Berlin, Europe, Expat Living, Germany

Germany’s Occupy Berlin Protest.

November 12, 2011
occupyberlin13

Right now, if you were to ask me how I like living life as an “expat” in Berlin, I’d tell that you it’s pretty fucking amazing.

Where else can you take part in such an important part of history? Today’s Occupy Berlin protest saw over 8000 people come together (and 10,000 more in Frankfurt) to protest social and economic inequality.

The occupy movement began in July 2011 and has since spread all around the world. People are camping out on Wall Street and in other financial districts with the hopes of bringing about positive change.

Joined today by Adam from Travels of Adam, we set about to observe the local Berlin protest in action.Ā  As we approached the crowd, we saw the human chain they forged around major monuments … in this case Germany’s parliament, the Reichstag.

The chain was then broken and the crowd briefly gathered on the lawn of the Reichstag.

What did we see? Happy, smiling people playing musical instruments and carrying signs with various messages.

Occupy Berlin
We were then directed by men using loud speakers to proceed to Brandenberg Gate (Brandenberg Tor).

Occupy Berlin
It was at the historic Brandenberg Gate that many enthusiastic speeches were given. Sadly, my German is so poor that I was unable to understand what was being said (more motivation to better my German ASAP).

Occupy Berlin
It was an absolutely profound experience to be part of such a special event and I even hope to visit the local Occupy Berlin camp very soon to talk with the people camped there and find out more about their motivations and aspirations. I also hope that the Occupy Movement will continue to gain more momentum and bring about the social change their participants desire.

To find out more about today’s protest, check out this article on RT.com. To keep up on news in Berlin, check out this Facebook page.

• Reply fotoeins November 12, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Cheryl,

I’m glad the weather cooperated, and lots of people showed up. Thanks to your post and photos, it was a lot like being there.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 13, 2011 at 4:39 pm

@fotoeins – Thanks, it was an amazing experience.

• Reply Andrea November 13, 2011 at 9:03 pm

“We don’t want to bail out stupid greedy fuckups” – love it!!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 14, 2011 at 5:05 pm

@Andrea – That sign was my favorite!

• Reply Elizabeth November 14, 2011 at 10:19 pm

This is really interesting to see. Especially because I just visited the occupy protest in DC – http://www.travelingliz.com/2011/11/photos-of-occupy-dc.html.

Its amazing how much this movement has spread.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 15, 2011 at 12:28 am

@Elizabeth – thanks for your comment. I certainly hope that positive change will spread as a result of the occupy movement. šŸ™‚

• Reply Sherry November 15, 2011 at 11:34 am

I am intrigued most at how global this has become. Its really shows the power of a combined effort. “We don’t want to bailout greedy stupid fuckups” should be one of their slogans – I certainly agree.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm

@Sherry – I’m also intrigued … will be great to watch how it progresses.

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica November 16, 2011 at 1:38 am

Always good to start off a post with the f-bomb šŸ™‚

Cool to see international perspectives on this international issue.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 16, 2011 at 2:36 am

@Stephanie – Ha ha … got to keep it real. šŸ˜‰ I’m really impressed by the movement but no so impressed that many of the camps have been getting shut down over the past couple of days.

• Reply Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad November 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Interesting to look at all the signs, as they all start with #Occupy. Very twitterish kind of protest!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 18, 2011 at 2:08 pm

@Jarno – I like the signs too … I like how original some people get … like the lady riding around with the wall street bull on the back of her bike!

• Reply Laurel November 21, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I agree with you and Andrea, that sign definitely caught my attention.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 22, 2011 at 10:20 am

@Laurel – It’s kind of hard to ignore it that’s for sure. šŸ˜‰