Amsterdam, Europe, The Netherlands

December 11, 2011
Street Art in Amsterdam.

Street art in Amsterdam? Yes, it’s true. There’s much more to the capital city of The Netherlands than its iconic canals, red light district, modern architecture and “coffee shops“.

Just like when I traveled toย Szczecin, Poland and Cologne, Germany, I’ve ย spent a good part of my weekend in Amsterdam wandering the city looking for street art. And I’m happy to report that I was not disappointed …

Street Art in Amsterdam.

This is one of my favorites. Love the color and the detail!

Street Art in Amsterdam.

I ‘m also quite fond of this one as I was lucky enough to catch that man in the photo.

Street Art in Amsterdam.

Of course, what’s street art without a little humor?

Street Art in Amsterdam.

Can’t get enough of street art in Amsterdam? Well, that’s a good thing as I have more posts coming up! Yes, I’ve taken *that many* photos. Really, it’s everywhere!

While you’re waiting, check out Amsterdam Street Art foundation’s web site to learn more about how Nicole Blommer is working to bring street art alive in her city, bringing it on par with other places like London, Paris and Barcelona. Also, don’t miss my photo gallery.

• Reply James Cook December 11, 2011 at 9:58 am

I like the sixth from the top that little pink thing is cool!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm

@James – Ha ha … it is pretty cute. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Andrea December 11, 2011 at 3:16 pm

These are really nice! We didn’t see any of them – you always find the best street art =)

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm

@Andrea – thank you so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Even More Street Art in Amsterdam. | cherylhoward.com December 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm

[…] United States Street Art in Amsterdam. […]

• Reply Dean December 13, 2011 at 6:11 am

Wow that’s some pretty great street art. Not something that I would have thought of when thinking about Amsterdam.

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica December 13, 2011 at 11:47 am

I think this is the first time I’ve seen street art photos from Amsterdam. Very nice and looking forward to more!

• Reply Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad December 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Cool finds Cheryl! I hadn’t realized there was so much street art in Amsterdam; I think I’ll have to try find some myself when I go there next time.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 14, 2011 at 1:34 pm

@Dean – Me either, but it’s everywhere.

@Stephanie & @Jarmo – Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic December 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm

These are wild! That top one is kind of creepy….

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

@Christy – ha ha! It’s a pretty political statement …

• Reply Laurel December 14, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Very cool and great street art as well!

• Reply Jade Johnston - OurOyster.com December 15, 2011 at 9:16 am

AHHH I was thinking of doing a street art in Amsterdam post as well! Luckily the ones I was going to feature are all totally different than yours (and also it probably wont actually get done for months)

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm

@Laurel – I know right? Loved taking pics of all of it …

@Jade – Ha ha. Great minds think alike. ๐Ÿ™‚ Look forward to your post.

• Reply An Abundance Of Street Art in Amsterdam. | cherylhoward.com December 21, 2011 at 2:45 pm

[…] art there was to be found in Amsterdam. This marks my third blog post on the subject (you can view my first post about street art here and the other here). I had no idea that Amsterdam played host to such a vibrant and thriving street […]

• Reply CFYE December 24, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Hey how nice, our city! The artists from the 5th piece is Psychonautes, 6th is called ‘Ox-Alien’, the 7th is made by Bustart and Zaira, #8 by Bustart, Zaira and Psychonautes, #9 on the left is ‘earworm’:)

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm

@CFYE – I looovveee Amsterdam. Thanks again for identifying the artists too.

• Reply anopsy November 15, 2012 at 10:22 am

the name is ANOnymous PSYchonauts.. or anopsy ๐Ÿ™‚
        Psychonautes comes from France and he’s a street artist too

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 15, 2012 at 2:22 pm

@Anopsy – Thank you for the clarification! You’ve done some great work. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Alexa Meisler February 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Amazing street art! Very unique and somewhat heartfelt. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm

@Alexa – Isn’t it great? Amsterdam provides their artists with a perfect canvas, that’s for sure.