Europe, Poland, Szczecin

A City By Day: Szczecin, Poland.

November 6, 2011
Szczecin

A Day Trip from Berlin to …Ā  Szczecin, Poland.

One of the great things about living in Berlin and Europe is that you can easily wake up one morning and decide to go to another country. Thinking it was about time to add another country to my list of places traveled and indulge in my love for Eastern Europe, I woke up last Friday morning and took a day trip to Szczecin, Poland.

Like the time I wandered through the streets of Havana, I opted not to bring a guide book or map and walked through the streets of Szczecin with no plan in mind. There was no visit to castles or cathedrals. It was just me and a friend from Toronto touring the city with our cameras in hand.

Aside from being captivated by the street art, I was struck by how the city was both ugly and pretty all at once.

Fall Is a Beautiful Season Everywhere Szczecin

Szczecin

This little day trip was so fantastic that I’m currently working on planning a trip to Krakow and Warsaw.

Comments

comments

• Reply fotoeins | Henry November 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Cheryl,

In a way, how the ugly and the fascinating stand side by side in Berlin is what draws me to the Hauptstadt. So, your photos of Szczecin are right up my alley, too. I’m very interested in seeing Krakow and Warsaw; so, I’m looking forward to reading about your future visits.

Thanks for your post!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM

@Henry – thanks for your comment. Not sure when I’ll get there but hopefully in the new year sometime. Next up is a weekend in either Hamburg or Dresden and in December, Amsterdam!

• Reply Jackie D November 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM

These pictures are great! Where I work, people are always asking how to get to this city (and also how to spell it. That “zcz” combo is a killer.) I see that you also might be going to Dresden soon and I would definitely recommend it, that city is amazing! And way cheap. And also very pretty/ugly.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM

@Jackie – thanks so much! I really love taking pics and well … traveling is an excuse to be inspired and practice.

Yes, hoping to couch surf one of these days in December. šŸ™‚

• Reply A City By Night: Szczecin, Poland. | cherylhoward.com November 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM

[…] United States A City By Day: Szczecin, Poland. […]

• Reply Where to Eat in Szczecin, Poland. | cherylhoward.com November 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM

[…] you spending a day walking through Szczecin, Poland taking pictures of the city by day and later by night you start to get pretty tired. You’ll need “fuel” to keep on […]

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic November 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Ah, we had grand intentions of making a day trip to Szczecin, but never quite got around to it… lazy travelers we are! Seeing your photos makes me wish we had gone. šŸ™‚

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM

@Christy – Berlin is a city that you can spend years getting to know, never mind escaping to go to Poland for the day. You’ll have to save it for next time! šŸ™‚

• Reply Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad November 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Great photos! Sometimes there is nothing better than walking around an unknown city at random.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 9, 2011 at 8:34 PM

@Jarno – thank you! I agree as everything ends up becoming a pleasant surprise.

@Stephanie – thanks. šŸ™‚

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica November 9, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Wonderful photos! Always great to see a part of the world I have not yet visited.

• Reply Andrea November 10, 2011 at 12:40 AM

I’m loving all the colourful houses and buildings in Poland!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM

@Andrea – Quite lovely, isn’t it. I sooo want to go back right now but I have to wait next month for Amsterdam. Tough life. šŸ˜‰

• Reply Cole @ FourJandals November 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

We are planning to visit Poland next year. Your photos definitely made it look more lovely than ugly I think! Will make sure we stop in, even if it is only for a few hours. Cheers

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 11, 2011 at 6:05 PM

@Cole – thank you so much. Glad I was able to convince you to slate in a visit to Szczecin. šŸ™‚

• Reply 2011: A Year In Review For cherylhoward.com. | cherylhoward.com January 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM

[…] a day trip from Berlin to a Polish border town. We had fun walking through Szczecin taking photos by day, later at night and trying out a couple of local […]