Belgium, Brussels, Europe, Restaurants

Queen For A Day At Belga Queen Restaurant in Brussels.

September 29, 2012
Belga Queen Brussels.

Since moving to Berlin, I haven’t exactly been the healthiest eater. Many times I skip dinner altogether replacing my nightly meal with a supplement of wine and cigarettes. When I do actually eat, it’s more often than not a frozen pizza or a bag of salt and vinegar chips. Worst of all, I sometimes grab a burger from the McDonalds at Alexanderplatz and eat it while waiting for the M4 tram. I blame it on the busy life of a freelancer, working a lot and not having free time to cook a healthy dinner.

I also blame my financial situation. As a poor writer, I no longer can spend so freely. My new life sees me sleeping on a futon and dealing with an old washing machine that requires me to sit on it each time it’s in the spin cycle. Fortunately, through the miracle of travel blogging I’m sometimes invited on press trips where I can pretend for a few days to live like a queen.

Belga Queen in Brussels.

This happened when I visited Brussels last month and had one of the best meals of my life at Belga Queen, a restaurant where contemporary architecture meets haute cuisine.

Belga Queen Brussels.

Situated in a belle époque styled 18th century building that formerly hosted a hotel and a bank, the owner Antoine Pinto respects the original space leaving the stained glass skylight as the restaurant’s center piece. Intended to be a twist on the traditional brasserie, it’s decorated with modern artwork from local artists.

Belga Queen Brussels.

Belga Queen Brussels.

Antoine has an interesting background – as a 17 year old refugee, he arrived in Belgium to begin school at the Académie des Beaux-Arts to study architectural interior design. He then financed his post-secondary education by cooking in different restaurants. Over time he came to be known as a top chef opening restaurants in Lisbon, Ghent and of course Brussels.

In addition to the restaurant, there’s oyster and beer bars and even a cigar lounge in the former bank vault where a DJ plays each night from Wednesday through Saturday.

Belga Queen Brussels.

Eating At Belga Queen.

Then of course, there’s the food. At Belga Queen, you’ll be taken on a “gastronomic trip through Brussels“. As Antoine is an ambassador for Made in Belgium, all food and drink products are completely local. As expected, they serve up over 30 types of local beers and rather surprisingly, Belgium wine.

The menu is vast and you’ll need time to pour through it’s pages. I opted for one of their suggested menus – the light one, as I’d already overindulged earlier that day on Belgium’s famous frites.

The seafood based first and second courses were not only healthy, but delicious!

Belga Queen Brussels.

Belga Queen Brussels.

Then it was time for my heavenly dessert, a perfect small serving that was light and fruity.

Belga Queen Brussels.

Good to Know.

1. while there, you must must must use the bathroom. Don’t ask why, just trust me that’s it worth the visit.
  2. There’s also a second Belga Queen location in Ghent.
  3. This is a restaurant for those who like the finer things in life. So only come here if you’re looking for a high-end decadent dining experience – starters run from 15-28 euros and mains from 22-48 euros.

Getting There.

Belga Queen
Rue Fossé aux Loups 32
1000 Brussels
+32 2.217.21.87

If you like this post, share it on Pinterest.
Belga Queen in Brussels

* Disclosure – My weekend stay in Brussels was complimentary, courtesy of Belgien Tourismus. Any opinions expressed about my desire to be a queen for the day are entirely my own.

Comments

comments

• Reply With Italian Love September 30, 2012 at 11:27 am

Wow, it’s great how you appreciate especially nice weekends like this so much more when your everyday life is such a contrast (not a bad way of life either, a heck of a lot more interesting!). Also love how you specify that your desire to be a queen is your own!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

@With Italian Love – Ha ha, true these moments are much more special. 🙂

• Reply Simon September 30, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Oh, what a wonderful place! ANd now I feel even more sorry for having missed dinner at the Belga Queen in Ghent because I was in bed with very high fever.

Well… I like being an optimist and thinking that’s it’s just one of the many reasons to go back to Brussels and Flanders 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm

@Simon – It’s quite beautiful and the food, soo good! I hope you make it back to one of those places, as it’s definitely worth the $$ to have dinner there. 🙂

• Reply Andrea October 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Yum! This looks amazing!! We should probably adopt your diet given how expensive food is in Norway but we still spend too much money on food…

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 3, 2012 at 1:59 pm

@Andrea – I wouldn’t recommend wine and cigarettes nor frozen pizza and chips! I need to find a way to dine on the cheap but in a more healthy fashion. 🙂

And Belga Queen is a great place to check out should you ever make it to Brussels. Very romantic. 😉

• Reply Sherry October 6, 2012 at 1:17 am

Its weird that some of the best things are in the most unassuming places. I’d pay a little extra just to eat here. Beautiful!

• Reply Natalie October 6, 2012 at 5:50 am

I am normally a lover of street food but would pay extra to go for this place. Just to admire the decor would be enough

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm

@Sherry – It’s gorgeous, isn’t it. Soo romantic.

@Natalie – Street food is good too, especially where you live in Turkey! 🙂

• Reply Ayngelina October 6, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I SO went to the wrong place in Brussels, this is right up my alley.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 6, 2012 at 11:49 pm

@Ayngelina – Wait to see the rest of the posts about where we ate! It was a pretty decadent weekend from a food/drink perspective.

• Reply Adela @ FourJandals October 7, 2012 at 7:57 pm

What a beautiful restaurant! Very jealous – the food looks amazing to.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 7, 2012 at 11:13 pm

@Adela – Ok, you can be jealous this one time. 😉

• Reply Dean October 11, 2012 at 10:04 am

Wow lucky you! What a beautiful restaurant. I would probably feel out of place there 😉

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 11, 2012 at 10:58 am

@Dean – Ha ha, I kinda did too! I had no idea how fancy it was until we arrived.

• Reply How To "Romance Yourself" Around Europe. | cherylhoward.com February 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm

[…] if you want to feel like a queen for the day then romance yourself and have dinner at Belga Queen in Brussels. This swanky designer restaurant set in an historical property takes pride in using […]

• Reply Design hotel in Brussels: The Dominican August 5, 2013 at 12:50 pm

[…] Saint-Hubert where you can find all sorts of touristic (and local!) things to do (and near a delightfully delicious Belgian restaurant). It’s a member of Design Hotels and the rooms certainly met a design level of standard. I […]

• Reply ebe October 8, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for sharing the restaurant recommendation love Cheryl! We’re looking into a birthday trip to Brussels and this might just be the perfect setting for a special meal.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 8, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Ebe – Thank you so much for reading it! It’s a perfect place to celebrate a birthday. But please – use the bathroom and tell me what you think. 😀