Berlin, Europe, Expat Living, Germany

So I Moved To Berlin. Just How Did I Make Friends?

December 15, 2012
People in Berlin Kreuzberg

Ever since I wrote my rather long-winded confessional about why I moved to Berlin, people have written and asked me how I made friends as a stranger in a foreign land. Some lonely person even arrived on my blog by Googling “Moving to Berlin with no friends.”

If you don’t feel like reading that confessional, here’s my story in a nutshell:

I quit my job, sold everything that I owned and left a great job in Toronto all to move 6,400 kilometers across the planet to start fresh. I came alone, without family, friends, or a significant other. In fact, I didn’t know a single person in Berlin! I’d never even been to Berlin for that matter. To add to this, I was unemployed and didn’t know how to speak German.

Cheryl Howard Berlin

Making Friends in Berlin

So there I was in Berlin, flying solo, completely alone, single, and free!

In the beginning, I kept myself busy doing tours of the city, traveling, having long Skype dates with friends at home, and meeting up with Toronto friends who happened to visiting Berlin (there were strangely loads of them). Then a time came when I finally needed to focus on making new local friends and fully embrace my new expat lifestyle.

Here are my top three ways to make new friends when you move abroad.

1) Enroll in a Language Class

Book Store Berlin

If you move to a new country and don’t know the language, one of the very first things you should do is enroll in a language class so you can better immerse yourself in the culture. It will help make your transition easier if you can communicate with locals in their native language.

The great part about enrolling in a language class is that you can become friends with your fellow classmates who are most likely new to the country as well. You can study together or just hang out doing other things. You’ll share a common bond and can support one another as needed, especially when you find yourself missing home.

The other great thing is that once you have a basic command of whatever language you’re learning, you can begin speaking with locals and open up even more opportunities to forge new friendships.

I started a one month German intensive course 2 months after I arrived in Berlin with Sprachnatalier. Unfortunately, most of my classmates were young students from Spain and Italy who were only in Berlin for about four weeks. While I made some new “temporary” friends, I didn’t establish any of the long-term relationships that I so desired.

But hey – my Spanish friends taught me to drink wine like real Spanish people do, mixing coke with red wine.

Read about why I think it’s so important to learn German in Berlin.

2) Find a Local

Ten Months in Berlin - Cafe Am Neuen See

The theme song from the famous American 1980’s sitcom Cheers sums it up perfectly – “Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name.” Whether it be a nearby bar, café or restaurant, find a place that you can call your own, where they know your name, how you take your coffee, or what type of wine you like to drink.

It’s imperative that the place you choose is not touristy but more of a neighbourhood establishment where you can meet people who actually live in the area and who you’ll likely see again.

A visiting friend introduced me to a chilled out local wine bar shortly after I arrived in Berlin. After a while, I jokingly came to refer to this place as my “second home.” I’d walk in, be hugged, kissed, and handed a glass of wine, all without saying a word. I then befriended the staff and through them was introduced to some German women (who are now close friends) and even a guy that I dated for a while.

It wasn’t easy. I can’t tell you how many nights when I walked into that bar alone. It was embarrassing! Feigning confidence, I’d walk up to the bar, sip from my glass of wine, and smoke my cigarette while surveying the crowd around me. I’m sure those who observed me thought me weird or even worse, looking for a good time but I persevered and kept going back until I started meeting people.

3) Harness the Power of the Internet

Make Friends in Berlin cherylhowardcom travelsofadam

If you’re looking for love, there’s always online dating sites or apps (ahem, Tinder!) but what about if you’re just looking to just make new friends and not hook-up (not that there’s anything wrong with that)?

I’ve always been a big Twitter user. After moving to Berlin, I used Twitter’s search feature to find active local users like Sandy and Nicole. For the first while, I sat back and watched their conversations. Then through my rather intense stalking efforts, I discovered who they talked to and starting following them as well. With time, I became less shy and entered the fray of conversation, finding out what cool things there were to do that weekend, and when/where people were meeting.

For example, I met a bunch of people through a “burger tour” of Berlin that was organized by Adam from Travels of Adam and Georg from Digital Cosmonaut. We met up every 2-3 weeks at a specific burger joint to chow down on burgers and meet other foodies.

Another way to find locals in your area is to research blogs/web sites for your chosen city. Before arriving in Berlin, I already knew that some of my favourite sites were Slow Travel Berlin, uBerlin and Travelettes. Email them or ask for advice and suggest meeting up or in the very least, follow them on Facebook or Twitter to see what events they are attending and if there’s an opportunity for you to attend and hopefully meet as well. Over time, I met or worked with various people from these blogs.

As the community in Berlin is so active, there’s always something going on whether it be a party, conference, or even an impromptu Mexican picnic at Tempelhof with other expats.

Another great tool is meetup.com. You can search through their directory to find groups in your area like expat communities or groups of like-minded people with a specific interest like cooking or music. I once went to a party on a boat (again alone) and met up with a bunch of other Internationals in Berlin. Other group options are New in Berlin and Berlin Expats. I also once had fun on Canada Day attending a Canadian expat meet-up at a Canadian pizza place.

Another option is Internations, an expat community with chapters all around the world including Berlin.

By far, the very best way to make friends in Berlin is to come out to the monthly meetups that I co-host with my buddy Adam. To see when new events are being held, join our meetup group that now has more than 2,5oo members!

Alternatively, join our private Facebook group where you can ask questions about Berlin, find others to hang out with, and more!

Just Get Out There

People in Berlin Kreuzberg

Of course, there are tons of other ways to make friends like through work, sports leagues, the gym (I go to Lady Company), local charities like Vostel.de, and even cooking clubs. The possibilities are endless and you need to do what works for you. The ones I listed above are just what personally worked for me.

Regardless of your situation, you need to be flexible and open-minded. There’s no time to be shy as you need to put yourself out there even when you feel uncomfortable. It might not be easy but with a positive attitude, patience, and time, you’ll soon find yourself surrounded by a group of close friends.

Berlin Resources

1. Look here for what to do in Berlin.
  2. Read this guide about how to find a job in Berlin.

Comments

comments

• Reply Kate @ 30Traveler December 16, 2012 at 4:01 pm

This is great advice Cheryl. When I moved to England, I was surprised by how hard it was to make friends but when I look back I didn’t put the effort in to find people with similar interests to mine. If I was doing it again, I would do it in a much more strategic way. Good on you for being strategic and persisting. It’s great to share things like how hard it sometimes is walk into a bar alone. When I’m in NYC, I sometimes go to a design meetup organized by a blog I read. For me, the big thing is meeting people who share my passions rather than people who are nice but who I don’t have a ton in common with. Twitter and blogs are an awesome resource for this. Since I’m vegan, it’s quite nice to have that interest to bond with people over.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm

@Kate – Thanks so much for sharing and your kind comment! It’s hard to make friends and get over that initial shyness.

Once long ago, I was in a long-term relationship where my only friends were “his” friends. When we split up, I was totally alone. I started by hanging out with colleagues, then playing sports and taking classes and finally, using Twitter! With time, my confidence grew. I think that’s why my move abroad wasn’t so hard.

I hope you can continue to meet people. For sure, Twitter and blogs are great ways! I’ve made many good friends this way at home in Toronto and in Berlin. 🙂

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad (@amontrealer) December 16, 2012 at 4:14 pm

What a great piece of helpful advice! Being an expat myself, the social part is always the harder. You really have to push yourself to break that barrier!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm

@A Montrealer Abroad – Thanks so much! You certainly do, at first it’s not easy but once you get yourself out there, there’s so many opportunities to make new friends. 🙂

• Reply Katie December 17, 2012 at 8:30 am

Hi Cheryl! So glad to come across your blog.

Funnily enough, I also quit my life in Toronto and moved to Berlin – would be so nice to meet you one time. Great tips! I definitely did some of the same things when I moved here – meetups, city-specific Blog & Twitter “stalking”, language class etc…

I’m working at a startup called Gidsy (http://gidsy.com/), which I know is also a really great place to find & meet new people in Berlin, especially as an expat. Maybe a tip for your readers 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm

@Katie – Very cool! Nice to know another Toronto girl in Berlin. And nice to know I’m not the only online stalker. 🙂

I’m very familiar with Gidsy and like what you guys do! I’m sure my readers will aprpeciate the additonal tip.

Would be nice to meet you as well! I’m actually back in Toronto for the time being but perhaps we can meet up when I’m next in Berlin.

• Reply kevin January 8, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Hi, Katie & Cheryl.

I am similar to you in some way, I also quit my life in Auckland (from another commonwealth country) and moved to Berlin.

It will be great to meet up with you two. To know about me, and possible opportunity to work together, you can have a look here => http://goo.gl/Q6PXq

Kevin 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 9, 2013 at 4:35 pm

@Kevin – Welcome to Berlin! Hope you enjoy your time in the Haupstadt and best of luck with your photography. You’re certainly in the right place to pursue such a creative passion. 🙂

• Reply James December 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Mmmm red wine and coke! After our second holiday to Barcelona I kept trying to make this a “thing” back in London.

Aaaaaaaanyway, thanks again for our mention, and for anyone else who’s reading and need helps settling in Berlin – *do* email us, we’re happy to help!

Liebe aus Berlin 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm

@James – How come it didn’t become a big thing!? We also sampled red wine with orange flavored Fanta! 🙂

And no problem for the mention! And yes, anyone reading this should contact them for more info ASAP.

And thanks … Liebe from Toronto. Ich möchte in Berlin!

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica December 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm

#2 is a great idea. The funny thing is I have actually used #3 to meet new people now that I’m back home.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 18, 2012 at 9:14 pm

@Stephanie – There’s actually an incredible story about how I came to discover that place! I may write about it someday but then my site would turn into a dating blog. 😉

With regards to #3 – very cool I did this at home too before I moved. Seemed like a natural thing to do when I got to Berlin.

• Reply martha December 18, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this great post! it’s a priveleged for us reading this!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 17, 2013 at 7:22 pm

@Martha – Thank you and glad to hear that you enjoyed this!

• Reply Chris December 20, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Under 1) “Unfortunately, most of my classmates were young students from Spain and Germany who were only in Berlin for about 4 weeks”. I didn’t know Germans were coming to Berlin to learn… German 🙂 Or is Berlin still not in Germany? 🙂
    Or maybe you took some French classes and you thought it was German 😉 Sweeeet!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm

@Chris – Ha ha – error duly noted and corrected. Thanks for pointing that out … I intended to write Spain and Italy NOT Spain and Germany.

• Reply Chasing the Donkey July 16, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Cheryl, many thanks for the tip on Twitter to make new friends. I have recently become an Expat and have not spotted any Expats about…I’m jotting down that tip for tomorrows activity.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 16, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Chasing the Donkey – Glad this proved helpful. Social media is a godsend!

• Reply Ashrah October 12, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Hello,
    this is amazing and very heartening story. Thank You so much. I start in the same way. All my friends are in different country, I am not very brave and “scared” go out home. I speak 2 languages, of course not German 🙂 but I am shy :/ I really admire your strength I wish have the same 🙁

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 13, 2013 at 11:30 am

Ashrah – Thank you! I hope that you are able to make some friends in Berlin or wherever you may live. It’s hard at first but gets easier. 🙂

• Reply Marina October 17, 2013 at 8:12 am

I have exactly this problem right now. I’m living in Berlin since 1 year, but I didn’t make so many new friends. Two years ago I was living in Poland and there was so so much different, I met 100 of new people, I hang out with many of them, we did so many so nice things. I moved here because of my boyfriend. Apparently he’s not taking care of my social contacts and I have to do it on my own. I know mostly ONLY his friends and I’m kind of dependent on this! I hate this situation and urgently want to change it… I was thinking of signing for a fitness member ship, since it’s popular in Berlin, maybe this way I have bigger chances to get to know new people.

Thank you for your post, it made me hopeful,

Marina

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Hey Marina! Sorry to hear that you have not been able to meet many new people in Berlin. I hope that my post will be helpful somehow. I’m sure the gym membership will help too! 🙂

Best of luck.

Cheryl

• Reply Miranda November 20, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hi Marina! I moved to Berlin one week ago and don’t know anyone, maybe we could go shopping och have a coffee sometime? 🙂 My name is Miranda and I am from Sweden, maybe Cheryl Howard who owns the blog can give us each others e-mail adresses or something? Haha this is a bit weird but maybe it works… Tschüs!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Hi Miranda! Sounds like a good idea. Let me email her and ask her if she’s interested in making the connection.

• Reply MAG December 15, 2013 at 4:15 am

Same situation here i have just move here 2 week ago with no friends, no job, no housing , no love

It seems like a challenge to me!

i actually googled, ” how hard is to make friends here in berlin”!

Thanks for the tips Cheryl 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 15, 2013 at 11:54 am

It’s a good challenge I think. All the best with your time in Berlin. It’s an incredible city! I’ll be back someday soon I hope. 🙂

• Reply kelly ann January 8, 2014 at 9:17 am

thanks Cheryl im moving to Berlin Next weekend to work in fashion. Ive been looking at those blogs already ha ha. How strange.

Im totally on board at doing things alone an will hopefully make friends. Very hard to imagine not having a big social life when ive lived in London an
      im out all the time.

Figners crossed I will be a big social butterfly there too

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 9, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Hi Kelly Ann – Congrats on your decision to move to Berlin. Hope you love it as much as I do.

I bet you’ll make friends in no time, the expat community is great!

Locals are always curious and want to get to know you as well, especially to learn about your story and why you chose to come to Berlin. 🙂

• Reply Nalla March 8, 2014 at 6:32 am

Great post Cheryl. Thanks.

Im too moving/relocating to Berlin in few days for work. Any suggestions on Language Schools in Berlin?

cheers

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 8, 2014 at 7:28 am

Hi Nalla – check out my post about how to find a job in Berlin, which has many language school recommendations there.

Good luck and I’m a tiny bit jealous. Wishing I was there right now.

• Reply Nalla March 9, 2014 at 6:50 am

Awesome … thanks Cheryl.

lol … looking at your blog im the one jealous of you, haven’t been able to take my eyes off your blog writings of your travels!!!

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 9, 2014 at 10:52 am

No problem, Nalla. Thanks for your kind words. If you would like some travel tips, definitely let me know! 🙂

• Reply helen April 12, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hey Cheryl thank you for all your information, I have been living in Berlin now for 3 years and love it here. I found my local bar, and met some wonderful people. I am also here with my boyfriend who is German but not from berlin. The only problem we have had is meeting younger people. Our local bar is great but the friends we have made are alot older which is great as they always have time and are always willing to listen. We are part of their family. How would you suggest we as a couple meet other people of the same age without sounding like we are interested in a swap ( if you know what i mean ) looking for friend in 30’s.

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 12, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Hey Helen – So glad you love Berlin too. I hope to get back there someday very soon. Perhaps try some of the meet-up groups I suggested or following some of the local bloggers I recommended as well? Or if worse comes to worse, find a new bar? 🙂

Which kiez do you live in? Maybe I can recommend a place?

• Reply jani May 31, 2014 at 3:06 pm

thank you for great tips!

• Reply Cheryl Howard June 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Hi Jani, I hope that they are helpful and get you some new friends in Berlin.

• Reply Ankur July 19, 2014 at 2:09 am

Hey cheryl,

Funny.. I was browsing around about life in Berlin and things to do on weekends and bumped into your blog! Online opportunities to meet new people seem to revolve around dating and not a good conversation.

Have moved here about a month back, and of course miss my rather active social life in Delhi,India.

Stalking you on twitter seems like a good first thing to do.

Cheers.

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 19, 2014 at 10:00 am

Hi Ankur – Welcome to my blog. Hope you’re enjoying Berlin and got some useful tips from this article. 🙂

• Reply Simone August 20, 2014 at 9:18 am

Hi Cheryl!
    Thank you very much for your post, it’s very nice, and I think it might give some interesting hints not only for people moving to Berlin, but in many european cities too!
    Anyway, I’m from Italy, and since I’m considering to try a living/working experience in Germany (maybe just in Berlin) I planned an “introductory holiday” there from sep 1 to sep 6. Ok, this will be mainly an hoilday (so I want relax and excitement), but I don’t like “classic” holidays where you go there and visit the museum X, the church Y, the residence Z, etc., so I’d like to ask you if you can suggest me some of the best places where people meet and talk, drink something, do social life etc (maybe that wine bar you mention in )… I don’t mean discos or something like that, where it’s almost impossible to get acquainted with someone…
    Consider that, for a number of reasons (vacation period, etc.), I’ll travel alone.
    Great blog! 😉

Cheers,
    Simone

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 21, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Hey Simone – Thanks for stopping by my blog! 🙂

You should definitely stop by the wine bar. It’s called Sorsi and Morsi and is located in Prenzlauer Berg. Also, check out the Thai Park on Saturdays or Sundays for some good food and a picnic in the park.

Also, reach out to Travels of Adam – http://travelsofadam.com/ as he has tons of great Berlin tips on his blog. 🙂

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheryl

• Reply Simone August 21, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Hey Cheryl!
        Thank you for answering!
        It’s incredible… it’s an italian wine bar, and I’m italian too! Moreover, it’s pretty near to the apartment I rented for my short introductory holiday! 🙂
        I’ll check it for sure! Many, many, many thanks! 😀
        I’m going to check the other blog you suggested me, but I’ll contunue following your blog, it’s amazing… I regret you aren’t in Berlin anymore, I’d have liked a lot to meet you, but if you plan to come in Italy I’d really like to manage to do so!
        Anyway, I totally understand you when you say “I’m sure those who observed me thought me weird or even worse “looking for a good time””, but often (I happen to notice here in Italy too) people is scared to get acquainted to other people even though they would do it, I’m quite sure, people who noticed you would have liked to have the courage to sit and make some introductory word with you, just to discover that it isn’t so hard… but anyway, you succeeded, and I’m sincerely happy for you!
        Cheers!

Simone

• Reply Cheryl Howard August 21, 2014 at 9:15 pm

That’s awesome! Please have a toast there for me and greet the lovely owner Johnny. 🙂

And thanks so much for your kind words. I just got back from Berlin actually – was there for a 3 week vacation. I’ll be back again very soon (hoping) so perhaps there’s always a chance of meeting up.

• Reply Simone September 2, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Hello Cheryl!
        Guess what… I’m now at Sorsi e Morsi, and I’ve just brought Johnny your kind greetings! He told me he remembers you very well!
        Thank you, really thank you for your wonderful suggestions!
        Hope to meet you somewhere one day, you’re a lovely blogger!
        Greetings from the wonderful Berlin,

Simone

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 2, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Hi Simone! So glad to hear that you visited Sorsi e Morsi and got to meet the wonderful Johnny. I just visited him two weeks ago while I was on vacation in Berlin. And thanks so much for your kind comments. 🙂

• Reply Jonathan September 17, 2014 at 5:06 pm

This is the perfect article, thanks Cheryl. I just moved to Berlin, also with no plan, job, or knowing anyone, and had only been here once 4 years ago for a party weekend. Now am apartment hunting and find the prospect of living alone rather than flatsharing quite daunting, especially as I am a freelancer with always lots of projects, which reduces the possibility for work based friends. I will give some of your ideas and suggestions a go for sure. But just wanted ot say thanks for sharing your insights with all the pitfalls and results.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 18, 2014 at 9:33 am

Hey Jonathan, Thanks for your kind words Jonathan and glad you found the article helpful. Good luck on apartment hunting and hope you are enjoying Berlin. 🙂

• Reply Kathrin October 2, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Great topic – it is definitely a challenge when you are not in school anymore, where finding friends is no issue at all. The hard part is to not only hang out with the “temporary” traveller crowd but to find people who are either locals or newbies like yourself. New hobbies, teamsports and volunteering really help but it naturally takes patience to find people you click with.
    I find it helps to remind yourself how you met your closest friends or your significant other – most of the time it is because you were open to meeting new people and actively doing so. In the beginning Couchsurfing and Meetup is a great way to find hiking buddies, pub company or a tennis partner & you will meet really fun and interesting people with exciting stories along the way!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 3, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Thanks for your comment Kathrin. It’s weird as that now that I am back home in Toronto, I find it hard to meet new people. For some reason, it was just so easy for me in Berlin. I still have so many friends there!

• Reply Angie January 17, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Hi Cheryl. I have been wanting to move to Germany for some time now but have been reluctant due to many reasons. So I started googling the net to help me find reasons to do so and I just came across your post which was very inspiring I must say. I would like to ask if you dont mind how are job opportunities like in Berlin, Germany. I have never been to Germany so your advise would mean a lot. Thanks

• Reply Anca January 23, 2015 at 8:28 am

Thank you so much my dear for sharing this! I needed so much that I feel like crying cause I’m an English teacher from Romania who is going to move with a little daughter to teach in Berlin for a beeter life! and I am so scarred of how ny life will be without my family, friends, of course no husband and a small child! 🙁 thank you for all the courage you gave me! :-*

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 27, 2015 at 10:11 am

Hi there Anca –

I am glad the article is helpful! This makes me very happy to hear. All the best with you and your daughter in Berlin. <3

Cheryl

• Reply mohammad Yeghaneh April 5, 2015 at 3:40 am

Hello Cheryl,
    It was Great tips, I will advice your blog to others

I have been accepted in the Program Master of Mathematics in FU- University of Berlin

recently, I should be there until 27 may ( I am waiting for visa )
    It was one of the great blog about cities that I have ever read, thank you
    could you please check your email and help me bu answer my question
    Thnak you

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 5, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Mohammad. I’ll respond to your email soon!

Best.
      Cheryl

• Reply June September 20, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Hi Cheryl! Love your post. Im trying to build the same courage and do the same as you. Just move to a different country. Most likely Europe. I’m planning a trip actually to Berlin for New Years. Any suggestions? Or do you think we will be extremely cold. Have heard mixed reviews. I did Barcelona last year and had an amazing time. Wanted to do a different city in Europe this year. Would love to hear from you. And if you are going to in Berlin during NYE, would love to meetup. 😉

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 22, 2015 at 5:01 am

Hi June,

Thanks for your kind words. Berlin is a great choice for NYE! It’s not usually that cold here but it all depends on what you actually consider cold? Berlin is a crazy fun place to be with fireworks being set off all day and all sorts of events taking place around the city.

Not sure if I will be here around NYE. May head out of town myself. 🙂

Best of luck with your plans to move!

Cheryl

• Reply Cécile De Fourcy January 3, 2016 at 8:54 am

Unfortunately the problem here is to find people that will stay longer than a year somehow !

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 3, 2016 at 6:15 am

Hey Cecile – I agree that Berlin is a transient city with people who come and go all of the time. But there are many people, like myself, who are here for the long haul. Just come out to one of our meetups! 😉

• Reply Elhombre Sinpatria January 7, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Happy New Year Cheryl!! Just moved in to Berlin a week ago, and doing some search on the net I found your blog. It's really heplful, and while I was reading you I felt how you were back when you arrived to Berlin. Probably like I'm feeling right now. It's a challenge for me, and after traveled half world, I decided to try luck for some reason in this cool city…the echoes of its vibrant cultural scene were calling me since ages. Now is the moment, I'm here and thanks to your blog I'll get the power against the odds and the cold to get what I came for !!! A whole new experience full of challenges 😉 Thanks!!
    Ps : Funny that you were drinking Wine & Coca Cola…We call it Calimotxo!!! Did you like it?

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 8, 2016 at 11:27 am

Hiya Elhombre –

Glad that my blog has been helpful. Always nice to hear! 🙂

I was not too fond of the wine and cola. Too sugar filled for me. Ha ha!

Good luck with your time in Berlin!

Cheryl

• Reply Laverne Wolfe March 9, 2016 at 9:00 am

Great advice! I can’t imagine to move somewhere by myself not knowing anybody. On the other side it must be really a great feeling to be absolutely free. Your tips are really great! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 9, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Thanks Laverne! It was a pretty nerve wracking experience in the beginning, but it got better once I stated tp open myself up to new experiences. 🙂