Alpe Di Siusi, Europe, Italy

Learning How To Make Dumplings At A Mountain Hut In Italy.

November 11, 2012
Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in the Italian Alps.

Just who’s the man in the funny looking hat? And why am I laughing so hard?

Meet Franz Mulser, chef at Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in Alpe Di Suisi (Seisor Alm) located in the Italian Alps. Franz led myself and a group of very hungry travel bloggers through a cooking class where we learned how to make dumplings from scratch.

I happened to be laughing at Franz’s very honest proclamation that my dumplings were done “Cheryl style“. It was his “nice” way to tell me that my dumpling making skills weren’t exactly up to par.

Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in the Italian Alps.

The Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut is really a special place. Set against this dramatic and beautiful landscape, the mountain hut has a restaurant which offers the perfect opportunity to stop and eat a meal after a day spent hiking the nearby trails.

Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in the Italian Alps.

As you eat your meal, you might even be serenaded by this adorable old man playing the accordion.

Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in the Italian Alps.

If hiking is not your thing, you can also take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride up to the mountain hut.

Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in the Italian Alps.

Franz not only serves delicious fresh food to his customers (we cooked with mushrooms picked that very day), he also offers cooking courses where you can learn not only how to make local specialities like dumplings but cook outdoors using this old wooden stove.

Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in the Italian Alps.

That morning, we learned how to make two kinds of dumplings – one filled with meat which was our main course and another filled with fruit for dessert providing us with a delectable combination.

Suiting up in “proper” attire, it was time for the cooking class to begin.

Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in the Italian Alps.

As you can see, we were a very happy and enthusiastic group of students!

Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in the Italian Alps.

The main dish was complimented by a salad of fresh flowers, yes fresh flowers!

Gostner Schwaige Mountain Hut in the Italian Alps.

The best part of the experience was of course, being able to eat the “fruits of our labours“. I can honestly say that this meal was one of the best I’ve ever eaten! Thanks to Franz, I’m now a woman obsessed with dumplings.

If you’re interested in learning how to make this at home, I’d suggest reading the ever wonderful Laurel’s post where she provides the recipe and outlines step-by-step instructions for making the dumplings.

Better yet, come to Gosner Schwaige Mountain Hut and sign up to take this very same cooking class!

Tips – Classes are offered in German and Italian, lasts three to five hours and costs between 35 – 50 euros a person. There is usually a minimum number of people required for the class. Make sure to book ahead and confirm the details in advance. If you come to the restaurant in the evening, a reservation is almost always required.

Gosner Schwaige Mountain Hut
Via Saltria, Castelrotto BZ 39040 Italy
0039 0347 836 81 54
gostnerschwaige@dnet.it

View Larger Map

* Disclosure – My stay in this beautiful almost unknown area of Italy was courtesy of Alpe di Siusi. Any opinions expressed about my dumpling obsession remain entirely my own.

Comments

comments

• Reply Andrea November 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

What fun in such a wonderful setting! Love that oven =)

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 13, 2012 at 3:47 PM

@Andrea – It was sooo sooo fun. Oh and tasty! 🙂

• Reply ANGLO/Dale November 15, 2012 at 7:54 AM

That looks like incredible fun judging from the laughter that’s been captured in those pictures. The kind of laughter I get when people try my food.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM

@Dale – It was one of the more fun experiences I’ve ever had! Your cooking inspires laughter, how come? Surely, it’s not so bad.

• Reply Ayngelina November 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Now that is something I’d like to do!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 19, 2012 at 4:13 PM

@Ayngelina – You totally should, it’s so fun! And very very yummy. =)

• Reply Spikes in the Dolomites Wild About Travel November 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM

[…] Interested in some mouth-watering reading? Learning How To Make Dumplings At A Mountain Hut In Italy. […]

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica December 4, 2012 at 2:28 AM

What a unique cooking experience.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM

@Stephanie – It really was! And those dumplings were beyond good. 🙂

• Reply Katy December 4, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Hi Cheryl – looks fantastic! Would you say this is a kid friendly place/activity? It looks like it would be fun!

Thanks!

Katy

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM

@Katy – Not entirely sure about the cooking lessons, but the restaurant and all the other activities like hiking, carriage ride etc are definitively family friendly. In fact, it was mostly families on holiday there! The hikes are easy, great for young and old alike. As for the cooking lessons, I’d suggest calling ahead and see if they do lessons that include kids.

• Reply Dean December 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

It is certainly a beautiful place for a cooking course. Seems like a great experience!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

@Dean – Sud Tyrol is soooo very beautiful! I see these pictures and want to do it all over again.

• Reply How To "Romance Yourself" Around Europe. | cherylhoward.com February 17, 2013 at 12:12 PM

[…] a cooking class outside in Italy with the alps surrounding you from all sides takes romance to a new […]

• Reply Laurel August 14, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Who knew that cooking could be so much fun? I still remember how good those dumplings tasted. Thanks to linking to my recipe.

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM

No problem Laurel! That was a really fun day wasn’t it? 🙂

• Reply Spikes in the Dolomites October 28, 2014 at 1:43 PM

• Reply Tyvek Nott October 1, 2015 at 4:15 AM

By middle school I had learned that Chinese food and dumplings were not always synonymous. It was a disappointing moment, but there were a lot of those in middle school. So I vowed never to pass up a good dumpling opportunity.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 1, 2015 at 5:29 AM

Hey Tyvek! Yes, there are dumplings from around the world and there are none that I do not like. You should never pass up such an opportunity, that’s for sure. 🙂