Berlin, Europe, Expat Living, Germany

Celebrating Canada Day In Berlin … With Canadian Pizza!?!?

July 2, 2012
Canada Day In Berlin.

Have you ever heard of Canadian pizza? I’d always thought it an Italian speciality with some American cities like Chicago and New York garnering some attention for their unique take on the food but I’d never once thought that pizza was uniquely Canadian. Maybe poutine but certainly not pizza.

Then you’d expect to actually find Canadian pizza in Canada, most likely in the foodie heavens of Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal. You’d never guess that in the heart of Berlin a little pizza joint known as Ron Telesky Canadian Pizza would exist.

Canada Day In Berlin.

I’m a bit embarrassed to say that I learned about this place from two Germans, a couple from Munich. They told me the place was filled with kitsch Canadian memorabilia and that there was even a pizza topped with maple syrup.

How is it possible that such a place exists? And how is it possible that the place is owned and operated by a German and not a Canadian expat trying to bring a bit of home to Berlin. Maybe he wants to be Canadian?

I knew I needed to head to Kreuzberg to see this place as soon as possible and thought it fitting to check it out on Canada day and with a couple of other girls from Toronto.

When we arrived, there was a Canadian Expat meet-up in full swing! Apparently we weren’t the only Canucks who thought of honouring our national holiday by having pizza.

Everyone was sitting outside on wooden stumps, lawn chairs and some even gathered in a canoe.

Canada Day In Berlin.

The iconic Canadian symbols continued on the interior. As the Bavarian couple promised, the place was very kitsch but I loved the sweet reminders of home nonetheless.

Canada Day In Berlin.

Canada Day In Berlin.

Canada Day In Berlin.

Canada Day In Berlin.

The menu includes some pizza dishes hilariously named the Cronenberg Cash, Back To The Future, Montreal Blow and the Wayne Gretzky.

Being a former ice hockey fanatic, of course I was all about the Wayne Gretzky which is made with feta, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, Italian salami, speck and chorizo, hot peppers, chili flakes and caramelized onions.

While you can sample a slice for about 3 euros, it’s more fun to order a giant pizza which generally runs at about 20 euros. While it seems expensive, you really get your money’s worth as the pizza could easily feed a small nation … or in our case a party of five.

Here’s the shop owner serving us our Gretzky.

Canada Day In Berlin.

Another delightful surprise was the North American sodas. I had both a Cream Soda and Root Beer! If you prefer beer, you can order some Moosehead.

Canada Day In Berlin.

Finally, here’s the Toronto girls wishing our nation a happy birthday to the country 145 years young.

Canada Day In Berlin.

Want to experience a taste of Canada here in Berlin? Head on over to Ron Telesky and have some weird and wonderful Canadian pizza!

Ron Telesky Canadian Pizza
Dieffenbachstraße 62, 10967 Berlin, Germany
030 61621111

View Larger Map

Comments

comments

• Reply Adam July 3, 2012 at 12:09 am

“and some even gathered in a canoe”

hahahah! AMAZING. I (heart) Kreuzberg!

PS I really love that photo of the A&W cans.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 3, 2012 at 12:18 am

@Adam – Yeah, sit outside in a canoe and eat a party sized Canadian pizza in Berlin possibly flavored with maple syrup. BA HA HA!! So weird, yet so amazing as you say! 🙂

Thanks re: the A&W cans photo!

• Reply Sabrina Scott July 3, 2012 at 12:24 am

This must be the place in Kreuzberg that Tim was telling me about! My reaction was the same as yours ‘pizza isn’t Canadian!’

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 3, 2012 at 1:06 am

@Sabrina – For sure! So weird, right? I love it, cheesy as it is. 🙂

• Reply fotoeins | Henry July 3, 2012 at 2:06 am

Thanks to your post, Cheryl, I realize I must make a pilgrimage to this place this fall to honour the symbols of our country … by consuming a Canadian pizza! Yum.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 3, 2012 at 10:49 am

@Henry – It’s definitely worth a visit, that’s for sure.

• Reply Lhizzie July 3, 2012 at 6:43 am

Love that pizza so much! Actually, this is the first time I have heard about this Canadian pizza.. I want to try this if I can come to Canada someday.. Love this idea!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 3, 2012 at 10:53 am

@Lhizzie – I am not sure if these pizza styles actually exist in Canada!? Apparently, the owner lived in Canada for a while and picked up some of these recipes while there. I do like his idea though, it’s fun and for me nice to experience a bit of home. 🙂

• Reply Chantelle July 3, 2012 at 8:56 am

I am not sure they know about this place! On Sunday we were invited to their place for a Canada Day Party with delicious food and of course, Pizza!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 3, 2012 at 10:55 am

@Chantelle – Sounds pretty good to me! 🙂

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad July 3, 2012 at 10:47 am

A maple syrup pizza? While I have yet to see this at home, it kind of looks delish. And I kind of want to try it!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 3, 2012 at 10:56 am

@Marie – You need to come Berlin! Then we’ll make the visit together. 🙂

• Reply Will Peach July 3, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Bloody hell I’m feeling hungry now. If only they had pizzas this big in Spain.

• Reply Cheryl July 3, 2012 at 5:16 pm

@Will – It’s a great excuse to come and visit Berlin! There’s a shit load of travel bloggers here too that you can hang out with. 🙂

• Reply Leigh July 4, 2012 at 12:19 am

What a find for all the Canadians living in or visiting Berlin. I think I’ll pass on the maple syrup on a pizza – though in Boulder, Colorado there’s a place that puts honey on a pizza.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 4, 2012 at 12:46 pm

@Leigh – Very true! I’m not sure if I’d try the pizza wtih maple syrup either. 🙂

• Reply Margaret Bourne July 4, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Maple syrup on pizza? YUM.

I remember learning about how Germans have a fascination with North America and Canada, particularly the cultural, wilderness and First Nations. So I’m not too surprised there’s a Canadian pizza restaurant with so much memorabilia.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm

@Margaret – I don’t know about that maple syrup pizza … lol! And do you know about the German’s fascination with How I Met Your Mother? They think the country is filled with Robyn Sparkles’ types 🙂

• Reply Samuel @ Backpacking Travel Blog July 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

That looks soooo good! Love the hockey sticks and root beer…LOL I just discovered Chicago Deep Dish pizza in Korea. I’ve in heaven 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 5, 2012 at 2:44 pm

@Samuel – It wasn’t bad! And nice about discovering a deep dish … in Korea of all places! 🙂

• Reply Bohemian Trails July 6, 2012 at 12:57 am

Looks like so much fun Cheryl!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

@Megan – It was a blast! I wouldn’t go there often, but now definitely have a place to take visiting Canadian friends. 🙂

• Reply Andrea July 6, 2012 at 11:49 am

Love your hair and the new look of your site!! I’ve heard of Canadian bacon but not Canadian pizza – looks like a fun way to celebrate the holiday =)

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm

@Andrea – Thanks! There really isn’t any Canadian pizza … but I like these guys for trying. 🙂

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica July 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Kitsch is only truly appreciated when outside your home country.

• Reply Jade Johnston - OurOyster.com July 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

I love it! I was in Cairns Australia for Canada day but there was nothing really Canadian happening in the city… too small I guess… but last year I was in Wellington and found this random cocktail bar serving Canadian style cocktails with perogies on the side! Amazing!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm

@Jade – Ha ha, me too! I’m not sure how perogies and cocktails pair but I love the weirdness of that as I love the weirdness of Canadian pizza. 😀

• Reply Laurel July 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

So cool! Please take me there the next time I’m in Berlin. What I would do for a rootbeer. That’s what I miss most about living in Germany, although I did find a place in Munich that sells it – for 2.95 Euro/can – ouch!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm

@Laurel – It’s a date then! And wow, that’s really expensive for a single root beer.

• Reply Matt Gibson July 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Happy Canada D’Eh! Looks like you’re having a good time in Berlin!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 10, 2012 at 5:44 pm

@Matt – Thanks and same to you! yep, Berlin us super fab. 🙂

• Reply Tony July 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

We got into Berlin on July 1st & are staying through August 4th in the Kreuzberg area….we have literally walked past this place 10 times and always wondered what the heck Canadian pizza was!

It looked delicious though… so upset we missed an event like this! At the very least, we are now putting this on our radar as a dinner spot in the next few nights. Thanks for the tip!

• Reply Ayngelina July 15, 2012 at 11:22 pm

SO much fun, but what is on the Gretsky pizza, does he like chiles?

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 16, 2012 at 9:55 am

@Ayngelina – I wonder if he knows there’s a pizza place named after him in Berlin? 🙂

• Reply 3 reasons I want to experience Canada | Travels of Adam - Hipster travel around the world July 17, 2012 at 1:09 am

[…] it all sorts of funny names—but it’s only because Canada is so adorably quirky. Things like Canadian pizza and weird city names are just some of the reasons why this big country up north will always get my […]

• Reply Sherry July 24, 2012 at 9:24 am

Everything is big in Canada, including the pizza, huh? Looks delicious! Its great you could celebrate your special national holiday all the way across the world.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 24, 2012 at 9:35 am

@Sherry – This is not typical pizza in Canada or anywhere but some crazy Berlin adaptation. 🙂

It was cool to celebrate Canada Day in Berlin though.

• Reply Instagram Postcards Of Berlin – Jul 2012 Edition. | cherylhoward.com November 6, 2012 at 3:59 pm

[…] knew there was such a thing as Canadian pizza? A bunch of us crazy Canucks gathered at Ron Telesky to celebrate Canada […]

• Reply So I Moved To Berlin. Just How Did I Make Friends? | cherylhoward.com December 15, 2012 at 6:37 pm

[…] had fun going along with a couple of Canadian friends on Canada Day to a Canadian expat meet-up at a Canadian pizza place (and yes, this […]