Europe, Krakow, Poland

A City By Night: Krakow, Poland.

October 17, 2012
Krakow by Night.

Last January I spent an unforgettable weekend in Krakow. I haven’t been able to get it out of mind since then and I find myself aching to return.

I remember it being really cold. A thin layer of pure white snow thinly covered the ground. My parka and newly purchased “chewbacca hat” barely protected me from the elements. At times, my fingers and toes became numb as I walked through the city.

Krakow was devoid of tourists and seemed almost tragic and forlorn. There were empty abandoned buildings, a proliferation of graffiti, the presence of a heavy emotional weight after visiting the New Jewish cemetery.

I warmed myself by splendid meals and Polish vodka. I cheered myself by hanging out in cool cafes and visiting quirky markets.  I plotted my return rather wistfully.

Krakow was gritty and rough and … somehow just me.

Then it was sunset and the city transformed into a different being all together, it became something quite beautiful and extraordinary as night settled.

Krakow By Night

Krakow by Night.

Krakow by Night.

Krakow by Night.

Krakow by Night.

Krakow by Night.

Krakow by Night.

Krakow by Night.

Krakow by Night.

Krakow by Night.

Krakow by Night.

If I hadn’t already been in love, I certainly fell a little harder.

Krakow, you’ve made your way into my heart and I’ll be back to see you again someday! We were only together for one weekend and there’s so many other things I want to do like visit the inside of Wawel Castle to see that crazy fire breathing dragon and pay my respects at Auschwitz.

Comments

comments

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad (@amontrealer) October 18, 2012 at 10:53 am

Love the last photo!

• Reply Laurel October 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Beautiful photos, now I REALLY want to visit!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 19, 2012 at 10:07 am

@Laurel – It’s a cool little city. I hope very much to return someday! And stay tuned … I’ll be posting day photos soon.

• Reply Jarmo October 19, 2012 at 12:51 am

Great photos! I think I would also like Krakow

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 19, 2012 at 10:08 am

@Jarmo – You will like it for sure! The Jewish district is super cool to hang out in …

• Reply Andrea October 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm

It is a very beautiful city – LOVE these night shots!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

@Andrea – I have such fond memories of my visit! 🙂 And thank you, glad you liked the photos.

• Reply Ayngelina October 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I can see how you could easily fall in love with Krakow, the photos are fantastic.

• Reply LandLopers Picks of the Week October 20, 2012 at 5:55 am

[…] travel list. Take a look and be amazed by the beauty in places where you may not always expect it.A City By Night: Krakow, Poland3. The World is my Jungle GymBrendan is on an interesting journey through Africa, and not one many […]

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica October 31, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I really like that last photo. Not the most grand, but I think it’s the most interesting.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm

@Stephanie – Thanks! It seens to be a popular photo. 😉

• Reply Photos: The Chain Bridge in Budapest at Night. | cherylhoward.com January 21, 2013 at 2:40 pm

[…] is a perfect time to stroll any city like Prague, Krakow and Szczecin to name just a few. To me Budapest by night is when the city is at it’s very […]