Europe, Germany, Munich

Video: Instagram Postcards of Munich.

September 15, 2012
Instagram Postcards of Munich.

Which city do you like better? Berlin or Munich?

I’d finished up a late night dinner at a cheap dive restaurant near Munich’s main train station before departing on an overnight train ride for Berlin. The kindly owner had chatted me up asking me were I was from and what I was doing in Germany. After telling him I didn’t move here for love, school or work (like most) and quickly explaining exactly why I moved to Berlin – he then posed this rather loaded question.

My response?  “Umm, well there’s pros and cons of both.” He laughed and replied that “Berlin is dirty and full of freaks!

The best part is that he’s absolutely right! That’s part of what makes Berlin … so very Berlin. It’s also why I love it so much. Just check out my Postcards from Berlin Expat Living series.

After two weekends in Munich, I must confess that the city won me over. While I’m not about to move there anytime soon, I think that Berliners put down the Bavarian city far too often. Their dialect may be different and they weirdly enough sport lederhosen and dirndls beyond the confines of Oktoberfest but there’s plenty to love about Munich. It’s really pretty, super clean, the beer is better, there’s tons of cool bars and you can even surf in a river.

So to kick off my new video series, check out this video “Instragram Postcards of Munich”.

Photos were taken over two weekends in June before/after I volunteered at Englischhausen in the Black Forest and a Saturday in early September after I spent a few days in glorious Alpe di Siusi (blog posts about both coming soon).

Featured in the video:

1. Bayerischer Hof – this is one of Munich’s fanciest 5-star hotels. While I couldn’t afford to stay the night, I didn’t let it stop me from enjoying a glass of prosecco and a slice of cake in their lobby bar. I also hung out at their spa enjoying water therapies (runs about 40 euros for an afternoon). Note – be prepared to get naked in the sauna but remember to keep your swim trunks on for the pool.
  2. Englischer Garten – the public park is big, so big that it’s actually one of the largest in the world outsizing New York’s Central Park. There’s a few beer gardens, interesting architecture, a spot for naked sunbathers and yes, the chance to watch pros surf in the river.
  3. Hofbräuhaus – it’s totally touristy, but you need to come here at least once to have a stein of beer and soak up the history. It was here that Adolf Hitler outlined his 25 point plan for the Nazi party.
  4. L’Osteria – come here to grab a pizza with friends in a really beautiful setting. Arrive hungry as the pizzas are huge!
  5. Wombats Hostel – a mere five minutes walk from the main train station, its’s the perfect place to stay if you want to meet young people from around the world and partake in a party atmosphere. Their common area is set-up with hammocks and lounge chairs and was a great place to watch Germany win against Portugal in the nation’s first EC 2012 game. Be sure to book a private room, as some even have double-beds and their own terrace!

Other things to do in Munich? Indulge in potatoes at the Schwabinger Kartoffelhaus and learn about local history at the Bier and Oktoberfest Museum.

Follow me on Instagram (@cdngrrleh) or view my photo stream for updates on my travels across Europe and adventures at home in Berlin.  You can also follow my Vimeo channel to see even more videos like this one.

* Disclosure – My stay at Wombats Hostel was courtesy of Hostelworld. A huge thanks to them for helping to support my volunteer efforts with Englischausen! Any opinions expressed about my newfound love for Munich and Wombats Hostel are entirely my own.

Comments

comments

• Reply crazy sexy fun traveler September 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Hm didn’t know Munich was so nice! Liked the video, apart from the beer I would do everything 😀

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM

@Crazy Sexy Fun Traveler – You could have one of the alcohol free beers! 😀

• Reply Rob September 17, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Munich looks great, wish I had spent some time instead of just taking a train to and from!?

• Reply Shamis @ Gawaya Travel Blog September 17, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Munich – beer and Oktoberfest is what comes to my mind. Like the video. Munich sure looks beautiful.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

@Rob – It’s definitely a place worth spending some time! Although I am more partial to Berlin, not that I’m biased or anything.

@Shamis – Thanks so much! It is beautiful, for sure. 🙂

• Reply fotoeins | Henry September 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Cheryl, you’ve made Munich look really great with your video. I’m very partial to areas in Schwabing and Muenchner Freiheit. Thanks to your video, I’m now looking forward to going back and visiting my favourite spots in the city; I also hope to see more of the Isarvorstadt to the south next time.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM

@Henry – Thanks for your kind comments. I hope you enjoy Munich when you make your return to Germany.

• Reply no travel required | the lazy travelers September 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM

[…] Love all of these. Mostly the beer ones. Instagram Postcards of Munich […]

• Reply Brock - Backpack With Brock September 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Your video really sells me on Munich!

• Reply Adela @Fourjandals September 19, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I loved Munich and I have always wondered how Berlin compares, but watching this has made me want to go back to Munich as its such a great place!

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM

@Brock – Yay, that’s the intended effect.

@Adela – There is no comparison as the cities are so very different but both really have their merits! 🙂

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica September 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Totally agree that a trip to Hofbräuhaus is a must. I loved the traditional Bavarian breakfast (can’t remember the name now).

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM

@Stephanie – I’ve been there 3-4 times now! Need to hit up cool new places but it’s great if you’re a first time to Munich. 🙂

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad (@amontrealer) September 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I wasn’t a big fan of Munich – sure it was pretty and all, but I felt it didn’t have a soul, a personality, like most big cities are supposed to have. It just seemed very bourgeois and fancy to me!

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

@A Montrealer Abroad – It may appear that way at first, but if you stay for a while and really get to know the city you’ll see that Munich is a fun place with a relaxed, cool, hip vibe. The Englischer Garten with all of it’s beer gardens, river surfing and nude sun bathing spots is great and there are plenty of really nice bars! It’s my third favorite German city after Berlin and Hamburg. 🙂

• Reply Ayngelina October 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Full of freaks…I actually like visiting cities like that especially since Toronto has so many of its own.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM

@Ayngelina – Then you would love Berlin! Trust me, no matter how hard Toronto tries, it will never ever be as weird as Berlin. Toronto is chaste and puritan in comparison! 🙂

• Reply Munich Skyline Photo - Monkeys, Mountains and Maultaschen October 12, 2012 at 6:54 PM

[…] out Cheryl’s (from CherylHoward.com) take on Munich:  Instagram Postcards of Munich. Tweet reddit_url = "http://monkeysandmountains.com/munich-skyline-photo"; reddit_title = […]