Budapest, Europe, Hungary

A Magical Moment In Budapest.

April 30, 2012
Budapest By Night.

For me, travel is all about having those unforgettable “magical moments” that leave you awestruck and happy. Whether it be waking up really early to watch the sunrise in Costa Brava or walking through castle grounds in Prague on a snowy winter day, I absolutely live for these types of moments. They’re what inspires me to keep on travelling!

While in Budapest this month, I had an opportunity to stay at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace in a room with a Danube view. Arriving earlier in the day, I already knew that from my balcony I could take in a panoramic view that included notable landmarks like the Chain Bridge, Buda Castle and Matthias Church but I had no idea what to expect when the sun set and darkness slowly settled over the city later that evening.

I was fortunate enough to be treated with this …

Budapest By Night.

Budapest By Night.

Budapest By Night.

Budapest By Night.

Budapest By Night.

You can easily see why I love Budapest so very much! I can’t wait to return in June. And how about you? Have you ever had a magical moment like this?

* Disclosure – My stay at the Four Seasons was complimentary. Any opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Comments

comments

• Reply Lei April 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Looks like one heck of an amazing hotel room view and great photos. Lucky you.
    I’ve had some pretty amazing ones looking out my tent (yes even my tent) onto a beach on BC’s wild west coast; and from a lodge room in Botswana I was able to stare at an elephant six feet away; and even a so so room in Paris where I could stare down an alley and watch the local life.

• Reply ashley // chasing heartbeats April 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm

GORGEOUS! I am dying to visit Budapest, and those moments are exactly why I travel too.

• Reply Mark J. Stewart April 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I was in Miyajima across the water from Hiroshima, Japan. It’s the island with the orange (torii) gate in the water. Anyways, I wondered off from the main pack and went up a gently sloping hill. When I finally got to the end of the complex I discovered a nice little Buddist temple. It wasn’t big by any means, but I’m pretty sure I was the only one of my group (and possibly the only person I’ll ever know) to have seen it. That was special!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm

@Lei – Thanks! It is a moment I’ll never forget. All of your memorable views sounds fab! I can certainly appreciate a good view, esp from a tent when you’re so close to nature. 🙂

@Ashley – Isn’t it a beautiful city? So romantic … and one I’ll keep returning to. I hope you get to Budapest someday soon and if you ever need tips, please let me know. 😉

@Mark – That must have been a remarkable experience. Lucky you! I always love hearing about other people having joyous experiences when they’re on the road.

• Reply Jeremy Branham April 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I love Budapest. It’s a very underrated city and I don’t think it’s on the map for many people yet. It should be. The city, the Chain bridge, the baths – so much to see and do there. I think Hungary has one of the most unique histories and cultures of any country in Europe. Definitely worth a visit – I can’t wait to go back!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 30, 2012 at 8:59 pm

@Jeremy – I think you are very right about Budapest. That place stole my heart from the start … and it keeps calling me back. It’s so pretty, so gritty all at once and for sure the history is rather intense.

You should read this amazing book I have about the cultural history of the city, all about German, Turkish, Russian influences. It’s incredibly fascinating! If you want details, drop me a line. 🙂

• Reply Jeremy Branham May 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Sure, send it my way. I love reading books about places that include the history and culture as well.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 2, 2012 at 8:47 pm

@Jeremy – It’s called “Europe in Budapest – A Guide To It’s Many Cultures”. Bills itself as an alternative tourist guide inviting people to learn how various cultures (Germans, Jewish, Roma etc) have defined the making of the city. Different perspective than you’d gain from the typical Lonely Planet or Eyewitness guide.

• Reply Andrea May 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Love these photos! I think Budapest is a city that’s at its most beautiful at night

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 2, 2012 at 7:28 am

@Andrea – It’s amazing isn’t it? Wish I was there right now. 😉

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad May 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Wow- one of the most stunning photo sets of Budapest I have ever seen! Love the different colors.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 2, 2012 at 8:43 pm

@A Montrealer Abroad – Thanks, I feel lucky to have had such an experience.

Last September, I came out of Buda Castle around the same time of evening and had a view of Pest … but what did you know, my camera battery was dead. I cried sad and happy tears at the same time! Glad to have had a fully charged camera this time around. 🙂

• Reply Alexa Meisler May 2, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Wow. I am indeed in awe. Definitely a magical moment. Great shots!

• Reply Don Faust May 2, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Amazing view. I would really like to go to Budapest.

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic May 2, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Daaaaang, a view of the Danube?? And these photos are phenomenal, Cheryl! Like, seriously great.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 3, 2012 at 1:05 am

@Don – I hope you make it there someday.

@Christy – Aww, you’re so kind. Thanks! *blushing*

• Reply Dean May 4, 2012 at 8:18 am

Wow that is an amazing view! You were very lucky to experience such a beautiful sight.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 4, 2012 at 8:24 pm

@Dean – Thanks … I do feel quite fortunate to have experienced this moment! I seriously can’t wait to return.

• Reply Eric @ Trans-Americas Journey May 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Beautiful photos. I haven’t been to Budapest since pre Eastern-bloc days, I so want to go back and see it now.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 5, 2012 at 6:49 pm

@Eric Thanks so much! It’s a terrific city. 🙂

• Reply Adam May 6, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Okay – I’m definitely excited to see Budapest now! But I’m not going until AUGUST!

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 6, 2012 at 3:33 pm

@Adam – Budapest is aaammmmazzzziiinnggg! You’ll love the hipster vibe. Wait till you check out the ruin bars and the baths. I’m sure we’ll never see you in Berlin again.

• Reply Laurel May 10, 2012 at 11:45 am

That’s one heck of a view! I can see why you keep returning to Budapest.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 10, 2012 at 11:58 am

@Laurel – Doesn’t get much better than this. Really can’t wait to return. Will be there in just over a month!

• Reply A Weekend Guide to Budapest - Volume 1. | cherylhoward.com July 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

[…] Budapest more than I have any other city since moving to Europe. How could I not love it after experiencing moments like this? I’ve now been there four times and still feel like that hasn’t been enough. I always […]

• Reply Capture The Color - cherylhoward.com Edition. | cherylhoward.com August 9, 2012 at 1:53 pm

[…] rather lovely Four Seasons Gresham Palace. My room with a view of the Danube offered up this rather magical moment. As dusk settled over the Hungarian capital, the stunning blue sky and dramatic clouds had the ever […]

• Reply Instagram Postcards Of Berlin – Apr and May 2012 Edition. | cherylhoward.com August 26, 2012 at 8:56 pm

[…] Berlin and travelled to Gdansk where I glimpsed the Baltic Sea for the first time, Budapest where I experienced a magical moment watching dusk settle over the city and Umbria where I watched men in tights throw flags and even took a donkey ride through the […]

• Reply Weird and Offbeat Sites: The Area 51 Project In Budapest. | cherylhoward.com November 19, 2012 at 6:04 pm

[…] not convinced as to whether or not it’s a worthwhile city to visit, take a look at how Budapest looks as dusk settles over the Danube. Warning, this post will make you want to head to Budapest […]

• Reply Photos: The Chain Bridge in Budapest at Night. | cherylhoward.com January 21, 2013 at 2:31 pm

[…] sense of content as I took in the familiar landscape of Buda Castle, the Parliament Building, the Four Seasons, the Danube … quite simply stated, I felt at […]

• Reply How To "Romance Yourself" Around Europe. | cherylhoward.com February 17, 2013 at 12:11 pm

[…] the sunset over the Danube, I fell even more in love with my favorite city on earth. If a glimpse of Buda is not enough, I […]

• Reply mike March 10, 2013 at 10:15 pm

These night pictures look amazing! We are headed for our first tip to Budapest next month! Cant wait!

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 11, 2013 at 12:30 pm