking a wet walk across a slippery floor.
  • Dry off in the shower stall.

If somehow you still can’t avoid flooding the bathroom floor, clean up after yourself. Not doing so endangers yourself and others.

4) Drunkenly pack your bags in the middle of the night.

I arrived at my hostel late last Thursday night. Tired from my flight, I went to bed around 1 AM only to be awoken at 3:00 AM by two very drunk girls.

A Level Of Peace Only Achieved At High End Hotels And Resorts

Smelling like bottles of alcohol, they turned on all of the lights and loudly began packing their bags for their early morning flight. Laughing, throwing things, spraying perfume and tripping over themselves more than once, they kept me fully “entertained.” Despite another woman sleeping above me, they regaled me with tales about how they had their wallets stolen that day. I nodded in sympathy and whispered “That really sucks. Are you able to get home OK?” Meanwhile, I was desperately praying to God they could because all I wanted them to do was leave.

Leave they did but a long hour later. They also left us with their Burger King left-overs and empty bottles of cava. You just know those two items pair well together!

I think it’s obvious but I’ll say it anyway.

• If you have an early morning flight, pack before you go out so you don’t have to drunkenly (or soberly) do in the middle of your night.
  • When you do wake up, get ready as quickly and quietly as possible.
  • Refrain from spraying vast amounts of perfume in a small poorly ventilated room. Remember some people have allergies.
  • Turn on as few lights as possible. If you have a head lamp, make use of the handy contraption!

5) Perform ninja moves to reach your top bunk.

Let me break the news to you gently.

You are not Neo and you do not live in the Matrix. You are not part of a beautifully depicted martial arts sequence in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Things don’t happen in slow motion and there is no way for you to defy gravity.

You know the girl who liked to leave me presents on my bunk? Apparently,  she was also not capable of climbing a ladder to get to her bed.

I watched in disbelief as she attempted to perform a ninja-like move to reach the top bunk. She grabbed the railings of the top bunks on each side of her, put a foot on each of the bottom beds and somehow flung her body towards the top, loudly crashing into the bed frame until she finally just hung there. She then somehow pulled herself up on to her bed.

Of course, she put her gymnastic skills to use in the middle of the night when 3 of us were trying to sleep. Remarkably no one said anything to her. Maybe it was because we were in complete and utter shock?

Remember this if you remember anything.

• You’re human and not a super hero or a member of Cirque du Soliel.
  • The ladder is there for a reason. Use it!
  • If ladders are challenging for you, ask the hostel staff to assign you to a bottom bunk.
  • Do not use other people’s beds to gain access to your bunk.

So there you have it, my first installment of “Five Things You Should Never Do While Staying At A Hostel.” And despite my recent experience, I plan to continue staying at hostels. I’ve learned to be patient and go with the flow as being able to tell these stories on my blog is half the fun!

Be Included In Later Installments. Do you have any points you would like to add to my list? Let me know by leaving a comment and I may include it in one of my next installments. I’ll even list your name and web site if you have one.

Comments

comments

• Reply Tristan Cuschieri September 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Love the crunchy poast. There are all things I’ll remember if I stay in a hostel!

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 13, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I highly encourage staying at a hostel at least once. It’s so fun!

On Saturday night, I got to watch a bunch of drunk British boys sing their heart out to Queen on the hostel’s karaoke machine. They were horrible and it was awesome! 🙂

• Reply LL September 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM

When i was in barcelona…our shower was so clogged up it was flooding up to mid shin. So disgusting.

You should add don’t try to steal someone elses bunk when you’ve been assigned one.

also no bringing people back to the room to get freaky with while ur roomies are fast asleep.

and lastly, do not keep opening the door and leaving it open to allow light and noise pollution to ruin the atmosphere for those who are already in dream land.

love this post….one of my faves of yours.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Oh yes! I will use some of these in my next instalment. 🙂

And thanks. I had so much fun writing this post too. You know from my BBM’s on the weekend, I was less than impressed with some of those gals. Still had fun though!

• Reply Jason Hanley September 13, 2011 at 9:28 PM

Wow, that definitely tops our “bad hostel mates” experiences.

Hostels are a lot better if you get a private room, but they’re often limited availability, and sometimes as expensive as a cheap hotel…

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Ha ha! I tried to book a private room Sunday night but it was 85 euros. Yet while in Prague in July, I got a private room for 30 euros a night.

• Reply Tania @ Passport2Design September 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM

This is a great post, Cheryl 🙂 I laughed several times, especially because I can relate! I agree with all your rules and also send a virtual high five to LL for noting that romantic hook-ups should not happen in shared hostel rooms. Eeew!

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 15, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Ha ha, thanks Tania!! It was written based on my particular experience in Barcelona this past weekend. A special shout-out to my rather special roommates. 😀

I agree, hostel hook-ups aren’t so nice. Heard a kid say he attempted to bring a girl back to his room and the night guard thankfully stopped him. Him and the girl headed to the beach instead. LOL!

• Reply 2011: A Year In Review For cherylhoward.com. | cherylhoward.com January 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

[…] 7) Barcelona – a birthday present to myself in September, this marked my first time in Spain where I managed to spend 5 days eating tapas, tasting wine, admiring the stained glass windows of the Sagrada Familia and checking out a quirky flea market. Travel low points were getting robbed and having terrible roommates at my hostel. […]

• Reply Nonsence June 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I been working in hostels around Europe for last 4 years and I agree with everything that’s said here… I would also include one point: Please don’t forget to clean your dishes in the kitchen and also the stove.. leave it as it was whenyou came to the kitchen. and btw… label your foor with your name AND departure date, we are not going to walkt around the hostel with half eaten salad going wrong to ask everybody is it yours?

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM

@Nonsence – Thanks for your comment! And great suggestions. Too bad more people don’t observe these rules. 🙂

• Reply Kitty Kat July 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Also if people have labeled food, then don’t eat it! I put an unopened labeled pint of milk in a fridge in Moscow and next day found that someone had opened it and drunk half!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM

@Kitty Kat – Oh, that sucks! Too bad more people didn’t observe civil behaviour …

• Reply 30Traveler November 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM

– leave your phone on during the night
    – eat other people’s food
    – slam the door
    – enter your room talking loudly without taking into account that jetlagged people might be sleeping in the day
    – eat or store any food in the room (causes mice and rats issues!)
    – leave food to go off in the fridge when you depart the hostel

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM

@30Traveler – LOL! All great tips … thanks for adding your two cents. 🙂

• Reply barbs1978 February 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Dont smoke in the room, specially if it dosen’t have windows.

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

@Barbs1978 – Agree with that one 100%!

• Reply Hostel en San Telmo November 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Cheryl, the one about “flood the bathroom floor” is quite common and really annoying.

I’m staying at a hostel in Argentina and everyone does that :/

I don’t know why people doesn’t care about it…. anyway i really love hostels as you do, are cheap and a good chance to meet amazing people around the world.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Indeed! It’s just gross and very inconsiderate.

I love hostels too. About to discover a brand new one in Chicago this January. Can’t wait. 🙂

• Reply Hostel en San Telmo November 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I hope u’ll write about it!! i’ll be expecting for that 😀

Btw, i hope you’ll try sometime a little trip for South America, there’s a lot of interesting places and people and it’s a completly different experience about US/Europe.

Hugs!!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I’ll definitely be writing about the experience!

You should check some of my other reviews here on the blog – Wombats in Budapest and Living Lounge in Lisbon are both kick-ass hostels. Loved both places.

I’ve been to South America – so far, Ecuador (Quito and the Galapagos), Peru (Lima, Cusco, Nazca and Machu Picchu), Argentina (Iguassu Falls area), Brazil (Rio baby!).

Someday, I’ll be back as I love it there. I’d like to visit Bolivia next! 

• Reply Gurpreet December 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I am from Chandigarh,India
    I live in hostel now a day’s as per my studies purpose-bachelor in hotel management..my friends do smoke cigarette,weed and much more in a room as we do have a 4 seater room.what I suppose to do as I hate smoking and interrupt by those activities…if I talk to my wardens so they will be taking some serious action and that the thing I do not like…
    Suggest something