Europe, Poland, Szczecin

A City By Day: Szczecin Poland

November 6, 2011

A City By Day: Szczecin Poland

One of the great things about living in Berlin and Europe is that you can easily wake up one morning and decide to go to another country. Thinking it was about time to add another country to my list of places traveled and indulge in my immense love for Eastern Europe, I woke up last Friday morning and took a day trip to Szczecin, Poland

Like the time I wandered through the streets of Havana, I opted not to bring a guide book or map and walked through the streets of Szczecin with no plan in mind. There was no visit to castles or cathedrals. It was just me and a friend from Toronto touring the city with our cameras in hand.

A City By Day: Szczecin Poland

Aside from being captivated by the Szczecin street art, I was struck by how the city was both ugly and pretty all at once. Here are my first impressions of Szczecin Poland

We started our journey from the city’s main train station.

Szczecin

Next, we made our way towards the Oder river where we spied these men fishing.

Szczecin

This is me, with my fresh new red hair, posing in all my cheesy glory.

Szczecin

Old trams. Autumn leaves. My goodness, Szczecin Poland was pulling out some romantic stops.

Szczecin

Of course, there was more romance in the details.

Szczecin

I was seriously digging all of the Polish architecture.

Szczecin

Which of course, gets even more beautiful at sunset.

Szczecin

This little day trip was so fantastic that I’m currently working on planning a weekend trip to Krakow.

Do you dig the vibe of Szczecin Poland? Check out these posts:

1. Instagramming Szczecin, Poland
  2. Instatrip: Szczecin Photos
  3. Szczecin Street Art

Need a place to stay when you’re visiting Szczecin Poland? Check out hotels on booking.com.

Booking.com

If you like this post, share it on Pinterest.

Szczecin Poland

Facebook Comments

• Reply fotoeins | Henry November 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Cheryl,

In a way, how the ugly and the fascinating stand side by side in Berlin is what draws me to the Hauptstadt. So, your photos of Szczecin are right up my alley, too. I’m very interested in seeing Krakow and Warsaw; so, I’m looking forward to reading about your future visits.

Thanks for your post!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2011 at 9:18 pm

@Henry – thanks for your comment. Not sure when I’ll get there but hopefully in the new year sometime. Next up is a weekend in either Hamburg or Dresden and in December, Amsterdam!

• Reply Jackie D November 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm

These pictures are great! Where I work, people are always asking how to get to this city (and also how to spell it. That “zcz” combo is a killer.) I see that you also might be going to Dresden soon and I would definitely recommend it, that city is amazing! And way cheap. And also very pretty/ugly.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm

@Jackie – thanks so much! I really love taking pics and well … traveling is an excuse to be inspired and practice.

Yes, hoping to couch surf one of these days in December. 🙂

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic November 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Ah, we had grand intentions of making a day trip to Szczecin, but never quite got around to it… lazy travelers we are! Seeing your photos makes me wish we had gone. 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 8, 2011 at 7:56 pm

@Christy – Berlin is a city that you can spend years getting to know, never mind escaping to go to Poland for the day. You’ll have to save it for next time! 🙂

• Reply Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad November 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Great photos! Sometimes there is nothing better than walking around an unknown city at random.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm

@Jarno – thank you! I agree as everything ends up becoming a pleasant surprise.

@Stephanie – thanks. 🙂

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica November 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Wonderful photos! Always great to see a part of the world I have not yet visited.

• Reply Andrea November 10, 2011 at 12:40 am

I’m loving all the colourful houses and buildings in Poland!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 10, 2011 at 4:51 pm

@Andrea – Quite lovely, isn’t it. I sooo want to go back right now but I have to wait next month for Amsterdam. Tough life. 😉

• Reply Cole @ FourJandals November 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm

We are planning to visit Poland next year. Your photos definitely made it look more lovely than ugly I think! Will make sure we stop in, even if it is only for a few hours. Cheers

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm

@Cole – thank you so much. Glad I was able to convince you to slate in a visit to Szczecin. 🙂