Budapest, Europe, Hungary

A Foggy Day At Heroes Square in Budapest.

December 4, 2011

Heroes Square is one of Budapest’s most iconic and flamboyant monuments (or at least that’s what Lonely Planet’s Budapest City Guide says). Located at the end of Andrássy út, this square built in 1896 for the Millennium Celebrations is chalk full of statues of celebrated Hungarian heroes like the 7 tribal leaders that founded the country in the 9th century, St. Stephen and King Mathias Corvinus.

Hősök tere
If at all possible, I always try to avoid “tourist traps” like Heroes Square (Hősök tere in Hungarian) but there are some landmarks that beg to be visited at least once and this is one of them. Yet because of it’s central location, I find myself coming here time and time again whenever I’m in Budapest.  I have more photos of this place then I care to admit … at night, during the day, in winter, in summer etc.

Lucky for you, I’ve narrowed it down to a small sampling of my favorite photos from my unnecessarily large collection. Last December, I visited Heroes Square on a foggy December day. Seeing statues of the kings and their equestrian companions cloaked in a fine grey mist added an air of mystery, darkness and romance to the moment.

Hősök tere
Aside from staring at all of the statues and pondering their historical significance, why else would you visit Heroes Square in Budapest? While the square was once a site for massive Communist demonstrations, it’s now used for events like concerts, fairs and even graduation ceremonies for newly anointed policemen and women. Canadians like me certainly love the fact that part of the square is set-up as an ice rink in the wintertime.

Hősök tere
While I’d rather be behind a camera than in front of one, every once and I while I have to throw in some photographic evidence that I’ve visited the places I write about on cherylhoward.com. You know, add to my “street cred” and show you that I’m real.

Hősök tere
If Heroes Square isn’t your thing (do visit at least once though), it’s located next to plenty of other places that might strike your fancy. Into museums? Visit the Museum of Fine Arts or the Palace of Fine Arts. Want to relax outdoors or take in a castle? Check out the City Park. Last but not least, the site is located close to one of my favorite places in the world, Szechenyi Baths!

Comments

comments

• Reply James Cook December 5, 2011 at 12:25 am

Great photos the mist makes everything look sort of spooky!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 5, 2011 at 8:39 am

@James – thank you! It was a cool time to view the monument.

• Reply Zablon Mukuba December 6, 2011 at 4:22 am

i love your photos, they are very nice

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica December 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm

That is some serious fog! I usually cheat and change my photos to black and white when the sky isn’t pretty. But these photos look great just the way they are.

• Reply Laurel December 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I don’t like visiting the touristy things either, but things like Heroes Square are popular for a reason and definitely worthy of a visit.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm

@Zablon – why thank you!

@Stephanie – thanks. I love how fog enhances pictures … I usually change mine to black and white too, mostly on bright sunny days!

@Laurel – for sure. It’s beautiful and full of historical significance. I’ve now seen the square more times than I can count … I no longer feel the need to stop. 🙂

• Reply Andrea December 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Ooooh – love these shots of the square – beautiful, haunting and different!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm

@Andrea – Thank you! I’ve become a bit obsessed with weather when I travel. I actually prefer overcast or foggy days to bright and sunny ones. 🙂

• Reply Cole @ Four Jandals January 5, 2012 at 3:37 pm

At least the weather probably kept the crowds away! Cool photos and we would definitely visit.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm

@Cole – thank you! It’s worth a quick stop in the very least and you end up passing it time and time again anyway because of it’s central location.

• Reply Yves June 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm

budapest is at the top of my list of places to visit, these pics make me ever more impatient

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

@Yves- You absolutely *must* go there. It’s my second home after Berlin! Hope you make it to Budapest soon. 🙂

• Reply A Weekend Guide to Budapest - Volume 1. | cherylhoward.com July 22, 2012 at 1:19 pm

[…] avenue is flanked by beautiful architecture that will leave you gasping in delight. It ends at Heroes Square, where you’ll also find a lovely city park complete with its own castle, the Budapest zoo, […]