Czech Republic, Europe, Prague

Walking In A Winter Wonderland … A Prague Castle Tour.

November 24, 2011
v

It was a cold, dark and quiet December morning. Looking out the window, I saw it was snowing. Large white flakes were falling gently to the ground. It was beautiful, much like a scene ripped out of an old fashioned black and white movie depicting a picture perfect winter wonderland. It seemed an appropriate time to curl up at home on the couch with a fuzzy blanket, a cup of hot tea and a good book.

While that would be a lovely way to spend a cold winter day, I wasn’t home but on holiday in Eastern Europe. And it was time to leave my hotel room and head out with my group for a tour of Prague Castle! Such a tough life …

I’d seen the castle from afar the day before while walking along the Charles Bridge during a Prague by Night tour. Perched on the banks of the Vltava river, the lit-up castle and it’s massive 70,000 square meter complex is impressive at a first glance.

Prague Castle

Of course, it was love at first sight and I was eager to explore the castle the next morning. While grey skies and a winter snowstorm may keep some people holed up in their hotel room or on the couch at home, it couldn’t have been a better time to take the tour.

This was our swoon-worthy view as we approached the castle complex.

Prague Castle
It was even decorated for Christmas!

Prague Castle
Castle guards keeping watch.

Prague Castle

It felt like I was looking into someone’s snow globe.

Prague Castle
Walking in to the castle grounds, we came to Saint Vitus’ Cathedral where we slipped inside to view the interior and warm-up for a bit.

Prague Castle
Wandering back outside, we learned more about the history of Prague Castle and were given time to take in all that Roman and Gothic architecture.

Prague Castle
This Prague Castle tour was really like taking a walk through a winter wonderland and the weather just added to the experience. I wouldn’t have had it any other way!

If you like this post, share it on Pinterest.

Prague Castle in Winter

Comments

comments

• Reply fotoeins | Henry November 24, 2011 at 5:14 am

Cheryl,

It looks like you approached the castle from the north side. I like how big the snow bokeh is in those first few photos. Prague Castle is beautiful on its own, but is it just me or does the muted diffuse grey winter light seem to emphasize the yellows? Looked cold enough, too!

Thanks for your post!

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic November 24, 2011 at 7:45 am

It looks so much prettier in the snow!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 24, 2011 at 10:17 am

@Christy and Henry – thanks for your comments! šŸ™‚

• Reply Muza-chan November 24, 2011 at 11:46 am

Lovely photos šŸ™‚

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 24, 2011 at 5:50 pm

@Muza-chan and Denise – thanks for your comments. These cities are stunning all year round, but there’s something quite special about them in the winter.

• Reply Denise November 24, 2011 at 11:19 am

I love the way you managed to capture the snow flakes on camera. I have mixed feelings about visiting cities in winter, especially when the city in question has very harsh ones. I feel actual, sharp physical pain wondering in the cold, but gosh aren’t cities like Prague, Budapest and Zurich stunning in the snow!

• Reply Clara November 24, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Gorgeous photos! I used to live in Prague and always loved the castle best in the snow. It’s so beautiful!

• Reply Leigh November 24, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Looks like a great time to visit.
    What a complex. i had no idea it was that big.
    Fantastic photo inside the cathedral & loved your night time shot.

• Reply Andrea November 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Ahhhh – so pretty!! We saw snow on a whole bunch of trees today just outside Vienna – looked magical =)

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 24, 2011 at 11:02 pm

@Leigh – thanks so much! The complex is huge … we didn’t even scratch the surface on ou walk either. I hope to make it back someday.

@Andrea – Vienna is also beautiful during the winter. So lucky you go to see it! šŸ™‚

• Reply Yvonne November 24, 2011 at 10:24 pm

awww. love this post. definitely need to visit Prague soon.

• Reply Sherry November 24, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I’d really like to hop on a plane now and head to Prague. I love the snowing photos with the snowballs best. They make it so much more of a winter wanderland!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 24, 2011 at 11:03 pm

@Yvonne – let’s make it a girls get away weekend! šŸ˜€

@Sherry – it was like being inside a snow globe. Seriously!

• Reply Laurel November 24, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Beautiful, I think most castles are even more beautiful in winter when covered with a bit of snow, and especially at Christmas when they’re decorated.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 24, 2011 at 11:00 pm

@Clara – it really is beautiful in the wintertime! Lucky that you got to live in Prague! šŸ™‚

@Laurel – agree. Good thing us Canadian gals can withstand the cold winter and are up for checking out castles no matter how cold it is. šŸ˜‰

• Reply Jenna November 25, 2011 at 2:46 am

I love visiting European cities in the winter. The first time I ever went to Prague was a snowy winter day in 1996. Your beautiful photographs brought back some nice memories. šŸ™‚

• Reply Nancie November 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Stunning shots. Love those snow flakes; perfect scenes for Christmas cards.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 26, 2011 at 11:30 am

@Jenna – awww, glad I was able to bring back some good memories.

@Nancie – thank you so much! šŸ™‚

• Reply Roy Marvelous November 25, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Ah, when I lived there, I loved Prague most during Christmas time.

• Reply Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad November 26, 2011 at 3:01 am

Looks gorgeous. Almost, makes me look forward to getting back to Europe and seeing snow. Almost, but would still prefer to stay here with the beaches šŸ˜‰

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 26, 2011 at 11:31 am

@Roy – ahhhh, lucky you! I wouldn’t mind living there sometime myself. šŸ™‚

@Jarmo – you are an Arctic Nomad, I’d thought you prefer the snow. LOL!

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica November 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Gorgeous! I would be willing to brave the cold to see Prague again in the Winter.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 28, 2011 at 12:27 am

@Stephanie – thanks! It’s sooooo nice there this time of year.

• Reply Cole @ FourJandals December 6, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Brrrr – pretty though. Can’t wait to visit Prague. Just have to find the time, maybe winter would be the best after these photos šŸ™‚

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm

@Cole – it’s one of my favorite cities! I hope you’ll love it as much as I do. šŸ™‚

• Reply jade December 6, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I’m pretty sure every European city looks better covered in snow. Love the snow falling pictures!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

@Jade – True dat! šŸ˜‰ And thanks for your compliment!

• Reply AndreasHolm December 15, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I like very this and is great to see this too and woow very good picture

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 15, 2011 at 11:11 pm

@Andreas – Thank you!

• Reply Expatriate Tax December 22, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Beautiful pictures! I love them!

• Reply A Magical Moment In Budapest. | cherylhoward.com April 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm

[…] awestruck and happy. Whether it be waking up really early to watch the sunrise in Costa Brava or walking through castle grounds in Prague on a snowy winter day, I absolutely live for these types of moments. They’re what inspires me to keep on […]

• Reply Sidonie Gnauck August 3, 2012 at 7:44 am

Prague at Christmas, the markets, the Castle, the wonderful myriad of streets, one of my Favourite places to visit. Your photos bring back wonderful memories.

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 3, 2012 at 6:45 pm

@Sidonie – Prague is wonderful, isn’t it? Glad you enjoyed the post!

• Reply Jackie Smith December 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Nothing like snowflakes to make the setting look like a Christmas fairy tale.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 1, 2012 at 9:48 pm

@Jackie – It was such a happy moment. Being a new visitor to Europe, your first time visiting castles and the like are always really special but the snow just completed the mood.

• Reply Hotel Yasmin in Prague, Czech Republic. | cherylhoward.com January 31, 2013 at 11:48 pm

[…] day but we were only in Prague for 2 days and I needed to experience the romance of it by night and walk in a winter wonderland as we toured the […]