Austria, Europe, Vienna

Christmas Markets: Wiener Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz.

December 19, 2011
Wiener Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz

So let’s continue with the cherylhoward.com European Christmas market tour. So far I’ve taken you to markets in Prague including the ones held at Wenceslas Square and Old Town Square. Then there was the cute market in Bratislava’s Old Town and the one I went to a few weeks ago in Berlin at Schloss Charlottenburg. Next up? The markets in the ever beautiful city of Vienna!

The Wiener Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz is the biggest and most well known of all Christmas markets in Vienna. As usual, I browsed the stalls, drank mulled wine, ate some sausage and pondered just when I’d be moving to Europe. And that happened a mere 5 months later.

Set beside the Burgtheater and Vienna City Hall it’s a perfect way to pass an afternoon or evening …

Wiener Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz

Here’s the stunning city hall.

Wiener Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz
Mandatory cup of Glühwein. Yes, I’m a raging alcoholic.

Wiener Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz

With drink, there must be food!

Wiener Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz
Really pretty Christmas decorations.

The Burgtheater.

Wiener Christkindlmarkt at Rathausplatz
While this Christmas market is quite touristy, the setting couldn’t be any pretty and romantic. It has me thinking about driving through Austria, a country I’d love to visit again someday.

If you’re interested in visiting Christmas markets in Vienna (which I highly recommend), check out this Comprehensive Guide to Vienna Christmas Markets.

• Reply Cathy Sweeney December 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I think I’m becoming addicted to European Christmas Markets. Would love to visit this one in Vienna. Looks awesome!

• Reply Jarmo @ ArcticNomad December 22, 2011 at 9:39 am

That’s a pretty impressive tour of Christmas markets! You must be in quite the holiday mood after all those 😉

• Reply Andrea December 22, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I love this one too! Gorgeous photos

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm

@Andrea – thank you.

@Jarno – there’s one last post to come, the Christmas market at the castle in Vienna. I toured all of these last year and for sure, put me into the Christmas spirit. 🙂

@Cathy – Vienna has some great markets. Hope you get there too!

• Reply Sherry December 22, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Lovely shots! I’ve never been to a Christmas market in Europe, but the more photos and stories I get, the more I see what I’ve been missing. I imagine it to be a place where the spirit is lifted. And by the way, great sephia look on your photos.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm

@Sherry – They are quite fun. Hope you can experience them someday. Thanks for noticing … used the “antique” effect in iPhoto. 🙂

• Reply Nomadic Samuel December 22, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I love the way you’ve edited your photos here 🙂 What amazing looking markets.

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica December 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm

There are a lot of syllables in those names!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm

@Samuel – thanks! The markets are fun indeed.

#Stephanie – there are so many German words I still struggle with! 🙂

• Reply Andrea December 24, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Fantastic photos. I hope to visit the Vienna Christmas markets next year.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 24, 2011 at 10:28 pm

@Andrea – thanks! The markets there are quite lovely.

• Reply Waiting for Christmas in Hong Kong | Arctic Nomad December 28, 2011 at 5:10 pm

[…] Cheryl’s blog (cherylhoward.com) and she has recently been busy posting about various Christmas markets in Europe. I’ve seen all those photos and kept thinking that damn I haven’t seen any […]