Europe, Italy, Positano

Postcards From Positano.

January 15, 2012
Postcards From Positano

If there’s really a heaven on earth, I’m thoroughly convinced that it’s the Amalfi Coast in Italy.

Positano which graces the coastline of the Tyrrhenian Sea is the crowning jewel of the Amalfi region. The colorful homes drape the hillsides as if they’re part of the natural landscape, the brilliant blue hues of the Mediterranean sea sparkle under the bright sun and the absurdity of the steep roads and staircases that snake their way through the village make for a seductively heady combination.

Postcards of Positano

Postcards of Positano

As I explored the nooks and crannies of Positano, I gasped in delight over and over again. Turn a corner. Climb a hill. Walk by the sea. It wouldn’t be long before I was greeted with yet another vantage point that offered views so stunning and dramatic that I rendered speechless, looking around with a wondrous and reverent gaze.

Postcards of Positano

Postcards of Positano

Postcards of Positano

It was completely surreal. I’d never seen anything like Positano or had felt an achingly overwhelming beauty overpower my senses. It almost seemed “too perfect“.

Postcards of Positano

Postcards of Positano

Postcards of Positano

It’s easy to understand why this place beckons you to return or perhaps never leave. As Steinbeck wrote, “Positano bites deep … It is a dream place that isn’t quite real when you are there and becomes beckoningly real after you have gone.”

And he’s right.

Comments

comments

• Reply fotoeins | Henry January 17, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Beautiful stuff, Cheryl – it’s almost like being there … but not quite. 😉 I’ve visited Cinque Terre a few years back, and that experience combined with your photos/description of Positano are making me consider adding a few days in Italy.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

@Henry – Thanks! You should …. If I had to choose between the two places, hands down the Amalfi Coast. Cinque Terre was nice but … just not the same.

• Reply Andrew Graeme Gould January 18, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Beautiful views in these lovely images. Sounds like a wonderful destination!
    All the best from Santiago de Chile…

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 19, 2012 at 11:48 am

@Andrew – Thanks, and all the best from Berlin!

• Reply Don Faust January 20, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Looks very nice! Why can’t I live on a nice sunny hillside like that, instead of the my current one, covered in snow?

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 22, 2012 at 1:49 am

@Don – living on a hill covered in snow sounds pretty nice too! Winter landscapes are so dreamy and romantic. 🙂

• Reply Andrea January 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I was so sad when we had to cut Italy out of our Europe trip last year – I’ve never been to the Amalfi Coast and that was one of the places we were going to explore…looks amazing!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 22, 2012 at 1:51 am

@Andrea – As I looked at my photos I found myself longing to return. Sigh! Hope you get there sometime soon. 🙂

• Reply Rosa January 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Positano is always interesting to look at even when the weather is not perfect. Your photos prove it!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 22, 2012 at 9:24 pm

@Rosa – thanks! It’s truly a glorious place isn’t it?

• Reply Jarmo @ ArcticNomad January 23, 2012 at 12:47 am

Stunning photos Cheryl! Definitely makes me want to visit Positano 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm

@Laurel and @Jarmo – Thanks so much! And Jarmo, definitely get there if you ever have the chance.

• Reply Laurel January 22, 2012 at 11:43 pm

It does look “too perfect”, wow. Great photos.

• Reply Eurotrip Tips January 23, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Very pretty indeed! Strangely, I never had a big taste for Italy before, but it’s posts like these that really make me want to go. Magic Amalfi coast 🙂

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica January 23, 2012 at 3:25 pm

You’ve convinced me! Gorgeous photos!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm

@Eurotrip Tips and @Stephanie – Gooo there as soon as possible. 😀

• Reply Carol January 23, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thanks Cheryl
    Have been there twice & planning on a Villa to go back & spend all the time there……..great photos & makes me want to start packing as I write.
    Carol

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

@Carol – that’s so cool! I love when you love a place so much that it beckons you back. =)

• Reply Dean January 24, 2012 at 2:55 am

I loved the Amalfi Coast and wish I could have spent longer there. Only got to spend a day in Positano but it was lovely. Great pics, I want to go back there now!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 24, 2012 at 9:50 am

@Dean – Glad you enjoyed Positano too. I have some more photos on Amalfi and Ravello coming up as well. =)

• Reply James - Ouroyster.com February 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I love the vivid blues in the ocean. Great photos!

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm

@James – Thanks James! Very kind of you to say.

• Reply Cherina March 1, 2012 at 3:42 am

Gorgeous photos! I wouldn’t take much convincing to go to the Amalfi Coast.

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 1, 2012 at 10:13 am

@Cherina – Thanks! It’s really pretty there. 🙂

• Reply Jeff Titelius August 16, 2012 at 2:06 am

Unbelievably enchanting and sublime from every vantage point!! I really need to get here soon!!!

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 16, 2012 at 4:13 pm

@Jeff – You should go there soon! It’s a tad tourist filled but beautiful. 🙂

• Reply Carmen Edelson September 5, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I loved Positano. You're pictures reminded me a lot of our last trip. I just wished we had more time there.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 6, 2014 at 4:41 pm

It’s such a lovely place, isn’t it? I hope you make it back again someday. 🙂