Amsterdam, Europe, The Netherlands

Impressions Of Amsterdam.

July 1, 2012
Impressions Of Amsterdam.

Amsterdam is one of my very favorite European cities. While I may not love it as much as Berlin or Budapest because it lacks that rough, gritty Eastern European edge I like so much, it’s definitely a very cool city in it‘s own right and on my “top five” list. If I was to ever leave Germany for some reason, I would actually consider relocating to Amsterdam to live and work.

When visiting for a long weekend last December, I tried to discover an alternative side to Amsterdam. I generally avoided the top rated tourist sites and instead sought out weird and offbeat sites such as a cat sanctuary on a boat, the city’s vibrant street art scene and even the brand new Tattoo Museum.

As I walked through the streets, I soon found myself falling in love with the more traditional aspects of the city too. I suddenly dreamt of having an Amsterdam apartment with a canal view and thought excitingly about how I’d bike to and from work each day alongside the thousands of other cyclists.

Every city leaves an impression on you. You remember what it felt to be there, what it smelled like, what it looked like. Each and every very impression involves a highly unique personal experience.

These photos highlight just some of my personal impressions of Amsterdam.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. An Early Morning Subway Ride.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. Communal Art Space at the Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. Modern Architecture in the Eastern Docklands Neighborhood

Impressions Of Amsterdam. Amsterdam Street Art.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. Flowers and Reflections.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. Biking in Amsterdam.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. Biking in Amsterdam.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. This Home is Filled with Love.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. Iconic Canals.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. Amsterdam by Night.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. Amsterdam by Night.

Impressions Of Amsterdam. The Hemp Hotel (the only bar in Amsterdam where you can drink and also smoke marijuana).

What are your favorite impressions of Amsterdam? Can you recommend any offbeat sites that I should check out when I’m there next?

Comments

comments

• Reply Andrea July 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Nice pics! I especially love ‘Amsterdam by night’ – great colours!

• Reply Waegook Tom July 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Wowowow gorgeous photos! Need to get myself to Amsterdam – flown through the airport a few times, but never gotten myself into the city. Love the window with the hearts in it, and the focus on the bike with the canal in the background 🙂

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad July 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Looove the window reflection shot. Very good photos!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM

@Andrea & @Marie – Thanks so much! <3

@Waegook Tom – It’s a city you definitely need to check out. Such a cool place.

• Reply Cherina July 2, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Avoiding the real touristy sights is great way of getting a feel for a city – I try to do the same. I love your photo of the canal with the bikes in the foreground – that is exactly how I imagine Amsterdam 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM

@Cherina – I still took in some of the tourist sites but I really looked for a different side of the city. Was a good time! And thanks re: the bike photo. 🙂

• Reply Nancie July 2, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Lovely cross section of photos, Cheryl. I was in Amsterdam back in the 1970’s and these make me want to go back!

• Reply Adam July 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Your photos just remind me that I need to visit Amsterdam! Still can’t believe I haven’t been yet…

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

@Nancie – Thanks! You should return, it’s still just as great.

@Adam – Hurry up and get there! 🙂

• Reply Ayngelina July 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’m interested to see how you like Brussels, I spent 12 hours there and didn’t think much of it but I’m sure there has to be another side.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM

@Ayngelina – I think I’m going to like the beer, I know that much. 🙂

• Reply Brock - Backpack With Brock July 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Amsterdam is such a unique place! I loved all your photos

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM

@Brock – Thanks so much! I love Amsterdam too … can’t wait to return someday soon.

• Reply Laurel July 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Gorgeous photos, but I missed the cat photos from the boat cat sanctuary 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 10, 2012 at 4:50 PM

@Laurel – Thanks! I tried to add in some new photos this time, not relating to previous posts. And oh I lvoe that sanctuary! 🙂

• Reply Jarmo @ ArcticNomad July 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Great shots Cheryl! Amsterdam is such a vibrant and cool place. And you really managed to find some offbeat places, I need to explore more when I go there next time.

• Reply nicoleisthenewblack July 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Cheryl these pictures are amazing!! I really need to learn your post processing tricks!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM

@Jarmo – Thanks soo much! I heart Amsterdam too … can’t wait to back.

@Nicole – Thanks! Let’s have a nerdy meet-up soon. I have loads to ask you and Adam.

• Reply Christy @ Technosyncratic July 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM

We fell in love with Amsterdam – it’s such a vibrant, beautiful city. I really like the night photos you took of the canals! Ours came out a little…. blurry. 😉

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM

@Christy – Thanks! I had to use my tripod and snap many many many shots before I got ones that worked! 🙂

• Reply jade July 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Love the photos, Cheryl! You are so talented at night shots… something I struggle with so much!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM

@Jade – Aww, thanks! It took my tripod and a lootttt of takes to get those shots. 🙂

• Reply Places I’d like to visit #1 – Amsterdam | Katie Blogs Things April 16, 2015 at 1:41 PM

[…] (Source) (Source) […]