Czech Republic, Europe, Prague

December 6, 2011
Christmas Markets: Old Town Square in Prague.

Prague’s Wenceslas Square plays host to a pretty decent Christmas market, but an even better market can be found in the city’s Old Town Square. Really, where would you rather go? To a market located along a street flanked with shops like Sephora and H & M or a market set amidst architectural marvels like St. Nicholas Church or the Church of Our Lady before Týn? I don’t know about you but I’d choose the latter …

Christmas Markets: Old Town Square in Prague.

I’ve already talked about how special Christmas markets are to me, but I have to admit that I’m starting to experience a certain amount of fatigue with them. It seems the same formula can be applied to Christmas Markets everywhere … hot wine, street meat, stalls full of junk (errr, underwear!), music, big crowds and carnival rides.

Despite this, I love Christmastime in Europe and will continue to visit them whenever possible. The only difference between me one year ago and me today? I no longer have the desire to attend every single one out there and will only head to really nice markets in amazing locations such as the one in Berlin’s Schloss Charlottenburg.

So in Prague’s battle of Christmas markets, the one set in Old Town Square wins.

Christmas Markets: Old Town Square in Prague.

So you know how I mentioned that stalls at Christmas markets are full of junk. Check out this video for further proof …

If you like this post, share it on Pinterest.

Prague Christmas Market - Old Town Square

Comments

comments

• Reply mivvy December 7, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Lovely photos, were they taken last year when it snowed during December?

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM

@Mivvy – Thanks! Yep, they were taken on a very cold December day where it snowed on/off. 🙂

• Reply Andrea December 7, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Looks like great fun! (though I am NOT missing the cold in Europe)

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 7, 2011 at 5:23 PM

@Andrea – Christmas in Europe is amaaazzzing! I’m *almost* sad to be headed home to Toronto … last year I seriously had my best Christmas yet. 🙂

• Reply Al Duggan December 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Absolutely, Mivvy. Really great pictures! Looking forward to some snow soon.

• Reply James Cook December 8, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Slightly jealous that you get a white Christmas I haven’t had one for years!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 9, 2011 at 12:59 AM

@Al – We still haven’t had any snow yet in Berlin … but instead loads of rain. I too am looking forward to some snow filled days.

@James – This was last year … I hope I’ll have a white Christmas this year but I’m headed home to Toronto. Fingers crossed it will be all snowy and stuff!

• Reply Jade Johnston - OurOyster.com December 9, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Wow It looks beautiful! We are in Australia this Christmas making it our second summer christmas in a row – summer Christmases are weird!

• Reply Pete December 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Wonderful photos Cheryl. It’s funny how I think I hate the snow, and then I see photos like this and I want to be in it again. It must be the CDN in me.

We have to get to Prague…

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica December 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Now I want to spend Christmas in Prague!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 11, 2011 at 8:39 AM

@Jade – Prague is lovely at this time of year! I have had Christmas without snow, but to think of having one in hot sunny weather would seem weird at first. Hope you enjoy nonetheless. 😉

@Pete – Thanks so much. Get to Prague stat! And while there’s snow on the ground.

@Stephane – Awww, I’m sure being in BA won’t be so bad. 🙂

• Reply Laurel December 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Beautiful! I still enjoy meeting friends over a mug of Gluehwein at different Christmas markets, but I’m over buying the junk as well!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 11, 2011 at 8:41 AM

@Laurel – I read these descriptions of markets having hand-crafted items … I see a few nice things here and there but really find it’s the same stuff wherever you go. And yes, going to meet friends for Gluehwein … perfect way to spend a day or evening. 🙂

• Reply Cherina | Quiet Wanderings December 17, 2011 at 4:22 AM

How wonderful to spend Christmas in Prague! I adore Prague in the wintertime – all those beautiful old buildings sprinkled with snow…so jealous!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 18, 2011 at 5:58 AM

@Cherina – thanks for your comment! This was last year and oh how I wish I was there for Christmas again this year. Wanna join me on a trip there? 😉

• Reply Christmas Markets: Wiener Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz. | cherylhoward.com December 21, 2011 at 2:56 PM

[…] So far I’ve taken you to markets in Prague including the ones held at Wenceslas Square and Old Town Square. Then there was the cute market in Bratislava’s Old Town and the one I went to a few weeks […]

• Reply Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava. | cherylhoward.com May 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

[…] Old Town may not be as pretty like the ones in Berlin’s Schloss Charlottenburg or Prague’s Old Town Square but it remains one of my all time […]

• Reply Anita Mac February 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Mmmm…memories of Christmas Markets in Prague – love it! I was there one year earlier – we definitely didn’t get any snow! Love the snow on the Trdlo – looks a little like icing sugar! Love it.

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

@Anita – Thanks! Prague is one of my favorite cities ever and the Christmas markets are to die for! 🙂

• Reply Hitch-Hikers Handbook April 29, 2014 at 6:13 AM

Prague is stunning in winter! We also visited it around Christmas/New year and loved it! Beautiful photos, Cheryl! We would like to invite you to participate in the next edition of our Travel Photography Competition. Every week we publish 3 winning shots on our website and write a nice bio with a link to the photographers’ websites/FB/Flickr pages.
    Find more details here: http://hitchhikershandbook.com/your-contributions/travel-photography/
    Happy travels!