Europe, Poland, Sopot, Weird & Offbeat

The Unvertical aka the Drunken House in Sopot.

April 12, 2012
The Unvertical House in Sopot, Poland.

Hmm … was something wrong with my iPhone 4s’ camera lens? Nope! Not at all. What you see below is real, very real.

In my ongoing quest to find all things weird and offbeat, this Drunken House in Sopot, Poland was a must-see when I spent a day exploring the city.

The Drunken House in Sopot

This rather boldly constructed building designed by Szotyńscy & Zaleski is located in Sopot, Poland on the country’s Baltic coast. The designers took inspiration for their unique creation from the fairy tale drawings of Jan Marcin Szancer and Per Dahlberg.

The Unvertical House in Sopot, Poland.

Erected in 2004, the Unvertical House or Krzywy Domek in Polish (also known as the Drunken House or Crooked House) is actually a shopping center with stores and restaurants inside.

Good to Know

1. Although many publications (both online and in print) will inform you that the Unvertical House was actually inspired by the architecture of Antoni Gaudi, this is not correct. You can get the full low down on the building’s history by checking out the Krzywy Domek’ web site.
  2. Fore more inspiration about what to do in the area, check out how I spent my weekend in Gdansk and how I spent a day at the Baltic Sea in Sopot.

Location

Comments

comments

• Reply Dean April 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM

This building is…trippy. Very interesting architecture. What was in the interior like?

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM

@Dean – Agree! I didn’t go inside as it was Easter Sunday and things were closed. Would be interesting to see.

• Reply Ayngelina April 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM

This place is fantastic, I don’t think I have ever read anything about it. Definitely a good find Cheryl.

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

@Ayngelina – Thanks! You know me I like hiding weird things. 🙂

• Reply Andrea April 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM

It wasn’t built by Gaudi, though? Or was it?

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 14, 2012 at 7:17 AM

@Andrea – No just “inspired”.

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic April 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Ha, this is amazing! Makes me feel like I’m on a trip just looking at it. =P

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 14, 2012 at 7:16 AM

@Christy – Cool right? Such a strange house!

• Reply Alexa Meisler April 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM

NICE! This is pretty awesome. And Antoni Gaudi is a god-send. I need to go to Poland now.

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 14, 2012 at 7:20 AM

@Alexa – It’s an interesting place and well Sopot is beautiful …

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica April 14, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Never heard of this before. Very cool!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 14, 2012 at 8:34 AM

@Stephanie – Agree, very cool. Haven’t been able to find much about the building itself and I’ve spent at least 30 minutes on Google trying to get more info.

• Reply Nina April 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Just looking at this photo makes you feel drunk, haha.
    Allthough, feels more like a Dalí painting than a Gaudi building to me.

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM

@Nina – It does make you feel a bit dizzy. Yeah, Gaudi work is usually somehow more prettier.

• Reply Wanderplex April 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Oh very cool! I’m a huge fan of Gaudi and when I saw your picture, his name was the first thing that came to mind. I didn’t realize he had built/designed stuff outside Barcelona, so thanks for sharing!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM

@Wanderplex – the building is indeed very cool. Gaudi didn’t actually build it, someone else did so that’s why it’s considered Gaudi “inspired”. 🙂

• Reply Jenna May 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM

What a cool-looking place. It’s great that you added the link to the information about the architecture–it really doesn’t look much like Gaudi’s architecture when you take a closer look at it. So cool you got to travel so much in Poland…I would love to see more of Poland someday…

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 3, 2012 at 1:08 AM

@Jenna – The printed guide book I received from my hotel had it billed as a Gaudi building! It took quite a lot of research to dig up the real facts. Embarrassed to have provided the wrong impression … but alas, at least now the appropriate people are credited for their bizarre work. 🙂

And I hope you make it back to Poland to see more of the country. I’d love to hit up Sopot again in the summer or fall! The Baltic coastline is INCREDIBLE!

• Reply A Day At The Baltic Sea In Sopot, Poland. | cherylhoward.com May 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM

[…] Sopot for the day. A city known for having the longest wooden pier in Europe at 515 meters and an Unvertical House that looks like it was put together by a drunken sailer, who wouldn’t want want to pay a […]

• Reply Nancie June 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Definitely a conversation piece!

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM

@Nancie – It’s quite the building that’s for sure! I’m not the biggest fan of the design from an aesthetic perspective but I’m always up for finding weird things like this.

• Reply Stranded in Konin. | cherylhoward.com June 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM

[…] You may or may not have already read about my Easter weekend in Gdansk, where I checked out street art and visited the nearby Sopot for my first glimpse of the Baltic Sea and the crazy cool Unvertical House. […]

• Reply inka October 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM

I’m just back from a 5 day trip to Lower Silesia and have decided to visit Poland again. Baltic Sea and Sopot are definitely next. Thanks for the inspiration.