Budapest, Europe, Featured, Hungary

Photos: The Chain Bridge in Budapest at Night.

January 21, 2013

I remember it as clearly as if it happened yesterday. But this particular unforgettable travel moment happened last April.

It was a warm, foggy and wet night in Budapest. A seeming gloomy and forlorn mood was cast over the city. The romantic in me just loves days like this, especially in my favorite city in the world.

I was happily strolling across the Chain Bridge with a friend heading from Pest over to Buda for dinner. Breathing deeply, I sighed with happiness and was filled with a deep sense of contentment as I took in the familiar landscape of Buda Castle, the Parliament Building, the Four Seasons, the Danube and well, quite simply stated felt at home.

Budapest Chain Bridge At Night

Breaking my reverie, my friend suddenly exclaimed “Isn’t Budapest romantic? This city is beautiful. In fact, I think it’s even nicer than Prague.

I stopped, turned and looked at him smiling. It was as if he read my mind and even my heart. I’d never met someone who felt the same way as I did about Budapest! For this reason, I’ll always treasure that moment.

Budapest’s an extremely picturesque and beautiful city which can be best experienced by walking across the Chain Bridge (or “Széchenyi Lánchíd” in Hungarian) either by day or by night. I enjoy doing this so much that I make an effort to walk across this bridge each time I come to Budapest.

Nighttime is a perfect time to stroll any city like Prague, Krakow and Szczecin to name just a few. To me Budapest by night is when the city is at it’s finest.

Budapest Chain Bridge At Night

This historic suspension bridge that connects the Pest and Buda sides of the city is a monument in itself. Opening up in 1849, it was hailed as a “modern engineering wonder” and seen as a significant achievement further linking East and West, North America and Europe. Guarded on each side by two regal and fierce-looking lions, this bridge almost begs you to walk across it, cruise under it  and take photo-after-photo.

Budapest Chain Bridge At Night

As you can see, that’s just what I did on my last trip to Budapest last November. Knowing I was due to return to Canada for a while, I spent three days in my “home-away-from-home“. So naturally, the very first thing I did when I arrived was walk along the bridge.

Alone with bittersweet tears filling my eyes, I walked along the bridge gazing out at the city I loved so much, recalling the times I’d visited there before (ahem, the moment I described above) and wondered when I’d be back.

I can tell you right now, my return can’t come soon enough!

Comments

comments

• Reply Jennifer January 22, 2013 at 2:23 am

I love Budapest! It is our absolute favorite European city. We’ve walked across the Chain Bridge many times, most recently last month when we went for Budapest’s Christmas markets.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm

@Jennifer – I love that you guys love Budapest too! All too often I hear people put down the city and I just don’t understand why. What is there not to love?

And you were there for the Christmas markets? How lovely! I was there over Christmas in 2010. 🙂

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad (@amontrealer) January 22, 2013 at 4:53 am

Gorgeous photos Cheryl! Very photogenic place 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 22, 2013 at 12:40 pm

@A Montrealer Abroad – Thank you so much. I had a such a willing subject. 😉

• Reply Andrea January 22, 2013 at 9:34 am

Love this bridge! Amazing shots

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 22, 2013 at 12:41 pm

@Andrea – Thanks! The Chain Bridge keeps bringing me back over and over again.

• Reply Amanda January 23, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Love it! This bridge is SO photogenic.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 24, 2013 at 6:55 am

@Amanda – Thank you so much! Yes, the bridge is very photogenic. I could do another post on shots I have during the day.

• Reply Jenna January 24, 2013 at 1:35 am

I walked this bridge a few times at night, and it really is impressive, as your photos show. I haven’t been to Budapest in a very long time, but you’re making me want to go back 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 24, 2013 at 6:56 am

@Jenna – Yes, it’s one of the mandatory things to do when you’re back in Budapest again. Hope you make it there soon! 🙂

• Reply Greg Prohl January 27, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Fabulous nighttime shots of beauty, and extremely interesting to me as we plan to see Budapest this spring, so I’ll be looking forward to walking the chain bridge myself!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 27, 2013 at 11:41 pm

@Greg – Excellent news. I highly encourage you to walk along the bridge – it’s something you have to see with your own eyes!

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica January 29, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Beautiful details.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 30, 2013 at 12:19 pm

@Stephanie – I agree, it’s one beautiful bridge.

• Reply Dean February 12, 2013 at 2:44 am

Great photos Cheryl! Night time always adds a different kind of beauty to cityscapes. Budapest is a city that I would love to spend a lot of time in.

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 12, 2013 at 8:07 am

@Dean – Danke! You might fall in love just like I did. 🙂

• Reply Deb February 13, 2013 at 10:00 am

We’re heading to Buadpest for the first time this Spring. I can’t wait to see it. We had the chance to stop there during the Mongol Rally, but we were too focused on driving rather than taking in the sights at that point. I’m glad we have a second chance to explore the city, and now we will definitely do it at night!

• Reply Cheryl Howard February 15, 2013 at 8:15 am

@Deb – I can’t wait to see your posts and photos about Budapest! 🙂

• Reply Factotum January 26, 2016 at 12:26 am

December in Budapest, perfect time for us photographers. Warm city lights and beautiful Christmas decoration. Chain bridge, Parliament building, Buda castle, Fisherman’s bastion, Gresham palace….Incredible city panorama from Gellert hill, off course.
    I made a short night time lapse video about Christmas in Budapest:

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 26, 2016 at 6:06 am

Yes, it’s one heck of a beautiful city. Thanks for sharing the video!