Europe, Poland, Szczecin

Szczecin’s Surprising Street Art.

November 5, 2011

My Love For Street Art

I’m not exactly sure when my love for street art began. It might have been when I moved to Berlin or when I watched Exit Through The Gift Shop with friends at a local park this summer.  I suddenly started to notice street art wherever I went, like in Cologne’s Belgian quarter last month and yesterday in Szczecin, Poland.

Poland’s largest sea port is a cute little city full of beautiful architecture, nice restaurants and really friendly people. Only a two hour train ride away from Berlin, I thought it would be a great way to spend the day with a visiting friend from Toronto. Not only would she spend a week in Germany’s greatest city (I’m obviously biased … ) but a day in Poland too!

As we walked around, we both took delight in finding the street art which seemed to be everywhere … on bridges, church walls, residential homes and even monuments.

Szczecin
I quite like the word “Polako” wrote out on this bridge.

Szczecin
I also liked this smoking mouse which seems very reminiscent of Banksy!

Szczecin
And of course a street art collection wouldn’t be complete without … Sponge Bob Square Pants!

Szczecin

Last but not least, my very favorite … “Cash Rules Everything Around Me.”

Szczecin

While you’d think that street art is more typical of a large liberal and creative city like Berlin, it was surprising to find it so prevalent in a lesser known smaller Polish city. Turns out that Szczecin has a Street Artists festival every July … I’d love to attend this next year! How about you?

Comments

comments

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic November 6, 2011 at 1:30 PM

My love affair with street art started in Berlin as well. 🙂 I really dig that first photo – it’s kind of creepy but oddly cool at the same time.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2011 at 2:05 PM

@Christy – Thanks so much! Hope you guys make it back to Berlin soon so we can meet in person. 🙂

• Reply Kurt W November 6, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Interesting photos. Street art is a great way to capture the flavor of a city. The one of the mouse reminds me of a Banksy piece.

• Reply Andrea November 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Cool! Will have to keep my eyes out for great street art in Krakow

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2011 at 6:01 PM

@Kurt – Thanks for your comment and visiting my site! Yes, when I saw the smoking mouse I thought of Banksy right away.

@Andrea – I wish you could take me with you to Krakow. I need to get there soon.

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica November 6, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Very interesting. I just realized I haven’t read many articles about traveling in Poland. I know so little about the country.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2011 at 9:17 PM

@Stephanie – It’s a country I hope to explore more of in the coming months. Not sure why but I love dark emo countries and Eastern Europe in general!

• Reply A City By Day: Szczecin, Poland. | cherylhoward.com November 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM

[…] United States Szczecin’s Surprising Street Art. […]

• Reply Where to Eat in Szczecin, Poland. | cherylhoward.com November 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM

[…] “fuel” to keep on going, especially if you’re going to walk around seeking out street art, so make sure you stop, grab a bite to eat and maybe sling back a nice glass of Polish beer (or […]

• Reply Street Art in Amsterdam. | cherylhoward.com December 11, 2011 at 9:12 AM

[…] like when I traveled to Szczecin, Poland and Cologne, Germany, I ‘ve spent a good part of my time in Amsterdam wandering the city […]

• Reply mivvy December 12, 2011 at 5:49 PM

I am a great lover of street art and always take photos when I see some beauties. I haven’t been to Szczecin yet (only to Warsaw and Gdansk), but it is high on my where-i-want-to-go list

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM

@Mivvy – Szczecin is lovely. Won’t need more than a day, two max. And an easy day trip from Berlin. 🙂

• Reply Street Art and Graffiti in Gdansk, Poland. | cherylhoward.com April 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM

[…] built up quite the collection of street art in Poland! You can check out my photos from Krakow and Szczecin here. Related Posts:Even More Street Art in Amsterdam.Graffiti And Street Art In Berlin – […]

• Reply Graffiti And Street Art In Szczecin, Poland - Part 2. | cherylhoward.com July 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM

[…] to be missed is my first post about street art and graffiti in Szczecin. You might also like my other posts about street art and graffiti in Gdansk and street art and […]