Czech Republic, Europe, Prague

Weird And Wonderful Prague (Part 1) … In Photos.

October 20, 2011
Weird And Wonderful Prague

Last week, I launched my weird and wonderful” series where I feature photos showing a side of a destination that might not ever appear on a postcard or be included in a guide book. I started by surprising, delighting and even horrifying some readers with the weird and wonderful Milan and this week, I’ll do the same with Prague, Czech Republic.

As I was sorting through my photos, I found it so hard to narrow down my choices (there are *that* many weird and wonderful things) that I decided to break it into two different posts.

So let’s have at it … weird and wonderful Prague.

A Mystery Man.

This statue of a rather gaunt looking, bare foot man resting on a bench resides outside of a small hotel in Prague’s Old Town, just across from Estates Theater.

I spent a good 30 minutes scouring the Internet to find out more information about this mysterious gentleman only to come up with … absolutely nothing.

Well, I did learn that tourists are known to pose for rather inappropriate pictures with him which is not surprising in the very least. You should see the one I took! Just kidding, I left him with his dignity intact figuring he already suffers enough each and every day.

Weird And Wonderful PragueAddress: Estates Theater – Ovocný trh 579/6, 110 00 Praha 1-Staré Město.

A Torture Museum.

Prague has a couple of really offbeat museums, such as the Sex Machines Museum. While I haven’t had the chance to get schooled in sex machines just yet, I visited the Museum of Torture last December where I had a very interesting, not to mention disturbing experience viewing over 60 devices used to torture humans during medieval times.

Unfortunately for those who Google the phrase “how to sexually torture yourself” and arrive at my site, my previous write-up doesn’t offer them any instruction or guidance on the matter.

Weird And Wonderful Prague

Address: Sex Machines Museum – Melantrichova 476/18, Staré Město, 110 00 Praha-Prag. Museum of Torture – Křižovnické náměstí 194/1 Old Town, 11100 Prague-Praga.

Tram Turned Restaurant.

Two trams have been converted into a little dining establishment called Cafe Tramvaj 11. Located in the heart of Wenceslas Square, it’s a bit of a tourist trap but really cute nonetheless.

If you’re a transportation nut, you should definitely check out Výtopna Railway Restaurant (also located in Wenceslas Square) where small trains circulate a 400 meter miniature railway system, passing by every single table.

Weird And Wonderful Prague

Address: Cafe Tramvaj 11 – Václavské náměstí 32, 110 00 Praha-Praga. Výtopna Railway Restaurant – Václavské nám. 56 (Palác Fénix) Praha 1.

A Cow Statue Decorated With Women’s Asses.

This incredibly odd statue is what inspired me to start this “weird and wonderful” series in the first place.

I remember leaving my hotel, taking a shortcut to Wenceslas Square to check out a Christmas market when I stumbled across this eyesore. In complete disbelief and utter shock, I entered a state of deep belly laughing which didn’t stop for about 5 minutes.

I’m quite sure that people passing by me during those moments thought I was completely insane but really … one needs to question the sanity of the statue’s creator.

Weird And Wonderful PragueAddress: Head out through the back exit of Hotel Yasmine and follow the path towards Wenceslas Square. The hotel is located at Politických vězňů 913/12 110 00 Prague 1-Nové Město.

A Guard At Prague Castle.

As I walked closer to this sentry at Prague Castle, I wondered if he was a wax figure or even a robot. There was no way that he was a living and breathing man who didn’t break character even when surrounded by a whole bunch of wild photo snapping tourists.

I found myself wanting to poke or tickle him. You know, to prove that he was real? Fortunately for both of us (mostly me), I managed to keep my behavior in check and left this man to remain standing proudly in his stoic position.

Weird And Wonderful PragueAddress: Prague Castle – Castle District, Prague 1.

Crazy Looking Candy.

After getting over my bull statue encounter, I finally ended up at the Christmas market. I promptly bought my first cup of hot mulled wine (which I had every day throughout the rest of the trip) and some of the red string candy pictured below. Wine and candy pair well together, right?

Unfortunately, the candy wasn’t really that good. Too sweet for my taste and it sent me into a sugar high that made me feel like I’d just had a Red Bull.

Weird And Wonderful Prague Address: Wenceslas Square – Václavské náměstí 68, 110 00 Praha.

A Restaurant’s Rather Prehistoric Decor.

If you go to any restaurant in Prague, eat at Restaurace U Lípy. Stepping inside, you’ll feel like you’ve been transported back in time to an old world, even a prehistoric one as no one’s quite sure about why dinosaur paintings are displayed on the wall.

You’ll be served traditional Czech food by adorable old men (3 or 4 who work there share the exact same name) who will even treat you to live entertainment, performing songs like Rock Around The Clock. Watch this hilarious rendition.

Weird And Wonderful Prague

Weird And Wonderful Prague Address: Restaurace U Lípy – Plzeňská 237 Motol – Háje 150 00, Praha 5.

Can’t get enough? Check out my Weird and Wonderful Prague – Part 2 post!

If you like this post, share it on Pinterest.

Weird & Wonderful Prague

Comments

comments

• Reply Muza-chan October 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Great photos, I love Prague too…

• Reply fotoeins | Henry October 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Ok, that’s pretty weird. 🙂

• Reply Adam October 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’ve been to Prague twice and I don’t think I found as interesting of things to see or do there as you did! Both times I visited I left kind of disappointed, actually.

Great photos, too – especially the one of the bull! Ridiculous!

• Reply Jenna October 20, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Fun!! I have always loved Prague since first visiting in 1996. It keeps changing– the tram restaurant and bull with women in thongs were not there before. In fact, Wenceslas Square was only a bit touristy back then! I can’t wait for your Part 2!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 20, 2011 at 5:41 pm

@Henry – told you it would be a fun post. Wait for the next one. 😉

@Adam – really? That’s too bad. Prague is one of my favorite European cities … not just for all it’s weirdness but it’s beauty too!

@Jenna – funny to think that Wenceslas Square wasn’t touristy. It’s full of them now!

• Reply Sabrina October 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm

How fun! I’ve never been to Prague, but this is unlike other posts I’ve read about this city (that is by the way really high on my want-to-go list). Would love to eat in the railway restaurant!

• Reply Andrea October 20, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Such a fun post! I can’t wait to see Prague =)

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 20, 2011 at 5:58 pm

@Sabrina – Hope you get to visit soon. It’s a quirky but truly beautiful city and esp at night!

@Andrea – Thanks! Can’t wait to hear about your impressions of Prague.

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic October 20, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Yes, Prague! We’re heading there in just over a week, so this was perfect timing. Can’t wait to get mulled hot wine every day…

• Reply Laura October 20, 2011 at 7:32 pm

The restaurant in a tram is funny. I would skip in though. I had one too many meals on trams when a kid.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 20, 2011 at 7:36 pm

@Christy – can’t wait to hear what you think of Prague! Pls report back. 🙂

Not sure if the mulled wine is available just yet … all depends on when the Christmas markets start. If you can’t find it, I’d recommend trying grog or a shot of Becherovka. And of course, don’t forget all that delicious Czech beer.

@Laura – yes, the resto is really cute! I didn’t go in either. I like the concept though.

• Reply Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista October 20, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I really enjoy statues I find while traveling. Some of them seem so unusual and random!

• Reply Cathy Sweeney October 21, 2011 at 12:09 am

Very cool! Would love to find out more about that Mystery Man. The tram restaurant looks so cozy. I think I’d have to check out the Torture Museum, too — as horrific as it might be.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 21, 2011 at 12:13 am

@Debbie – me too! You should see some of the ones in the park near my flat in Berlin. They are hilarious and definitely a topic for a future travel photo Thursday post. 🙂

@Cathy – I want to know more about him too! The tram restaurant has a little patio in warmer weather as well – quite lovely. The torture museum is a hard one to take in, but explores an interesting aspect of our history.

• Reply Claire October 21, 2011 at 12:25 am

I’m going in December and can’t wait, love the photo’s. Looking forward to seeing weird and wonderful Prague!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 21, 2011 at 12:47 am

@Claire – thanks so much! Hope you enjoy your time there. 🙂

• Reply Jim October 21, 2011 at 2:51 am

Yep we laughed and sniggered, and tried peeping in the sex museum , until my wife dragged me away.
    Prague certainly is a very interesting city, one I would like to get back to and spend more time seeking these things out. Thanks Cheryl.

• Reply Michael Figueiredo October 21, 2011 at 4:27 am

I love Prague too. I haven’t been there since 1995 so I’m sure it’s changed a lot. Great photos!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

@Jim – ha ha! I hope to visit that museum someday for the laughs alone.

@Michael – thank you. 🙂

• Reply Leigh October 21, 2011 at 5:44 am

What a nice rundown of off the beaten track sites – great photos to go along with it. I really like The Mystery Man.

I think your idea of weird & wonderful is an excellent one.

• Reply Laurel October 21, 2011 at 10:04 am

I love seeing the offbeat stuff. The tram turned into a restaurant looks especially interesting, as does the Mystery Man.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 21, 2011 at 11:34 am

@Leigh – thanks so much! I’ll have a new installment for next week’s travel photo Thursday too. 🙂

@Laurel – me too. I really wish I knew the story behind that statue!

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica October 22, 2011 at 12:10 am

I felt like I could have walked the streets of Prague for days. Just so much to take in. Love the tram restaurant.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 22, 2011 at 3:23 pm

@Stephanie – Me too! It’s one of my favorite cities to explore by foot. After writing this post, I find myself wanting to go back …

• Reply Nancie October 25, 2011 at 2:14 am

Great shots, Cheryl. I love the bull; a laugh to start my day.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm

@Nancie – thanks so much! Glad I could provide some humor. 🙂

• Reply The Doors of Szentendre, Hungary. | cherylhoward.com October 28, 2011 at 6:03 pm

[…] of the Losing My Virginity … To Tapas and my Weird and Wonderful series (specifically Prague Part 1 and Part […]

• Reply SPenny January 26, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Please tell me how that bull with those beautiful butts is an eyesore!!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 27, 2013 at 10:35 pm

@SPenny – I won’t lie, the butts are beautiful. But the fact they are on a statue of a bull is weird and yes, an eyesore.

• Reply rvin February 17, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Read your synopsis. Thought I was delusional to seriously consider selling all my possessions, quit my career, and be a citizen of the world. I admire your courage. More power to you! 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 17, 2013 at 10:39 pm

@Rvin – Aww, thanks. It all worked out, and I highly recommend becoming a citizen of the world. 🙂

• Reply Thomas Dembie March 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

Love the list! Prague is such an amazing city. The pub U vystřelenýho oka has something that I would definitely put in the “weird” category – urinals with headrests!

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 22, 2013 at 1:11 pm

@Thomas – Thanks! Hope you got to check out part 2 as well. 🙂

And thanks for the tip! If I were a dude, I’d check out that bathroom. Ha ha …

• Reply Ten Weird and Wonderful Things in Brussels. | cherylhoward.com March 29, 2013 at 12:41 pm

[…] you thought Prague was weird, wait until you see the Weird and Wonderful things that Brussels has in […]

• Reply Carey May 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm

If you look closer you’ll see that the bull is actually a cow. Nice butts, though.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 2, 2013 at 2:07 pm