Budapest, Europe, Hungary

Cruise Along The Danube in Budapest.

October 24, 2011
Budapest - Along the Danube

Do you believe in love at first sight? I do! However, I’m not talking about two people falling head over heels in love with one another but rather travelers falling in love with a destination.

These destinations overwhelm you and in a good way. They bring joyful tears to your eyes. Suddenly, reality’s better than anything you could have ever dreamed. You find yourself so happy that it’s hard to fall asleep at night. Reluctantly you board the plane home and sadness lingers for weeks and months on end, as you mourn the separation. Returning becomes your single obsession.

Who’s my great love? None other than the beautiful city of Budapest. I saw it once last December and knew right away that I’d come back.

Anxiously, I wondered if we’d feel the same way about each other. I had loved Prague too but it didn’t seem quite as special when I came back in July. With Budapest, my worries were for naught as when I returned last month, the second time was just as good as the first and maybe even better. I felt immediately as if I’d come home. Obviously, Berlin is my home but Budapest is a city that I simply adore and will visit time and time again.

Budapest - Along the Danube
I’ve already given you 5 reasons about why you should visit, but let me also convince you through photos. One of the best ways to get to know the city is to take a cruise along the Danube. You’ll whiz past the stunning Parliament building, the architectural marvel that is the Chain Bridge and Buda’s Castle District …

Budapest - Along the DanubeCruising Along the Danube, Hungarian Flag Blowing in the Breeze.

Budapest - Along the DanubeBuda’s Castle District.

Budapest - Along the DanubeOne of the Many Boats That Travels Up and Down the Danube Each Day.

Budapest - Along the DanubeChain Bridge.

Budapest - Along the DanubeParliament.

Budapest - Along the DanubeCityscape.

Budapest - Along the DanubeGellert Hotel.

Budapest - Along the DanubeLike Something Out of a Fairy Tale.

Begin by taking a boat ride during the day and do it all again by taking another boat ride at night when everything is lit up.

Taking one of these cruises along the Danube is fairly cheap and perfect activity for a budget traveler. For those who prefer something more high-end, you could always take a dinner or lunch cruise. Imagine sipping some Hungarian wine while taking in that scenic landscape!

So have I convinced you it’s worth a visit? Have you booked your flight yet? If yes, take me with you.

Comments

comments

• Reply Jeremy Branham October 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Budapest is one of my favorite cities in Europe – very underrated! A cruise along the Danube through Budapest and the 3 other European capitals on its banks would be fun (even though I am not a big fan of cruises, I like the idea of river cruises)

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 25, 2011 at 12:10 am

@Jeremy – I feel the same about Budapest. There’s something quite special about the city. I’m not much of a cruise person either … but this one lasted less then an hour and was really cheap so it was bearable! 🙂

• Reply Andrea October 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm

We didn’t do a boat cruise – looks awesome! Love the B/W pics!!

• Reply Leigh October 25, 2011 at 5:58 pm

What a great set of shots and love the different angles. You’ve convinced me to go. It’s not as overrun with tourists as Prague is it??

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 25, 2011 at 6:08 pm

@Leigh – there are a lot of tourists as anywhere else in Europe, but I didn’t find it as crazy as Prague. And glad I was able to convince you to visit! 🙂

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica October 25, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I have felt this way about London, Prague, and Buenos Aires. I need to find a cheaper place to fall in love with 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 25, 2011 at 7:25 pm

@Stephanie – Ha ha! I need to spend some proper time in London soon. And God, how I long to go back to Budapest!

• Reply Emily Williams October 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm

This city is magnificent. Every bridge presents the whole generation with its customs and views. Everyone should visit it! 🙂 And don’t forget to taste marzipan, it’s more than simply delicious!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm

@Andrea – thanks. It’s a nice and easy way to see more of the city!

@Emily – an underrated city if you ask me and I’ve seen people write about how they don’t like it … I couldn’t imagine why anyone could dislike Budapest at all.

• Reply Don Faust October 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Budapest is definitely on my list. Nice photos – I love the shot with the church.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 25, 2011 at 10:53 pm

@Don – thanks so much! 🙂

• Reply Laurel October 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Love the b&w photos and I believe in love at first sight (with a destination) as well! Haven’t”met” Budapest yet, so our love affair is TBA.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm

@Laurel – Thanks! Hope you make it there soon.

• Reply Ángela Bermúdez October 27, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Cheryl, lovely blog… Will take all your tips for the trip… Just a week and a half to go!!!

• Reply fotoeins October 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Cheryl, I love how you’ve used black-and-white and/or sepia to keep things simple and to highlight just how pretty the city skyline and architecture are. I’ve been to Budapest only once, but posts like these are a great reminder why the place is worth visiting. Thanks for your post!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 28, 2011 at 4:31 pm

@Ángela – thank you so much for visiting. Glad you like my blog. Will send you tips soon! I hope you’ll love Budapest as mush as me. 🙂

@Fotoeins – thanks! The pics look soooo much better in B/W. The day I took those shots it was really sunny and bright making the colored ones look washed out …

• Reply The Doors of Szentendre, Hungary. | cherylhoward.com October 31, 2011 at 7:57 pm

[…] better if you can make it there in the off-season! This place is just reason 1,236,789 as to why I love Budapest so […]

• Reply A Weekend Guide to Budapest - Volume 1. | cherylhoward.com July 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

[…] tried a day cruise along the Danube for the first time last September and while it was really nice, nothing beats seeing Budapest at […]

• Reply Photos: The Chain Bridge in Budapest at Night. | cherylhoward.com January 21, 2013 at 2:40 pm

[…] on each side by two regal and fierce-looking lions, this bridge almost begs you to walk across it, cruise under it along the Danube and take […]

• Reply RiverCruisesBudapest January 29, 2017 at 4:18 pm