Bratislava, Europe, Slovakia

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

December 16, 2011
Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

The Christmas market in Bratislava’s Old Town may not be as pretty like the ones in Berlin’s Schloss Charlottenburg or Prague’s Old Town Square but it remains one of my all time favorites.

While some snobby travel types may scoff at the mere mention of Bratislava, I loved it there. I’m a little biased as I harbour a profound love for all things Eastern Europe, but I spent a few happy hours enjoying the market, the medieval architecture and people watching (there were more locals than tourists). I long to return not only to eat at the UFO Taste Restaurant but to explore more of this capital that’s been labelled as Europe’s comeback kid.

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

After I stopped taking pictures of all the surrounding buildings, I decided it was time get some food and drink. There were actually line-ups at most of the stalls, mostly locals who came to eat at the Christmas market during their lunch. I was secretly jealous of them, lunch options at home in Toronto were food courts comprised of fast food chains like McDonalds and KFC while these guys were drinking mulled wine and eating delicious sandwiches.

And look, candy apples! So adorable.

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

This guy was all smiles. Perhaps the giant Santa mural keeps him in good cheer all day.

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

I couldn’t resist buying a pork and onion filled sandwich from these guys wearing a Santa hat and reindeer antlers.

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

It may not look like much, but this was really (and I mean really) tasty.

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

Of course I then went for the mulled wine. This is the BEST cup of mulled wine I’ve ever had.

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

Christmas Markets: Old Town in Bratislava.

Christmas Markets: Old Town In Bratislava.

Some of the more unique items available for purchase.

Christmas Markets: Old Town in Bratislava.

Christmas Markets: Old Town in Bratislava.

So what is it about this Christmas market in Bratislava that I love so much? Aside from the several very tall, dark and handsome men I spied, the fact that it’s not so touristy resonates well with me. The roughness about it is also appealing – the cheesy paper, plastic cups, the lack of pretension and simplicity of it all stole my heart. I’ll be back to visit this comeback kid!

If you’re looking for something to do in Bratislava, I’d suggest saving your visit for Christmastime when you can take in this cute little Christmas market!

Comments

comments

• Reply Turkey's For Life December 17, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Love, love, love a good Christmas market and these photos have convinced me. We’re with you on that one, too – we love all things Eastern Europe. Sadly, we didn’t make it to Bratislava on our little route through the area but at least we’ve got somewhere (and a few other Eastern European cities) to visit next time. We don’t do travel snobbery – we’ll go anywhere! 😉
    Julia

• Reply James Cook December 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM

I have not seen any mulled wine down in Australia yet, I hope I can find some because it is so good 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 18, 2011 at 6:01 AM

@Turkey’s For Life – Glad that I was able to convince you. I adore Eastern Europe .. I’m intrigued by the dark history and love the roughness about some of the more remote destinations. Hope you make it to Bratislava soon. 🙂

@James – I think you can make it as well! Maybe give that a whirl? Agree, it’s realllyyyy good. 🙂

• Reply Andrea December 20, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Never been to Bratislava but this market looks fantastic!!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM

@Andrea – I definitely recommend going. 🙂

• Reply Tabitha December 26, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Pork & Onion Sandwhich is infact Pork Burger in Macvu..which is the best in Burgers…thanks for photo…

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 26, 2011 at 6:19 PM

@Tabitha – Not a prob. Glad you enjoyed.

• Reply Understated Beauty At The Franciscan Church in Bratislava. | cherylhoward.com May 5, 2012 at 10:39 PM

[…] at one of those Zermatt ski chalets. With what little time I had, I enjoyed their charming Christmas market and walked around the Old […]

• Reply Vienna Day Trip: Bratislava | Rear View Mirror October 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM

[…] one of the main meeting points for locals and tourists alike. It’s also the location of the small Bratislava Christmas market which is a great alternative to overcrowded Christmas markets in nearby Vienna and […]

• Reply Sophie December 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM

This is one of my fave Christmas markets, too; so down-to-earth.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 16, 2012 at 3:01 PM

@Sophie – Glad we’re on the same page. I hope to go back someday! 🙂

• Reply Cathy Sweeney December 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I’m totally addicted to European Christmas markets. Was hoping to get to Bratislava on my trip earlier this month, but will have to save it for next year (hopefully). The pork and onion sandwich does look irresistible!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

@Cathy – I’m missing the markets this year as I’m home in Toronto! I hope to be in Berlin next year for Christmas and new years and can’t wait to experience them again. So I completetly understand your addiction. Hope you make it to this market in Bratislava, it’s charming! And yes, that sandwich was oh so yummy.