Amsterdam, Europe, The Netherlands, Weird & Offbeat

Weird And Offbeat Sites: De Poezenboot // The Cat Boat in Amsterdam.

January 5, 2012
De Poezenboot Aka The Cat Boat In Amsterdam

When you look at this photo, what do you see? Just another house boat along one of Amsterdam’s many canals? Well, this isn’t just any house boat … it’s a actually a floating sanctuary for stray cats.

De Poezenboot Aka The Cat Boat In Amsterdam

Look closer and you’ll see that this is De Poezeboot (the Cat Boat), a project started by Henriette van Weelde in 1966 when she took in a family of abandoned cats.

De Poezenboot Aka The Cat Boat In Amsterdam

Henriette had such a big heart that she continued to take in more cats until her home until she had no more room. Two years later she figured out solution when she bought a house boat, made it animal friendly and gave her cats a sexy new address on the canal.

Fondly nicknamed the “cat lady” by locals, people from all over Amsterdam started to bring Henriette their cats. She took in all of them, sick ones, strays, even those no longer wanted. So inspired by her love and compassion, people also wanted to visit the sanctuary and best of all, adopt the cats.  Even Puss in Boots of Shrek fame visited the boat last November!

The cat boat is open to the public from 1:00 – 3:00 PM daily, except for Wednesdays and Sundays. This gives time for people to check out the set-up, meet the cats and decide whether or not they want to make one of them a member of their family.

After learning about the good work being done here and really because I just wanted to hang out with cats, I went to see the cat boat for myself.

De Poezenboot Aka The Cat Boat In Amsterdam

As I was snapping photos, I saw an older woman enthusiastically talking up visitors and telling them about the cats. She then started excitingly wrapping presents and then handing them out to the cats. Yes, really! Almost toothless and sporting a wild mane of grey blue hair, could have this been Henriette herself?

I’m not sure exactly how the cats would manage to open the packages but it’s the thought that counts, right? See this guy with his Christmas gift.

De Poezenboot Aka The Cat Boat In Amsterdam

This next photo is my absolute favorite photo as I captured this cutie “mid-lick.” I also like the cat pictures displayed in the background.

De Poezenboot Aka The Cat Boat In Amsterdam

In 1987, the Cat Boat Foundation was formerly registered as a charity and now survives solely on donations. Thanks to the kindness of Henriette and her volunteer staff, hundreds of cats have found loving homes and haven’t suffered a tough life on the streets.  While admission to the boat is free, I strongly encourage you to throw some cash their way.

De Poezenboot Aka The Cat Boat In Amsterdam

In case you were wondering, the cats aren’t imprisoned on the boats. Some of them are let outside for fresh air under careful supervision of staff.

De Poezenboot Aka The Cat Boat In Amsterdam

Go to this sanctuary. Make a donation. Pet cute cats. Heck, even adopt one! De Poezenboot can be found at Singel 38.G, 1015 AB Amsterdam.

If you’re really into cats like me, read about my other post about another Amsterdam site for feline lovers which is a museum containing only cat themed art.  And if you want even more, read my post about the curious spectacle of cats in the Roman coliseum.

Comments

comments

• Reply Andrea January 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Awwww, they’re darling!! I wish I could adopt one.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

@Andrea – I felt the same. I wanted to take two kittens home with me. 🙂

• Reply Nomadic Samuel January 8, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Aw, I love cats! If I wasn’t travelling so much I’d have one again 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

@Nomadic Samuel – maybe when you do settle down, you can adopt one from the cat boat! 😉

• Reply 2011: A Year In Review For cherylhoward.com. | cherylhoward.com January 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

[…] United States Weird And Offbeat Sites: De Poezenboot // The Cat Boat in Amsterdam. […]

• Reply Sophie January 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Thanks for sharing this quirky – and adorable – attraction. I love cats. And I know my kids will want to see this when we’re in Amsterdam next.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

@Sophie – thanks for your kind comment. This is a great place to take your kids for sure! 🙂

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica January 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Weird but sweet and cute.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM

@Stephanie – getting to take pics of cats was actually fun!

• Reply Jade - OurOyster.com January 15, 2012 at 9:07 AM

AWWWW i want to take one home!

• Reply Laurel January 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Awww, I love reading stories like this. I have 2 cats, both from the Humane Society (one in Canada and one in Munich). It warms my heart knowing that people like this are making such a difference. I’m definitely checking this out when I’m in Amsterdam.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM

@Jade – I know how you feel. 🙂

@Laurel – Glad you enjoyed! Amazing that you have two rescues too.

• Reply jade January 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

What a bizarre but incredible unique animal rescue! great find!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

@Jade – I love what they’re doing to help cats! And it was a fun way to spend the afternoon. 🙂

• Reply It's A Dog Life's In Costa Brava. | cherylhoward.com March 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM

[…] It’s A Dog Life’s In Costa Brava. By Cheryl Howard On March 11, 2012 · 1 Comment · In Besalú, Cadaqués, Europe, Spain It’s not always about the tourist attractions when you travel, sometimes you need to slow down and notice the simple things like dogs in the Spanish countryside. I’m not really a dog person at all and like cats much better. I owned a cat when I lived in Canada and find myself drawn to them whenever I travel. I was surprised to discover that the mighty and historic Roman coliseum is filled with many feral cats and delighted to see homeless cats given shelter on a boat in Amsterdam. […]

• Reply 5 European hotspots I've never seen | Travels of Adam - Hipster travel around the world April 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM

[…] My friend Cheryl continuously raves about Amsterdam (as do most people). I skipped a visit to the city when I studied abroad in London years ago but now it’s a city I want to see more than most. For all its street art & quirky tourist sites (like this cat boat)! […]

• Reply Impressions Of Amsterdam. | cherylhoward.com July 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM

[…] avoided the top rated tourist sites and instead sought out weird and offbeat sites such as a cat sanctuary on a boat, the city’s vibrant street art scene and even the brand new Tattoo […]

• Reply Leigh December 6, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Amazing the positive repercussions with some time effort & money from just one person initially. Loved this story.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

@Leigh – I love this story too, she is an amazing woman!

• Reply Weird and Offbeat Sites: The Michael Jackson Memorial in Munich. | cherylhoward.com January 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM

[…] You know how I love to discover weird and offbeat things whenever I travel. Like when I was in Budapest this past November, I took part in an interactive science fiction performance that involved me running on to a life sized spaceship . The year before that while in Amsterdam, I spent a feline filled afternoon at a museum dedicated solely to cat art and a cat sanctuary on a boat. […]

• Reply Canals of Amsterdam: 8 Reasons to Celebrate Their 400th Birthday August 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

[…] if you can figure out them out) that I adopted from the animal shelter.  I really wanted to see De Poezenboot (The Cat Boat), after reading about it on my friend Cheryl’s blog, but sadly missed […]

• Reply Laura @Travelocafe October 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Now, you have just convinced me to go to Amsterdam again. I want to see this boat… and the lovely cats.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Laura – That’s great to hear! I had such a nice time at the cat boat. Love what they’re doing to keep cats off the streets.

• Reply Katie January 31, 2015 at 2:40 AM

I’ve finally found an apartment for my move to Amsterdam, and my new roommate has told me so much about this place as he’s going to adopt one of the cats after I arrive…! I have to admit I giggled a bit when he told me it’s called the pussy boat – but what a great cause started by just one person!

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 1, 2015 at 7:26 AM

Hey Katie – That’s great! I hope he gives the cat a happy forever home. 🙂

• Reply Koty na barce, czyli wyjątkowe schronisko w Amsterdamie – CatExperts September 14, 2016 at 8:45 AM

[…] Źródło zdjęcia […]