Assisi, Europe, Italy

Flag Throwing Men In Tights? Welcome To Umbria!

April 28, 2012
TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event
(Last Updated On: March 29, 2016)

When I booked my ticket to the Travel Bloggers Unite conference, I expected nothing more than a “typical” conference.

You know … speed networking events, inspirational key note speakers, thought provoking panel discussions and gift bags filled with mints, notebooks and pens. Actually, the conference was all of this but it was also so much more.

Set at the Valle  Di Assisi Hotel and Resort, the conference kicked off with a Welcome to Umbria event that began with a procession of costumed flag throwers, drummers and trumpeters who put on amazing medieval styled show against the backdrop of a stunning Umbrian landscape and sunset.

Initially, I had no idea what the festivities held in store but when I stumbled across the performance group Compagnia Sbandieratori e Musici di Città della Pieve practicing, I knew I was on to something good.

TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event.

After leaving where the company’s practice area, I walked around the resort grounds waiting for their show to begin. The rather romantic setting seemed almost too beautiful to be real …

TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event.

The procession than began with the company marching towards the area where everyone was gathered waiting.

TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event.

Then the performance began. It was like that scene from Under The Tuscan Sun coming to life where the young Polish man takes up at the art of flag throwing to prove his love to his Italian girlfriend. Swoon!

TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event

TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event

TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event

TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event

No sooner than it started, it was over and the group was walking away.

TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event

TBU's Welcome To Umbria Event

The performance was both musically and visually stunning. There was simply no better way to start off TBU than this.

• Reply Ellen April 28, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Great photos! And wasn’t the following dinner incredible?

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 28, 2012 at 2:48 pm

@Ellen – Thanks so much! The dinner was good as well.

• Reply Mel April 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Great photos Cheryl! I’m looking forward to going back to Umbria in September!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 28, 2012 at 4:02 pm

@Mel – Thanks, I’m pretty sure it’s one of my favorite regions of Italy. Two visits have me sure of that! Soo cool that you will be returning!

• Reply Andrea April 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm

What fun! And I couldn’t help staring at that sky – so beautiful

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 29, 2012 at 10:06 pm

@Andrea – That sunset was like a gift from God. It was one of those perfect travel moments. 🙂

• Reply Nomadic Samuel April 30, 2012 at 6:33 am

Great photos! Made me feel like I was right there 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 30, 2012 at 11:22 am

@Samuel – It would have been cool if you made it to TBU. 🙂

• Reply Jeremy Branham April 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I just spent the weekend watching men throw heavy objects in kilts! Who says men who wear skirts and tights aren’t manly? 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 30, 2012 at 9:01 pm

@Jeremy – Men in skirts and tights are very sexy. 😉

• Reply Alexa Meisler May 1, 2012 at 1:08 am

Amazing shots! I love flag throwing wish I could see it for real one day!

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 1, 2012 at 10:42 am

@Alexa – Thanks. Head to Umbria to see them. 😉

• Reply Ayngelina May 1, 2012 at 10:47 am

Oh please say you ate a bunch of burrata for me?

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 2, 2012 at 7:27 am

@Ayngelina – I stayed away from cheese as much as possible as I’m lactose intolerant. Seems I’m missing out! 🙁

• Reply Laurel May 10, 2012 at 10:59 am

Great photos and such a wonderful welcome. I especially loved the flag throwing.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 10, 2012 at 11:57 am

@Laurel – Thanks so much! And me too. It made my movie dreams come true. 🙂

• Reply laura June 7, 2012 at 11:36 pm

There are some really nice shots here, I went traveling 15 years ago when i graduated but since I did that I have not so much as been on holiday, I need to get back into it, I have managed to save some cash so definitely think its time for me to think about getting away again! Thanks for relighting the fire and awakening the long sleeping travel bug.

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 8, 2012 at 11:51 am

@Laura – Glad to be of some help! Best of luck on your travels. 🙂

• Reply Instagram Postcards Of Berlin – Apr and May 2012 Edition. | cherylhoward.com August 26, 2012 at 10:50 pm

[…] Budapest where I experienced a magical moment watching dusk settle over the city and Umbria where I watched men in tights throw flags and even took a donkey ride through the mountains. While being on the road was great fun, it was […]

• Reply How To "Romance Yourself" Around Europe. | cherylhoward.com February 17, 2013 at 5:57 pm

[…] watched these amazing young men and women perform in Umbria last year at a resort just outside of […]