Europe, Instagram, Italy, Porto Venere

Instagramming … Porto Venere, Italy.

October 24, 2012
Instagramming Porto Venere.

This past weekend, I made my fourth trip to Italy this year. You read that correctly, it’s my fourth time this year. I simply can’t get enough of my favorite country. When it’s love, it’s love?!

I made my way from Berlin to Genova to join the tail-end of the Travel Blogger Elevator (TBE) conference. While I didn’t attend the conference itself, I did meet-up with some familiar faces for the unofficial post conference party and the usual fun. Note to self, next time attend the actual conference!

Taking note from past conferences in Umbria and Porto, I went to bed early this time in order to prepare for a blog trip through Eastern Liguria which was due to start the next day and not be my usual hungover self.

And the blog trip started off with a bang in the coastal town of Porto Venere, a UNESCO world heritage site since 1997. As you walk through this scenic seaside town, you’ll easily see why the English poet Lord Byron found inspiration for his literary work here.

Instagramming Porto Venere.

After wandering the picturesque streets, we stopped for cooking lessons at Portivene – a small trattoria where we sampled mussels which are a local specialty. Not usually a fish person, I happily overdosed in three types of mussel dishes and a local white wine.

If you’re in Porto Venere, Portivene is a “must visit”. This cute little spot boasts fresh delicious foods at super cheap prices in a non-pretentious setting. They even offer take away, perfect for a romantic picnic overlooking the water.

Too small to have a web site, you can find them at Via Capellini 94 in Porto Venere or call 0187 792722.

Instagramming Porto Venere.

Just before we took a short boat ride out to the sea, we ran into this adorable dog taking a snooze in the middle of a pedestrian thoroughfare under the late October sun. Behind him are locals bartering for a portion of the day’s catch!

Instagramming Porto Venere.

As we journeyed out towards the vast blue expanse of the Mediterranean, we glimpsed the Church of St Peter off into the distance. Consecrated in 1198, it’s the town’s most iconic and enduring landmark.

Instagramming Porto Venere.

We also passed by the Scola Tower, a former military building and lookout.

Instagramming Porto Venere.

As if we weren’t filled enough my mussels and wine, we left for nearby Castelnuovo Magra for a wine tasting. Tasting two whites and one red wine at Ca’Lunae, I couldn’t help but fall in love with the charming setting of their vineyard complete with fresh limes and quiet spaces.

If you’re lucky, you’ll meet the owner who really loves the ladies and will gift you with not only a kiss on each cheek but even one on the lips! Hot action aside, the wine alone should be enough to bring you here.

Address – Via Bozzi 63, Ortonovon 19034,  Italy.

Instagramming Porto Venere.

If you like my photos, follow me on Instagram (@cherylhowardblog) to see updates from my life in Toronto and of course, on the road.

* Disclosure – My time in Porto Venere was complimentary, courtesy of Liguria Tourism. Any opinions expressed about my love for small town Italy and tasty mussels are entirely my own.

Comments

comments

• Reply Andrea October 26, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I would LOVE to take cooking lessons in Italy – yum!!

• Reply Simon October 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

What a lovely photo essay. I went to Porto Venere last year and found it one of the most charming villages on the Ligurian Riviera.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM

@Andrea – It was fun! Mussels, mussels and even more mussels. Very yummy.

@Simon – Thanks, wish you had been able to join us for the adventures. And I agree, Porto Venere is charming. I really hope to see it again someday. 🙂

• Reply Ayngelina October 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Is there any place in Italy that isn’t fantastic? Seriously, I don’t think I have ever heard a single bad thing.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM

@Ayngelina – So true! I could “wax poetic” about bella Italia all day. 🙂

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad (@amontrealer) October 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Love the first shot 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM

@Marie – Thank you, thank you!

• Reply Instragramming ... Varese Ligure, Italy. | cherylhoward.com November 1, 2012 at 4:57 PM

[…] spending the better part of a day at the beautiful seaside village and UNESCO world heritage site of Porto Venere, our group  settled in nearby Sarzana for the night indulging in (believe it or not) even more […]

• Reply The Girl with the Suitcase November 5, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Hi dear!
    Nice pictures, I like seeing my country through foreign eyes.
    And I’m happy to have met you in Genova. 🙂
    Silvia

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

@Silvia – Thank you so much! I always feel the same when people write about Canada, especially Toronto. Nice to have met you in Genova as well. 🙂

• Reply Ruth (Tanama Tales) November 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

This is the Italy I want to discover. It looks so different from the big and popular cities.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM

@Ruth – The seaside towns outside of Cinque Terre are more “off the beaten path” and are just as stunning. Porto Venere is now one of my favorite parts of bella Italia!

• Reply Dean November 14, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Liguria is a really beautiful part of Italy and I would love to get back there to explore more of it. I ended up spending the small amount of time that I had there exploring Cinque Terre, but there is so much more to see. Porto Venere looks amazing!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM

@Dean – Cinque Terre is quite nice! I loved it to … Liguria has so many other less travelled parts and ohhhh wow, I was surprised and amazed with each new town we visited.

• Reply Instragramming … Chiavari, Italy. | cherylhoward.com December 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM

[…] started by exploring Porto Venere, a place of poetic inspiration for Lord Byron. Here we took an early morning boat ride to view the […]

• Reply Top Places to Visit in the Italian Riviera - Italy Travel Guide January 12, 2014 at 9:18 PM

[…] Along the eastern most part of the Italian Riviera you will find the Cinque Terre, or the 5 lands. Five spectacular old fishing towns (Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso al mare) built across an 18km stretch of Italian coastline, resting on the tips of five cliffs, overlooking clear turquoise waters. Until 1874, upon completion of the first train line, the area was almost completely isolated. Today, the Cinque Terre are conserved as a national marine park. The villages are connected to one another by a single train. And for the bravest, they can be reached by foot, some in a matter of minutes, others after a long but absolutely worthwhile hike. When visiting Cinque Terre and the Gulf of La Spezia, make sure you also pass through Porto Venere. Together with the Cinque Terre, Porto Venere is part of a UNESCO world heritage site. […]