Cadaqués, Europe, Spain

Bucket List Item Checked. Watching The Sunrise Over The Mediterranean.

February 21, 2012
Sunrise Near Cadaqués.

I hadn’t liked Spain that much after getting robbed in Barcelona, but a recent trip there changed everything for me. I’m now passionately in love with this country and having not even left yet, I’m already planning my return.

My first reason for falling in love with Spain? The landscape of Costa Brava.

There’s not many things that can motivate me enough to wake up at the ungodly hour of 5:30 AM, but having the chance to fulfill a lifelong dream to watch the sunrise over the Mediterranean is certainly one of them.

So this past Sunday morning sans make-up (rare) and a bit hungover (not so rare), I made the journey from Cadaqués along with Richard from Charming Villas to where the Pyrenees mountains disappear dramatically into the sea at Cap de Creus, a nature reserve and the most Eastern part of Spain.

When we left it was cold, dark and windy. The lonely drive along the long winding mountain road was eerie and the only sign of life was the lighthouse beaconing in the distance. And weirdly these mysterious men dressed in military fatigues who headed down into the coves towards the water carrying loads of equipment. Being a longtime fan of the X Files, you can only begin to imagine the alien invasion theories that I began to conjure up in my head!

Richard and I waited shivering for sunrise to arrive. Then ever so slowly, the first early rays of morning light appeared on the horizon and nature revealed herself in all her miraculous glory …

Sunrise Near Cadaqués.

Sunrise Near Cadaqués.

Sunrise Near Cadaqués.

Sunrise Near Cadaqués.

Sunrise Near Cadaqués.

The combination of the sun, moon, sea, mountains, brilliant bursts of color and the feeling like you’re standing at the edge of the earth makes this the most perfect place to watch your very first sunrise. As you stare at the natural wonder, you soon begin to understand why this landscape proved so inspiring to Salvador Dali who made his home in nearby Cadaqués.

So if you need a reason to head to Spain (as if you don’t have a long list of them already), then this should be one of them as Cap de Creus is said to be one of the very best beaches in Costa Brava.

Get more information on the park and surrounding area by visiting CapCreus online. And if you’re looking for a villa to stay in while visiting Costa Brava, of course check out Charming Villas.

Facebook Comments

• Reply Sara Marti February 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Thank you so much Cheryl for sharing your experience. What a great post, and the pictures are amazing!

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 21, 2012 at 5:41 pm

@Sarah – Thanks! Lots more to come. 😉

• Reply EurotripTips February 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Wow, I wish I’d been there! Kudos for getting the courage to get up so early, I wasn’t so courageous myself, haha. Great photos! 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm

@Eurotrip Tips – Thanks! Wish you guys had come along too. 🙂

• Reply Erin February 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Now I wish I had joined you guys! The pictures look beautiful. I suppose my little jog followed by watching the sunrise from Dalí’s front doorstep wasn’t a bad alternative, but I think your vantage point was for sure more impressive!

• Reply Andrea February 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Amazing shots! It was totally worth getting up early for! Next time I will be more dedicated. 😉

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 21, 2012 at 6:29 pm

@Erin – It would have been cool if you had joined us but I saw your picture and it looked pretty beautiful! 🙂

@Andrea – Thanks. Next time (on our reunion tour), I’ll get everyone out of bed. Ha ha.

• Reply Michela @RockyTravelBlog February 22, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I have been to Cap de Creus a few years ago, while visiting my friends who live in Cadaques. The area is precious and yes you are right when you say the landscape was a great source of inspiration to Salvator Dali…;-) Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos!

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm

@Michela – Thanks for your comments. The area is very precious, I can’t wait to return! 🙂

• Reply Richard in Spain February 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Great photos, awesome colours in the first picture. I love the Costa Brava and have been many times but haven’t been to Cap de Creus yet – definately going to fix that now !

• Reply Cheryl February 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm

@Richard – Thanks! I have Aperature to thank for some of the photo editing effects. And you definitely need to hit up Cap de Creus … have a coffee or drink at the bar/resto above the lighthouse. Life doesn’t get much better than that! 🙂

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic February 24, 2012 at 5:37 am

I love seeing the progression of the sunrise in your photos – it’s so lovely how the colors change! I haven’t seen too many sunrises (not a morning person, lol), but the ones I have seen have been way better (visually) than sunsets.

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 24, 2012 at 9:22 am

@Christine – Thanks! I think this was a good first sunrise experience for me … Def want to experience more. But I’m usually too lazy too. Ha ha.

• Reply Alexa Meisler February 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Those photos are amazing. The sunrise is definitely something to wake up early for especially when you get to see it from a beautiful looking beach like that. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 24, 2012 at 10:24 pm

@Alexa – Thanks so much! This certainly goes down as one of my top travel experiences. 🙂

• Reply Don Faust February 24, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I wish I were there about now.

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 24, 2012 at 11:41 pm

@Don – Me too!

• Reply Pete February 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Beautiful photos Cheryl. I second what Don said. I want to be there right now 🙂

• Reply Andrea February 25, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Beautiful!! I’m rarely up for the sunrise but my favourite of late has been in Patagonia.

• Reply Ayngelina February 25, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Oh why can’t I be there right now instead of Toronto? The photos are gorgeous.

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 25, 2012 at 11:30 pm

@Pete – Let’s have a giant travel blogging meet-up there!! 🙂

@Andrea – Ahhh, I haven’t been to Patagonia yet but I sooooo want to get there someday.

@Ayngelina – Come back to Europe! 🙂

• Reply Jade - OurOyster.com February 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Beautiful photos! Spain is one of the place I would like to live for a while in the future. 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 27, 2012 at 6:31 pm

@Jade – Thanks. And OMG! Me too … I have dreams of living in a sea side villa in Cadeques. I’d own a convertible and drive along the coast with the wind in my hair. 🙂

• Reply Nomadic Samuel February 28, 2012 at 7:19 am

Wonderful shots Cheryl! 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 28, 2012 at 7:40 am

@Samuel – Thanks so much.

• Reply Andrew March 8, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I’m far more a sunset person, sunrise happens often way too early for me to be awake to enjoy it. Great pictures though.

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm

@Andrew – Many thanks! I’m never usually up this early but I am soooo very glad I made the effort. 🙂

• Reply It's A Dog Life's In Costa Brava. | cherylhoward.com March 11, 2012 at 2:35 pm

[…] at Mas Perafita, a winery in Cap de Creus (where I later witnessed a beautiful sunrise) our group was greeted by four excited and happy dogs. All but one ran to meet us at our vehicles. […]

• Reply Kristen April 2, 2012 at 8:03 am

Beautiful! The best sunset I’ve ever seen was in Thailand. It was as if I was in a magnificent painting for about 20 minutes. It was absolutely breathtaking. Have you ever been to Thailand?

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

@Kristen – Thanks so much! I have not been to Thailand .. yet! Hope to make it there someday soon.

• Reply A Magical Moment In Budapest. | cherylhoward.com April 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm

[…] those unforgettable “magical moments” that leave you awestruck and happy. Whether it be waking up really early to watch the sunrise in Costa Brava or walking through castle grounds in Prague on a snowy winter day, I absolutely live for these […]

• Reply » Interview With Cheryl Howard of CherylHoward.Com » Travel and Tourism Guide September 26, 2012 at 11:39 pm

[…] Watching the Sunrise Over the Mediterranean […]

• Reply How To "Romance Yourself" Around Europe. | cherylhoward.com February 17, 2013 at 12:31 pm

[…] Costa Brava, I convinced Richard from Charming Villas to take me out to Cap de Creus to watch the sunrise over the Mediterranean even though it was an ungodly hour and I was terribly hung […]