Barcelona, Europe, Spain

Stained Glass Windows At The Sagrada Familia.

September 15, 2011
Surreal Beauty

I Love Cathedrals And Not Just Castles

I’ve already told you about how much I adore castles but I haven’t told you about my other big love. Yes, it’s true. My love cannot be contained to only one thing as I’m also obsessed with cathedrals!

Our rather passionate affair began in Rome last year when I visited the Vatican and entered the awe inspiring St. Peter’s Basilica for the first time. So overcome with emotion, I was moved to tears. This rather moving experience made me decide that I would spend the rest of my life exploring as many castles and cathedrals as possible.

So naturally when in Barcelona last week, I just had to go and see Antoni Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia. It was like nothing I’ve ever seen, strange and wonderful, looking like a fantastical structure that would fit perfectly in a Lord Of The Rings movie.

The inside is just as unbelievably stunning and I was completely enthralled with all of the beautiful stained glass windows.

Welcome To The Sagrada Familia

Look At That Detail

An Array of Color

Surreal Beauty

Blue Wonder

Gaudi's Dream Coming to Life
Travel Photo Thursday.
This post was submitted to the Budget Travelers Sandbox weekly “Travel Photo Thursday” series where bloggers are provided opportunity to showcase their travel photos.

Comments

comments

• Reply Muza-chan September 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Great photos šŸ™‚

• Reply Sabrina September 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Great pics! I’ve only seen pics of this cathedral from the outside so far and really liked it. But the inside seems to be even more beautiful. Love the windows!!

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Thanks so much! The inside is so tranquil .. definitely check out should you get the chance. šŸ™‚

• Reply Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista September 15, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I love these shots especially since I love cathedrals too! Only issue is my pictures don’t come out as good as yours. I’ve decided to work on my photography skills!

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Thank you! I’m only learning how to take better photographs as well. It’s a fun process. šŸ™‚

• Reply Leigh September 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Stunning shots – I particularly like the third one with the multi coloured windows.

• Reply Cathy Sweeney September 15, 2011 at 9:05 pm

You captured the stained glass beautifully! I’m also a big fan of cathedrals (and castles).

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Thanks Cathy. I think I could stay in Europe forever and may just do so!

• Reply InsideJourneys September 16, 2011 at 6:34 am

One of my favorite places. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.

• Reply Jenna September 16, 2011 at 7:18 am

Wow, this is lovely. I went there but sadly did not go inside…I’m kicking myself now for that, especially since I love cathedrals and stained glass. What a beautiful cathedral interior!

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 16, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Awww, you’ll have to go back another time.

• Reply Nancie September 16, 2011 at 11:37 am

Beautiful shot Cheryl! There’s nothing like roaming around a beautiful cathedral or church.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 16, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Nancie! It’s such an unusual and beautiful church as well.

• Reply Sophie September 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I really like Gaudi’s buildings, such an interesting, eccentric architect. Very nice photos you got. I’m going to Barcelona in two weeks, look forward to have a look inside now.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Thanks Sophie! Enjoy and I’d definiately reccommed taking the lift up to the top as well for a beautiful view of Barcelona. šŸ™‚

• Reply Sherry September 20, 2011 at 2:40 am

Can’t wait to go back and really explore this place next year. I love how its so intricate and timeless. Castles and cathedrals are great reasons to travel.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 20, 2011 at 10:51 am

It’s so beautiful! If you haven’t already done so, buy a ticket to go up the lift. Great views of Barcelona.

• Reply 2011: A Year In Review For cherylhoward.com. | cherylhoward.com January 8, 2012 at 7:27 pm

[…] my first time in Spain where I managed to spend five days eating tapas, tasting wine, admiring the stained glass windows of the Sagrada Familia and checking out a quirky flea […]

• Reply A Day Trip From Berlin ... To Braunschweig. | cherylhoward.com February 23, 2013 at 11:55 am

[…] AKA the Brunswick Cathedral. It’s surprisingly beautiful and reminded me somewhat of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona from the inside. On the Saturday I visited, a few old ladies were selling fresh bread near the […]