Berlin, Europe, Expat Living, Germany

A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin

November 2, 2011
Volkspark Friedrichshain

A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin

I’m not sure I could ever live in tropical climate because I love the changing of seasons so much. I’m a Canadian girl at heart and will never be able to live anywhere where I can’t watch the miracle of spring’s growth, enjoy long lazy summer days, pull out my favorite fall fashion, and wake up to a white Christmas.

A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin

As Berlin’s cold wet summer turned into a warm sunny fall, I’ve noticed just how beautiful the city has become. The leaves have changed color, fallen off the trees, and created a carpet of color on the ground below.

A recent move to a new flat in Berlin Prenzlauer Berg placed me even closer to my favorite local park, the Volkspark Friedrichshain. Yesterday, I woke up early and went for a walk  in the park to find it bathed in the most glorious light.

I don’t wake up early very often, but this beautiful fall day in Berlin was worth dragging my lazy butt out of bed for …

Photos of Volkspark Friedrichshain in Fall

A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin A Beautiful Fall Day in Berlin

I couldn’t think of a better way to start my day in Berlin! It’s days like this that make me realize that my move abroad is completely worth it despite some of the difficulties I may encounter sometimes like language barriers (working on that) and missing home (a visit’s coming up soon).

I left my park feeling renewed and more determined to stay in Berlin than ever.

Good to Know

1. If you’d like to find out more about living in Berlin, read my Berlin Expat Life page, filled with information about making friends in Berlin, finding a job in Berlin, and more.
  2. If you’re new to Berlin and are looking to make friends, join this meetup group hosted by me and Travels of Adam. We host fun events each month at different bars around the city.
  3. If you’re visiting Berlin, consider checking out my new Berlin guidebook app, now available for purchase on iTunes. Experience Berlin like a local over the course of three days, hanging out at hotspots and touring historical sites in Kreuzberg, Prenzlauer Berg, and Neukölln.
Facebook Comments

• Reply paul sullivan November 2, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Lovely!

• Reply casie stewart November 2, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Lovely! I can’t wait to visit Berlin 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

@Paul – thank you so much!

@Casie – aside from Berlin being one of the most awesome places on earth, Jessica and I give you two reasons for you to visit. 🙂

• Reply Turkey's For Life November 2, 2011 at 6:30 pm

It’s autumn here, too (although we still have a while to go before the leaves fall from the trees). I think I’d miss the change in seasons if we didn’t get them here. Autumn is my favourite time of year.
    Julia

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 3, 2011 at 9:56 am

@Julia – think it’s mine too. I find it beautiful and romantic! I even love winter for the same reason. Can’t wait.

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic November 3, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Lovely photos! Reminds me why I love fall. 🙂

• Reply Andrea November 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm

You really did have beautiful light for this – such a gorgeous park! Thanks so much for such a great tour yesterday – we had so much fun =) Was wonderful to see you again.

• Reply Sherry November 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Wonderful! I think the yellow color is my favorite fall colors. I love this time of the year. Messy but beautiful.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 5, 2011 at 1:11 am

@Andrea – the walk was like something out of a dream. Berlin’s parks are amazing! Glad you enjoyed the P-berg tour. It was such a fun time hanging out with you guys. 🙂

@Sherry – thanks. It’s a beautiful time of the year and must be enjoyed while it lasts.

• Reply Laurel November 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Fall reminds me of home as well and is my favorite time of year for hiking. You can take the girl out of Canada, but you can’t take the Canada out of the girl 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 5, 2011 at 1:09 am

@Christy – Thanks!

@Laurel – Very very true about us Canadian girls. 🙂

• Reply Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad November 4, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Lovely photos of autumn! Great colours; it’s been a while since I’ve seen something like that

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 5, 2011 at 1:12 am

@jarmo – thanks so much. 🙂

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica November 5, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Love the one with the leaves on the bench.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm

@Stephanie – thanks so much! I like the one with the girl walking … currently my desktop wallpaper! 🙂

• Reply Ingo November 8, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Reminds me of my walk throug Bürgerpark Friedrichshain this morning… Lovely!

• Reply multikulinaria November 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Lovely pics! I regret not to have more time to make use of the current stunning autumn weather. You must know, that this fall is completely atypical. Normally after reasonably beautiful fall weather in September/October November ist the most dreaded month of the year, being grey, wet and ugly…

So let’s enjoy November 2011 as much as we can! 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm

@Ingo – thanks so much! Glad to hear you enjoyed your walk as well. 🙂

@multikulinaria – thank you. I’ve been trying to enjoy every moment of this beautiful weather. I wish winter would stay far far away!

• Reply Paul Ikin November 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Beautiful pics! I live across the road from Volkspark Hasenheide in Neukolln, it’s so nice there too. How good is Berlin autumn? 🙂

• Reply Joe November 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Outstanding. Makes me miss Berlin and wish my move could happen earlier.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm

@Paul – thank you for your kind words. Berlin autumn has been awesome!

@Joe – thanks! Hope you make it to Berlin soon.

• Reply TheResa November 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm

lovely! i’ve been feeling the same way on my early morning bike rides through Tiergarten to work. thanks for the post and the pictures, and the timely reminder of the joy of living in Berlin, despite the challenges as an expat (as am I).

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm

@TheResa – thanks for your kind comment! I haven’t been to the Tiergarten yet but am thinking of heading there on Thursday to do some more photos. Looking forward to it!

Glad I could be of help … it can be tough here sometimes but then you have a morning like this and it seems all your worries melt away.

• Reply ebe November 9, 2011 at 10:28 am

As always, sigh inducingly gorgeous photography. And capturing two of my favorite things- Berlin & Fall.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 9, 2011 at 12:20 pm

@Ebe – thank you so much. Two of my fav things as well. 🙂

• Reply Sabrina November 16, 2011 at 10:10 pm

How pretty! As much as I love the daily blue sky here in Texas with tons of sunlight, I sometimes miss the German fall weather – if even only for a short walk in a leaves-filled park. Gorgeous!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm

@Sabrina – thank you! It was a gorgeous day and I feel blessed to have experienced it.

• Reply Cheryl Howard Shares Her Insider Secrets on Moving to Germany... - Daily Women Travel Tips | Trekity.com September 3, 2013 at 9:01 pm

[…] about the city taking photographs, especially in the autumn. Fall in Berlin is […]