Europe, Poland, Sopot

A Day At The Baltic Sea In Sopot, Poland.

May 24, 2012
Sopot and The Baltic Sea

It was Easter Sunday. Sunny, cold and windy. Shops, restaurants and tourist attractions were closed. I was sick with a bad cold, a plague that just wouldn’t leave me. And I was completely alone in Gdansk, Poland.

While part of me wanted to stay in bed all day and re-watch Season 1 of the Game of Thrones (and the urge was quite strong), I was very determined to enjoy my getaway weekend to Gdansk to the fullest and not let my circumstances bring me down.

So I headed off to nearby Sopot for the day. A city known for having the longest wooden pier in Europe at 515 meters and an Unvertical House that looks like it was put together by a drunken sailer, who wouldn’t want to pay a visit?

Although looking at these pictures may make you cold (grab a blanket and wrap it tight to keep warm), you’ll soon understand why it’s so easy to love Sopot.

You begin at the boardwalk which is full of unusual looking trees and pretty buildings filled with shops and food stands.

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

I wondered what this charming little scene would like in summer. I was later informed that everyone comes here to hang out  – locals and tourists – and at night the trees are lit up with hundreds of tiny white lights. It must be so pretty!

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

I walked through the trees and caught my very first glimpse of the Polish Baltic Sea.

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

To others walking by, I may have seemed like a crazy woman but I shouted in complete and utter delight. It was surreal to be taking in all that beauty and clean sea air.

I hadn’t expected much from Sopot but in this moment, I fell in love (again) … perhaps my fair Budapest has found itself a rival for my affection?

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

The famous pier stood off into the distance.

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

Then there I was, walking on Europe’s longest wooden pier on a spring day that should have been warm but instead was absolutely freezing! Despite the cold temperatures, I couldn’t help but be amazed, inspired, awed.

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

Not sure why, but it seems I had a fascination for benches on this day!

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

Oh, be sure not to dive off the pier.

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

These men braved the cold to sit outside and entertain crowds with their music. RESPECT!

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

Finally, I made my way back to shore.

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

I’d earlier observed people feeding seagulls and thought “Oh, how nice!” and then came across this …

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

Swans! Yes, there were random swans at the Baltic Sea just chilling like they belonged there. You can only imagine how insane people thought I was when I once again squealed aloud in delight.

Sopot and The Baltic Sea

Sopot is also renowned for being a spa and wellness town. To top off my already perfect my day there, I concluded my walk and headed over to the  Sheraton Sopot Hotel to enjoy their water therapies and a Swedish massage.

While nothing like Club Med all inclusive holidays, this was surely the best spa experience I’ve had to date. And best of all, it only costs about 20 euros for the water therapies which includes access to an indoor heated pool, saunas, jacuzzi and relaxation area.

So if you’re ever in Sopot, you absolutely must enjoy the spa at the Sheraton! You’ll understand why after you’ve completed your experience …

While my Easter holiday may not have gone exactly as planned, I wouldn’t have wanted this day to be any different. My stress melted away and I was ready to return to Berlin … or was I?

Stay tuned for an upcoming blog post about how I got stranded in Poland!

Comments

comments

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad May 25, 2012 at 12:51 am

It seems like you had a really beautiful day 🙂 I think Poland really is all about small cities such as Sopot.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm

@A Montrealer Abroad – I think so too! Sopot is so very very beautiful. I really want to see it in the summer!

• Reply Katie Shaw May 25, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I love these images – the quality of the light is amazing. I’ve been to Sopot in summer and it’s mobbed with people. It’s great fun, and really good for people watching, but I actually think now that it looks prettier in winter.

• Reply Andrea May 26, 2012 at 9:25 am

I love the contrast of the snow at the beach. I heard that lots of Berliners go to the “Polish Riviera” for their holidays because it’s so inexpensive. The beaches look nice!

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 27, 2012 at 10:29 pm

@Katie – Thank you! Cool that you’ve seen Sopot in the summer. I think many places are prettier in the winter, I felt that way about Prague.

@Andrea – Lovely, isn’t it? I’d love to go back sometime.

• Reply Dheza - The Weekend Traveller May 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I am searching for a weekend destination this June and you just gave me an idea. I’m very familiar with the port of Gdansk but only because most of the vessels that our company supplies dock there every week. I probably know most of the ship’s agents there. I think it’s time to pay a visit.

Beautiful photos Cheryl, enticing actually. I love beaches, no matter how stormy they are. I think the beach lives in the hearts of every tropical girl.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 27, 2012 at 10:36 pm

@Dheza – Thanks so much! Look forward to hearing about your time there. I think you’ll enjoy and definitely hit up that spa, it’s fantastic. =)

• Reply Cole @ Four Jandals May 28, 2012 at 8:58 am

Brrr not sure that I would enjoy swimming there haha. I love visiting the beach on a wintery day all rugged up warm. Prefer the summer mind you 🙂

• Reply Angela May 28, 2012 at 11:27 am

Beautiful pictures! I went to Sopot once and found a massive storm 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm

@Cole – It was really really cold! Especially with the wind, but oh oh so striking and beautiful.

@Angela – Thanks! Hmmm a stormy day could provide a good photo op as well. 🙂

• Reply Jarmo @ ArcticNomad May 28, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Stunning photos, they really do convey the feeling of cold! 😉 I’m feeling a bit chilly now, which is a bit worrying considering the heat wave we’ve been having over the weekend here in London 🙂

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic May 29, 2012 at 3:25 am

Is that SNOW on the pier in one of the photos?? Brrr…. This city looks lovely, though, and if you say it’s worth visiting instead of watching Game of Thrones, then I’ll believe you… barely. 😉

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 29, 2012 at 5:08 am

@Jarmo – Ha ha! Warm yourself up with a nice big up of coffee. Trust me, I had a lot of coffee and tea that weekend! 😉

@Christy – Yes, snow in April! It was definitely worth it as Sopot is so very beautiful. And well, that spa … more than made up for it! 🙂

• Reply Spencer May 29, 2012 at 5:46 am

Looks like a great place to visit. Might have to put it on my travel wishlist.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 29, 2012 at 8:49 am

@Spencer – It’s lovely! You should go for sure.

• Reply Ele May 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I live in Vilnius, not very far from Sopot, but it would take a weekend trip to go there. The seaside is very similar to our Palanga, esp. the wooden bridge. But we don’t have swans there coming so close.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 29, 2012 at 6:02 pm

@Ele – So cool! I hope to visit Vilnius someda and would love to see your seaside as well. Hope you make it out to Sopot someday soon. 🙂

• Reply Nancie May 30, 2012 at 12:24 am

I can understand why you fell in love with this place. All of your shots are stunning. Being the spa junky that I am, I would have been lining up at the Sheraton spa. I’m heading to Prague in less than a month and can’t wait to take advantage of some of the spas.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 30, 2012 at 6:12 am

@Nancie – Thanks! I hope you enjoy Prague and your time in the spas there. You should look up information on beer baths you take in the area. 🙂

• Reply Laurel May 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Love your cloud photos. I’m fascinated by seas/oceans, maybe because I grew up so far from one.

• Reply Cherina May 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm

This place looks so beautiful, Cheryl! I’m so glad you got found the energy to get out and enjoy it. I had to giggle at you shouting about how great it was. It was really great to finally meet you in Umbria! I hope you have fully recovered from your cold by now and are enjoying your travels.

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm

@Laurel – I want to live by the sea! The best I have is the Spree and lakes that surround Berlin. Not really sooooo great. 😉

@Cherina – Thanks so much! Me too … that cold stuck with me even post TBU. It was great to meet you as well! Maybe we’ll meet again at TBU in Porto?

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica June 1, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Gorgeous photos! It is so awful to be sick when you’re traveling, but if you have limited time in a place, you have to suck it up and enjoy what you can. (I’m fighting a cold right now, but luckily I have already seen the sites and can just watch movies and rest.)

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 3, 2012 at 12:20 am

@Stephanie – why, thank you. It’s horrible to be sick when you’re on the road. I still got out but really had to slow my pace. Hope you get better soon and glad you got to see all the sites you wanted!

• Reply Ayngelina June 4, 2012 at 5:43 am

To be fair I had no idea what Poland looked like but I had no idea it was as pretty as that.

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 4, 2012 at 4:12 pm

@Ayngelina – Poland is one of my favorite countries now!

• Reply Stranded in Konin. | cherylhoward.com June 30, 2012 at 11:12 am

[…] not have already read about my Easter weekend in Gdansk, where I checked out street art and visited the nearby Sopot for my first glimpse of the Baltic Sea and the crazy cool Unvertical […]

• Reply Instagram Postcards Of Berlin – Apr and May 2012 Edition. | cherylhoward.com August 26, 2012 at 8:47 pm

[…] I spent most of April away from Berlin and travelled to Gdansk where I glimpsed the Baltic Sea for the first time, Budapest where I experienced a magical moment watching dusk settle over the city and Umbria where […]