Europe, Italy, Rome

Dear Rome, I Love You.

March 3, 2013

Rome is the very first European city that I ever visited. There was no turning back, as I fell in love not only with the city but the country and continent itself. It was the beginning of the end as it led me to change my life forever when I moved from Toronto to Berlin to start a new life abroad.

For this reason, Rome will always hold a special place in my heart. It was here that I felt happiness greater than anything I’d ever known. For the first time ever, I actually wept tears of joy.

A Love Letter to Rome.
As this was my introduction to the city, I hit up all of the expected cliched tourist sites where I blindly followed a tour guide wielding a brightly coloured umbrella around like a helpless lemming.

First up was the Vatican, also where the tears started falling.

A Love Letter to Rome.
I just couldn’t believe that I was there, in Rome! At the Vatican! Me! Seeing a place that I’d only seen featured on TV or read about in books. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I’d see it with my own eyes.

Saint Peter’s Basilica and Square were out of this world.

A Love Letter to Rome.

Then it was off to Trevi Fountain. I didn’t throw any coins in as one is supposed to do when visiting the site, but one part of the superstition did come true. I’ve been back to Italy several times since then – four times alone in 2012! It remains to be seen if I’ll marry an Italian …

A Love Letter to Rome.

Later the Pantheon.

A Love Letter to Rome.

And Piazza Navona.
A Love Letter to Rome.

Next was the ever so iconic Coliseum.

A Love Letter to Rome.

I just had to take a picture of the tourists taking pictures of the feral cats wandering around the Coliseum. These celebrity like cats had their own paparazzi.

A Love Letter to Rome.

Finally we made our way to the forum. And … cue for more weeping to ensue. Seeing these ancient sites was again something too surreal to bear.

A Love Letter to Rome.

Stifle that groan! It’s true, Rome was a literal burst of sunshine into my life. 🙂

A Love Letter to Rome.
Lastly a random shot with bokeh from a spontaneous rain storm.

Hilariously, this sudden appearance of a torrential downpour also brought several men – seemingly out of no where – to start selling umbrellas to the poor tourists who were only too happy to shell out their precious Euros to stay dry. A worthwhile scam!

A Love Letter to Rome.
Hmm, are you sold? I was then and I am now. I feel the city calling me back. How about we go together?

So yes, if Rome were a man and I wanted to write him a love letter. It would begin with something simple, lame and utterly cliched as my post’s subject line – “Dear Rome, I love you.” I’d also end with a “P.S. I miss you and will see you soon.

Comments

comments

• Reply Jenna March 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I need to go back to Rome because it was never my favorite Italian city, not even close, but I did love the Forum and Pantheon especially. An amazing place, no doubt.

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 3, 2013 at 7:21 pm

@Jenna – Ha ha. I feel that way about Milan. 🙂

Hope you make it back soon!

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad (@amontrealer) March 4, 2013 at 8:54 am

I loved Rome too! I was only there for a brief 2 day getaway but I deeply fell in love with it. It’s just so surreal to be surrounded by structures that have been through SO much in the last 2000 years. It was so long ago, the idea of it gets abstract and hard to imagine, really.

• Reply Matthew Hirtes March 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

To my eternal shame, I haven’t yet been to Rome. But I adored Florence. If your photos are anything to go by, Cheryl, that latter city’s going to have some serious competition to remain my favourite Italian city when I eventually get to Rome.

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm

@A Montrealer Abroad – I think the ancient sites are something that we as Canadians (or even North Americans) don’t get to see on an everyday basis that they become even more special to us. It’s an incredible feeling to be surrounded by so much majesty and history!

@Matthew – You definitely need to get yourself to Rome as soon as possible. 🙂

• Reply Andrea March 6, 2013 at 5:45 am

I heart Rome!

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 6, 2013 at 10:15 am

@Andrea – Me too! I wish I was there right now. It’s so darn cold in Toronto. Ugh!

• Reply Jarmo March 6, 2013 at 2:26 pm

There is a lot to see in Rome. I’ve yet to visit, only been around the Italian country side so far, but definitely want to visit Rome!

• Reply Cheryl Howard March 7, 2013 at 2:51 pm

@Jarmo – I hope you make it there … I love the country side much better actually but Rome is definitely pretty special with all of the ancient sites.

• Reply Kim March 7, 2013 at 9:18 am

I only visited Rome briefly for 2 days a few years back and have been urging myself to go back since. The archestechture and history of the place is just amazing (although the sheer amount of tourists in places got annoying)

• Reply gina May 14, 2013 at 7:27 pm

big smile for this one 🙂

• Reply Monica Goh May 13, 2014 at 6:03 am

Your photographs of Rome brings back such lovely memories of my own holiday there. Now you’ve inspired me to write an entry about my days in Rome… =)

• Reply Cheryl Howard May 13, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Thank you Monica. Rome is an incredibly inspiring city! 😀

• Reply Andrea Anastasiou January 25, 2016 at 2:19 am

Hoping to make it there this year! It’s been on my ‘wish list’ for so long…

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 25, 2016 at 10:18 am

I haven’t been there for a few years either. Dying to go back! Such a pretty and historic city. <3