Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Snapshots, South America

An Ode To Lonesome George.

June 26, 2012
Lonesome George.

Lonesome George.

I was quite saddened to learn tonight from a National Geographic article that Lonesome George, the last tortoise of his kind died yesterday at the Charles Darwin Research Station in the Galapagos Islands.

I saw Lonesome George for myself back in May 2007 and managed to piss off my tour guide when I rather mischievously asked him whether or not old George was indeed gay. It was a fair question in my opinion – the tortoise was renowned for being a loner type and not liking members of the opposite sex.

The tour guide’s heated response went something like this (imagine it being said in a thick Spanish accent) …  “Lonesome George is NOT gay. He is definitely NOT gay! We once saw him copulating with a female tortoise“.

Poor George! He’ll be missed by all his fans and even his four spurned girlfriends whom he rejected over the years.

Be sure to check my article about Lonesome George and all the wonderful things that are being done by the The Charles Darwin Foundation for the Galapagos Islands to ensure the continued survival of the Galapagos tortoises.

Not to be missed is my video of two male tortoises humping! Perhaps Lonesome George was gay?

Comments

comments

• Reply Laurel June 26, 2012 at 10:04 am

I was so sad to hear this as well. I visited him in 2009 and he very much lived up to his loner reputation shunning photos, but I loved him anyway.

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm

@Laurel – You weren’t able to get any photos? Oh no! I had to zoom in quite a lot to get this shot, hence the bad quality but happy I got to see him nonetheless.

• Reply Tristan June 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Poor George. I’m sad for him, and his species.

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 26, 2012 at 5:18 pm

@Tristan – Me too! I think the staff at the research center are doing a really good job with the breeding programs though. Maybe there’s hope for the other tortoises.

• Reply Sherry June 26, 2012 at 9:17 pm

So glad you were able to see him when he was still alive. Life is too short. At least you have a hilarious and fond memory of your visit with George.

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic June 26, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Ahhh, poor George. And I wouldn’t be too surprised if he was gay; homosexuality has been well documented among quite a few animal species. He’d be in good company. 😉

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm

@Sherry – I’m so glad for the memory as well, especially after learning he didn’t like to pose for photo opportunities.

@Christy – Did you catch that video? That one male tortoise was so agressive chasing the other one. Poor guy!

• Reply Jarmo @ ArcticNomad July 1, 2012 at 12:44 am

Awww, well, at least you got to meet him! and I suppose now we’ll never know if he was gay or not, but in the end it doesn’t really matter.