Europe, Krakow, Poland, Weird & Offbeat

Weird and Offbeat Site: Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

February 8, 2012
Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

I was never much of a fan of flea markets before moving to Berlin. Then I visited the flea market in Mauer Park this summer and fell in love. Whether it was fashionable girls strutting their stuff in order to get featured in a street style photograph, an old man selling over priced antique, vintage treasures (aka junk) or an upcoming artist selling their photos or new clothing designs, I was taken in by the whole thing. The weekly karaoke routine make Sunday trips there even more fun!

Then came September when I stumbled across a rather quirky flea market in Barcelona where everything from toilets, to bras, weird looking dolls and used books were available for purchase. This hilarious experience got me to thinking, why not visit some local markets when I’m in Krakow for the weekend?

So that’s why I headed to the Plac Nowy Jewish Market in the Krakow’s Kazimierz district. Filled with 310 stalls, the market oozes history having been around since 1808.

And it was more fun than I first imagined. Just like the market in Barcelona, you could buy bras, underwear and even cleaning products but best of all you could take your pick from loads of furry coats and boots. Trust me, they need them as it gets pretty cold in those parts!

A couple of insider’s tips about the market at Plac Nowy – it’s said to be the only place in the city where you can purchase horse meat and it’s also said to have the best street food stall in all of Krakow at Bar Endzior. Apparently the queue gets quite long here sometimes as people load up on zapiekanka before a night out drinking vodka. You’ll find the stall in the rotunda (a former slaughter house) located in the center of the market.

The best part for me was taking in the fashion of locals who sported some of the best winter gear I’ve seen to date.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow. Seriously Digging Her Fur Coat And Sparkling Hat.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow. Chewbacca Styled Hats For Every Occasion

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow. Household Products Can Be Purchased Here

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow. Meow! Furry Yet Fashionable.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow. This Woman’s Full Length Fur Coat and Boots Were My Favorite.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow. Who Needs Victoria Secret?

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow. A Little Bling With The Sparkling Purple Poncho.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

Plac Nowy Jewish Market in Krakow.

While not as picture perfect as Sukiennice (Cloth Hall) in the city’s main square, the derelict buildings that surround the site and the aged green stalls that fill the market charmed and delighted me all the more. It has character, wasn’t filled with many tourists (aside from myself of course) and is a historical Krakow institution.

• Reply Shannon M February 8, 2012 at 10:08 pm

If its a flea market does that mean its used clothing? Or do they sell used or new clothing? I can’t think of why one would want to buy used bras

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm

@Shannon – Yes, it’s a flea market but most markets sell both new and old clothing.

• Reply Shannon M February 8, 2012 at 10:36 pm

so how do you know what’s new/used?

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 9, 2012 at 7:56 am

@Shannon – I guess that’s part of the adventure trying to figure that out. :)

• Reply Mauro February 9, 2012 at 1:25 am

Oooh… zapiekanka… <33

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 9, 2012 at 7:57 am

@Mauro – I’ve yet to try it but I want to! Just learned about the place during my research afterwards. I want to go back just to taste it. :)

• Reply Mauro February 9, 2012 at 9:36 am

and I suppose you did not get the chance to go to Wieliczka either (yep, I was the one wriiting you about it on twitter)

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 9, 2012 at 10:06 am

@Mauro – The salt mines right? I did go there!

• Mauro February 9, 2012 at 10:57 am

wonderful! Can’t wait to read about them! If you did like them, of course!

• Cheryl Howard February 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm

@Mauro – I liked my visit to the salt mines … The only thing I didn’t like was some of the cheesy music they played at some of the spots in the tour. :)

• Reply Andrea February 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Looks like one can find some pretty fashionable things at this market – love it!

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 10, 2012 at 9:32 am

@Andrea – Amazing, right? I want a pair of those fuzzy boots!

• Reply Adam February 11, 2012 at 10:39 am

Excuse me, did you say horsemeat?!?

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 11, 2012 at 10:47 am

@Adam – Yep! The only place in town that sells it apparently. Have you tried it? I did last year in Milano.

• Reply Mauro February 11, 2012 at 11:03 am

Well, it’s not exceedingly common in every butchery in Italy, but it is easy to find in most cities.

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm

@Mauro – I had a lovely pasta with horse meat at a canal side resto in Milano!

• Reply Laurel February 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm

How quirky, but interesting. There’s a flea market near my house every Saturday but I’ve never gone, maybe it’s worth a look.

• Reply Nomadic Samuel February 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm

This place seems to have a lot of character! I love these kinds of markets.

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 13, 2012 at 5:27 pm

@Laurel – It was such a fun time! I loved this market and you should definitely check out the one in Munich. :)

@Samuel – Me too.

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica February 17, 2012 at 1:32 pm

So I guess PETA hasn’t infiltrated Krakow yet :-)

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 18, 2012 at 11:09 pm

@Stephanie – Not yet! 😉

• Reply EurotripTips February 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

I love flea markets, even though I rarely buy anything. It’s so much fun to see what junk people have in different countries! First time I noticed a flea market with cleaning products to sell, though!

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm

@EurotripTips – I love flea markets too! I thought the underwear and bras were kinda weird. :)