Belgium, Brussels, Europe

The Making Of The Floral Carpet In Brussels.

August 20, 2012
Flower Carpet in Brussels' Grand Palace

You might think that going to see a flower carpet would be pretty boring. But when you feast your eyes on the thing and really I mean the whole thing, you quickly realize how much work goes into the production of the carpet and the event itself.

Every two years, the city of Brussels puts on a show like no other when they roll out a gigantic carpet of flowers measuring 1800 square meters in size. It’s true, you won’t find anything like this anywhere else in the world.

Flower Carpet in Brussels' Grand Palace

Flower Carpet in Brussels' Grand Palace

Flower Carpet in Brussels' Grand Palace

This year, a mind boggling 600,000 begonias were used to build the carpet of flowers paying tribute to Africa nations Ethiopia, Congo, Nigeria, Botswana and Cameroon. Even more unfathomable is knowing that it can take up to one year to plan a single carpet but only takes a team of 100 gardeners four hours to string the whole thing together.

Running from August 14 – 19, more than 100,000 people came to view Brussels’ biggest tourist attraction at Grand Place and take part in a tradition celebrated since 1971. The floral carpet idea was originally developed by landscape architect E. Stautemans who had a passion for begonias and oddly enough developing floral carpets!

Flower Carpet in Brussels' Grand Palace

Flower Carpet in Brussels' Grand Palace

Tips – visit the floral carpet as early as possible during it’s brief exhibition to see it at it’s freshest and most beautiful. In fact, it’s best to visit on the opening night when a special presentation is held. Otherwise, tour the town hall at Grand Place to get a panoramic view of the carpet (admission is approximately 5 euros. And stop by at night to view the flowers and the surroundings in a more romantic light.

I feel incredibly lucky to have been able to see the floral carpet for myself, something I’d always dreamed of doing! I’m quite tempted to make my way back to Brussels in the summer of 2014 when they roll out yet another new carpet of begonias.

Grand Palace
1000 City of Brussels, Belgium
02 502 02 66

View Larger Map

* Disclosure – My weekend stay in Brussels was complimentary, courtesy of Belgien Tourismus. Any opinions expressed are entirely my own.

Comments

comments

• Reply Andrea August 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM

This is so beautiful! I have only been to Antwerp and Bruges – have to get to Brussels sometime soon.

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM

@Andrea – It’s quite the thing to behold! And Brussels is a great city. I quite liked my weekend there. 🙂

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad (@amontrealer) August 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Wow, I didn’t know it was only every two years – I’ll have to time my visit right then 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM

@A Montrealer Abroad – Brussels is waiting to welcome you in 2014. 🙂 🙂

• Reply ouroysterjade August 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM

omg i know how crowded the grote markt can be normally, so imagine how crowdy it must be now!! cool exhibition though!

• Reply Brock - Backpack With Brock August 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM

This is amazing! Worth a visit for sure

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM

@Jade & Brock – It was super hot and crowded! Really loved seeing the carpet though as it really makes for one beautiful setting. I only wish I had seen it at night.

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica August 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

That is truly amazing!

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM

@Stephanie – I think so too. I mean you can only stare at it for so long but it’s definitely quite extraordinary. 🙂

• Reply Dean August 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Well, it looks extremely time consuming, but definitely quite spectacular!

• Reply One million flowers: Photos of the Brussels Flower Carpet | Travels of Adam - Hipster travel around the world September 9, 2012 at 4:07 AM

[…] into the flower carpet at the appropriate time. If you’re interested, learn a bit more about how they make the flower carpet on […]

• Reply Deb December 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM

those shots are amazing, I’d love to be in Brussels during that time.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM

@Deb – Thank you so much! I’d always dreamed of seeing it too. Hope you make it there for the next one in two years. 🙂

• Reply Sofie March 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Although I live in Belgium and just half an hour away from Brussels, I’ve actually never seen the carpet myself.
    Shame on me!
    Something to do next year…
    Great pictures, by the way:)

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM

@Sofie – Thank you so much! Hope you make it there to see for yourself.

• Reply Ten Weird and Wonderful Things in Brussels. | cherylhoward.com March 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM

[…] Perhaps it was simply being featured as a kitsch item in celebration of the floral carpet event? […]

• Reply From Mexico to Flanders: The Fascinating History of Chocolate April 3, 2015 at 5:57 AM

[…] Fancy more of Flanders? Read about  The Making Of The Floral Carpet In Brussels […]