Europe, Italy, Milan

Weird and Wonderful Milan … In Photos.

October 13, 2011
Absolut Ad

When traveling, I don’t always snap photos of beautiful landmarks like castles, cathedrals and cities at night like Vienna or Prague. I enjoy discovering things that are what I like to call “weird and wonderful” and taking photos of them, even if considered inappropriate, provocative and even ugly.

Such photos capture an alternative side of a destination, one that will most likely not appear on a postcard or be featured in a Lonely Planet guidebook. They often make for some of the best, not to mention the most hilarious travel memories! I usually get more comments on these photos than ones of beautiful landmarks.

That said, this post introduces my new series called “Weird and Wonderful” where from time-to-time, I’ll feature an alternative side to a specific destination. To kick-start the series, I’m opening with Milan, Italy where I spent 5 days last June.

You won’t find any pictures of the Duomo di Milano or Sforzesco Castle here!

Weird and Wonderful Milan

Weird and Wonderful Milan

Weird and Wonderful Milan

Weird and Wonderful Milan

Weird and Wonderful Milan

Weird and Wonderful Milan

Weird and Wonderful Milan

Weird and Wonderful Milan

Have you ever considered visiting Milan in August? It’s absolutely the perfect time to go – traffic is light due to locals being on holidays and you can experience the city’s best attractions without all of the huge crowds.

Comments

comments

• Reply Muza-chan October 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Lovely photos 🙂

• Reply Denise October 13, 2011 at 1:01 PM

This is so refreshing! What’s the point of only taking pictures of famous landmarks which have been photographed over and over again? I love seeing photos of details like the above. Beautiful.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM

@Muza-chan & @Denise – thanks as always for your comments. Each time I see these pics, I laugh!

• Reply Andrea October 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Great photos of a great city 🙂

• Reply Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista October 14, 2011 at 1:44 AM

I love the wine opener but the ad for the mens label is a little scary! Great shots and a great idea.

• Reply Leigh October 14, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Great take on Milan. You’ve made me think about a different way of taking shots and it’s a wonderful change not to see the same old same old.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM

@Debbie – I find both the wine bottle opener and the clothing ad disturbing! I can’t wait to feature some other cities. 🙂

@Leigh & @Andrea – thanks so much.

• Reply Sophie October 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

OMG! That wine-opener! Can’t get further from picture postcard Milan than that.

• Reply Laurel October 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I love seeing the offbeat side to cities. I especially like the modern art and the horse statues and who doesn’t need another wine opener, especially a conversation piece like this one 🙂

• Reply Technosyncratic Travel October 14, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Okay, those horse statues are the best. And dang, that’s a rather explicit last ad!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

@Laurel – I’d be happy to travel back to Milan for you to grab one of those bottle openers. 🙂

@Sophie – Agree. You wouldn’t believe the rest of the items in that store ….

@Technosyncratic – It’s an ad by a German designer. Not surprising at all knowing the Germans. Have you seen the ads in Bild?

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica October 17, 2011 at 4:17 AM

Love these photos!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM

@Stephanie – Thanks! Was fun taking them. 🙂

• Reply Weird And Wonderful Prague (Part 1) ... In Photos. | cherylhoward.com October 20, 2011 at 1:46 PM

[…] included in a guide book. I surprised, delighted and even horrified some readers showing them the weird and wonderful Milan and this week, I’ll do the same with Prague, Czech […]

• Reply Weird And Wonderful Prague (Part 1) ... In Photos. | cherylhoward.com October 25, 2011 at 6:49 PM

[…] that might not ever appear on a postcard or be included in a guide book. So far I’ve featured Milan and […]

• Reply Massimo November 15, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Hallo! Nice shots. In the first pic the challenge is new every some months, so the wall is changing many times …

• Reply Massimo November 15, 2011 at 11:54 PM

The bizarre modern art doesn’t fit really, but the work is a tribute to the industriousness of Milan and, above all, the world of fashion, somethimes we dont have to ask too much of art. 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 16, 2011 at 2:38 AM

@Massimo – well, hope you enjoyed my post about your city! The Elvis ad was quite funny … but also seemed out of place like that other very colourful art. Cool to know more of the story behind each piece … so thanks! 🙂

• Reply Ten Weird and Wonderful Things in Brussels. | cherylhoward.com March 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM

[…] If you like weird, check out my other posts about Weird and Wonderful Prague and Weird and Wonderful Milan. […]