Cologne, Europe, Germany

Street Art In Cologne’s Belgian Quarter.

October 16, 2011
Street Art in Cologne

Living in Berlin has given me a new appreciation of art in general, especially street art and how it really can enhance urban spaces. While it might not be as conventionally beautiful as some of Europe’s more famous monuments, castles, and cathedrals, street art has its place.

On a recent impromptu getaway to meet with a college friend to Cologne, Germany, I enjoyed hanging out in the city’s Belgian quarter for a day. Full of funky stores, hip cafes and a really amazing tattoo parlor where I happened to get a new tattoo (blog post to come), I was surprised to find so much street art.

Street Art in Cologne

Street Art in Cologne

My favorite photo is this one with music notes painted on the two garage doors. I love how it could have been left boring and bland but was turned into something really pretty!

Street Art in Cologne

Street Art in Cologne

Street Art in Cologne
I’m also quite enamored with Little Lucy, similar sketches have also appeared in Berlin and Hamburg.

Street Art in Cologne

Street Art in Cologne
Do you like street art? Where have you seen the best examples of street art? Tell me about it by leaving a comment below.

Comments

comments

• Reply fotoeins October 17, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Cheryl, those are some really cool photographs of a part I haven’t seen much, despite my frequent visits to the city. I think those notes on the doors bring new meaning to the phrase “Ausfahrt freihalten”. 😉

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 17, 2011 at 12:24 AM

@fotoeins – Thanks! The Belgian quarter was my favorite part of the city, hands down. Definitely recommend the next time you visit Cologne.

Also, there’s an amazing cafe which serves crepes … I can’t stop thinking or dreaming about them.

• Reply Andrea October 17, 2011 at 2:34 PM

We were just in Cologne, but only for one afternoon in the city. I loved the look of it – your pictures are beautiful! =)

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM

@Andrea – thank you so much! I wouldn’t even mind living there … it’s not Berlin, but it’s a nice place nonetheless. 🙂

• Reply Laurel October 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I haven’t been to Cologne, but never guessed that it would have such a happening street art scene!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM

@Laurel – me either! I definitely recommend a visit.

• Reply Sherry October 19, 2011 at 8:56 AM

I like your photo of the musical notes on the garage, too – its quirky & catches your attention (in a good way). I don’t necessarily like street art. But I do appreciate free expression. I think Sardinia has some of the more intriguing street art I’ve seen so far, as a result of their violent past.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM

@Sherry – Thanks! Didn’t know that about Sardinia, Lisbon also has quite the happening street art scene as well.

• Reply jade October 20, 2011 at 4:43 AM

I’ve been getting really into street art recently- another great collection here!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM

@Jade – me too! I may start to make this something I seek out whenever I travel to a new place.

• Reply Szczecin's Surprising Street Art. | cherylhoward.com November 5, 2011 at 1:43 PM

[…] at a local park this summer.  I suddenly started to notice street art wherever I went, like in Cologne’s Belgian quarter last month and yesterday in Szczecin, […]

• Reply Christmas Markets: Wenceslas Square in Prague. | cherylhoward.com November 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM

[…] Hooters! I glanced at walls adorned with pointless graffiti, nothing like what I’d seen in Cologne or Szczecin. Worst of all? The city was noisy and jam packed with tourists, many of them drunken […]

• Reply Street Art in Amsterdam. | cherylhoward.com December 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM

[…] like when I traveled to Szczecin, Poland and Cologne, Germany, I’ve  spent a good part of my weekend in Amsterdam wandering the city looking for street […]

• Reply 2011: A Year In Review For cherylhoward.com. | cherylhoward.com January 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM

[…] food, checked out the Dom, took a cable car over the Rhine and even got a tattoo! This is where my obsession for street art began as […]