Europe, Poland, Restaurants, Szczecin

Cafe Popularna in Szczecin, Poland.

August 12, 2012
Cafe Popularna in Szczezin, Poland.

Heading to Szczecin for a solo weekend last month, I was determined to spend most of it holed up in a cafe working on my Weekend Guide to Budapest. While I’d hung out in the surfer inspired Brama Jazz Cafe the year before, I wanted to find a different but equally cool place this time around.

Turning to my ever trusty friend – Four Square, I searched for candidates that were close to the city center and near my hotel. Shamefully, I was tired and too lazy to walk far that day!

Search results showed that locals like to patronize Cafe Popularna, a funky cafe with a 1970’s retro vibe.

Cafe Popularna in Szczezin, Poland.

As soon as I entered the building, I knew that I’d found the perfect place to relax, feel inspired and get some work done. Unlike the kinder filled cafes in my Berlin neighborhood of Prenzlauer Berg, the place was almost empty and super quiet. I was in heaven and ready to write.

The cafe is surprisingly large. In addition to ample seating outside during warmer weather months, it spans over two floors.

On the main floor, you’ll find a bright and airy space filled with couches and vintage inspired tables and chair sets. This is where I chose to set-up office for the day.

Tip – Free wifi is available and also works in the outdoor patio area – just ask the staff for the password.

Cafe Popularna in Szczezin, Poland.

Downstairs, there’s a cozy reading nook and even more places to chill out.

Cafe Popularna in Szczezin, Poland.

Cafe Popularna in Szczezin, Poland.

I ended up spending a solid four to five hours here so of course, I had food and sampled some Polish beer. My health conscious effort to eat a salad was completely destroyed by the two bottles of plum flavoured beers I drank. The beer was so good that I couldn’t resist …

Cafe Popularna in Szczezin, Poland.

Cafe Popularna in Szczezin, Poland.

Cafe Popularna
Panieńska 20 Szczecin, Poland.
695 565 525

View Larger Map

Comments

comments

• Reply Cole @ Four Jandals August 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Neat little cafe you found! And wish we had your weekend guide to Budapest as we just got back from there on Sunday night 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 14, 2012 at 3:56 PM

@Cole – I heart this cafe! I always seem to find the coolest cafes in Poland. They might just be owning “cafe culture”.

• Reply Brock - Backpack With Brock August 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM

What a cool cafe!

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM

@Brock – Agree! I could use a day trip back to Poland just to hang out there again. 🙂

• Reply Nancie M August 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Plum flavored beer sounds like a real treat. Great looking cafe!

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM

@Nancie – That beer was soooo good! I’ve had a thing for fruit beer recently. 🙂

• Reply Reena @ Wanderplex August 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Nice find! I love discovering cozy or funky cafes in foreign cities, especially if it’s a rainy day or you want to catch up on some reading/writing. And somehow it makes you feel a little bit less like a tourist and a little more like a local when you find some little gem that most of the other foreigners don’t seem to know about!

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM

@Reena – Thanks! Me too, it was such a great a spot to work. And you’re right as there weren’t any tourists in the cafe at all.

• Reply Instagramming Szczecin, Poland. | cherylhoward.com February 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM

[…] inner Michael Jackson. The writer in me loved spending hours in their hip and stylish cafes like Cafe Popularna and Brama Jazz Cafe. And the urban grittiness is somehow still appealing to […]

• Reply My Travel Affairs April 25, 2013 at 5:30 AM

This is one of my favourite places in Szczecin 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

@My Travel Affairs – Mine too! I miss that beer.

• Reply My Travel Affairs April 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM