Europe, Portugal, Sintra

Beautiful and Quirky Sintra, Portugal

April 20, 2013

Beautiful and Quirky Sintra, Portugal. Sintra, Portugal is a UNESCO World Heritage site full of castles, gardens and palatial villas dating back to the eighth and ninth centuries. A blend of Romantic, Moorish and Gothic architecture styles makes Sintra pretty beyond belief. Surprisingly there’s also a quirky side to this small town of 3,000 people that you would not expect. Lucky for me, I’m all about the weird and offbeat!

Beautiful and Quirky Sintra, Portugal

Sintra’s an easy day trip from Lisbon (about 30 KM’s away) and the perfect place to come and relax in a peaceful and quiet atmosphere . You can hang out in castles, see how the rich and famous once lived and take a romantic picnic in the park.

Sintra, Portugal

Sintra Portugal

Walking through town, you’ll come across all sorts of modern art, one hell of perverted statue and an extraordinarily beautiful bus stop.

Sintra Portugal
Umm, just is what is happening here? It’s so wrong! For some reason, this satyr (part goat and man) is anatomically correct, much more so than necessary. Our group of travel bloggers stood staring at this statue in disbelief for quite some time.

There may even be a picture of me inappropriately cupping him floating around the Interwebz. 🙂

Sintra Portugal
A reflection of Portugal’s Moorish influence, I couldn’t help but wish there were more bus stops like this in the world.

Sintra Portugal

This is Sintra National Palace, restored during the 1940’s and now stands as an important national monument.

Sintra Portugal

The beauty of Sintra, Portugal only continued. This building is across the street from the palace. I love the blue on blue.

Sintra Portugal

Next, we stopped by a small shop for some tasty treats, drinking a cherry flavoured liqueur from a chocolate cup!  I was further entertained by their odd collection of merchandise including “healing wine” and a story about the Legend of the Cock.

Sintra Portugal

Before leaving town, we stopped by Hotel Tivoli Palacio de Seteais to gaze at the stunning building and take in the romantic surroundings.

Sintra Portugal
Our tour of Sintra, Portugal was quick and to the point. We Hate Tourism Tours had other plans in store for us like visiting the beachside town of Caiscais!

Before we busted a move, I was able to take one last farewell shot of Monserrate Palace.

Sintra Portugal

If you’re looking for a place to party like a rock star, Sintra is not the place for you. If you’re looking to immerse yourself in beauty, culture and romance for a day (or more), then you’re going to fall deeply in love with Sintra.

View Larger Map

If you like this post, share it on Pinterest.

Beautiful and Quirky Sintra, Portugal
*DisclosureMy stay in Lisbon and tours of the surrounding area was kindly sponsored by HouseTrip. Any opinions expressed about my love for Portugal are entirely my own.

Comments

comments

• Reply Cat of Sunshine and Siestas April 21, 2013 at 4:40 am

Sintra is one of my favorite places in Portugal, particularly the palaces and whimsical gardens. Nice revisiting through your post!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 21, 2013 at 9:09 am

@Cat – Thanks, glad you enjoyed the memories. 🙂

• Reply Natalye April 21, 2013 at 7:12 am

Looks so lovely!!! The fellow has been to Portugal before (I haven’t) and it’s one of the top places he wants to take me. I am excited to eventually explore it too!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

@Natalye – It’s very lovely. The two of you will have a marvellous time in Sintra and well, Portugal in general. 🙂

• Reply Adam April 21, 2013 at 10:06 am

I love your photo of the blue building, Cheryl. Sintra looks beautiful!

• Reply Iain Mallory April 21, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Sintra looks a beautiful town worth exploring Cheryl and your pics really give a feel for the place. I love the mask statue and as for Dr Wine that sounds like my kind of medicine. I wasn’t even aware of Sintra but I’m sure it would be preferable to exploring some of the bigger cities.

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm

@Iain – It’s very lovely! Wish I had been able to stay longer than an hour or two. Hope you see it someday for yourself …

• Reply OurOyster.com April 21, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I love it! This is the type of place I could spend a week or two just relaxing with my family.

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 21, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Yeah, I think it's a perfect place to relax and get away from it all. Especially, with family. 🙂

• Reply Nat April 21, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Gothic architecture and cherry liqueurs always get me.

• Reply Laurel April 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

Love your eye for picking out the quirky. Sintra looks lovely.

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 22, 2013 at 11:31 am

@Laurel – Ha ha! I love quirky mostly because I’m quirky. 😉

• Reply Andrea April 23, 2013 at 10:28 am

I enjoyed the town at Sintra so much more than the castle itself…lovely photos!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 23, 2013 at 4:43 pm

@Andrea – Thanks and me too! It’s a lovely place to explore and wander.

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica April 24, 2013 at 10:20 am

How could you not make a comment about the Legend of Cock?

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 24, 2013 at 10:35 am

@Stephanie – Figured there was enough commentary about that bizarre statue!

• Reply My Travel Affairs April 25, 2013 at 5:34 am

I’m so jealous of your trip. I went this year in January and it was all foggy and rainy, couldn’t see much! Great pictures!

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm

@My Travel Affairs – It just means you need to go back again. 😀

• Reply My Travel Affairs April 25, 2013 at 9:34 am

I'm so jealous of your trip. I went this year in January and it was all foggy and rainy, couldn't see much! Great pictures!

• Reply Dean April 26, 2013 at 5:07 am

Beautiful! It looks like the kind of place I could just walk around in for days.

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 26, 2013 at 12:13 pm

@Dean – Yes, it certainly is … there are some nice trails for hiking too.

• Reply Jenna April 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful. Portugal is high on my list and Sintra is one place I’d love to visit.

• Reply Cheryl Howard April 30, 2013 at 7:11 pm

@Jenna – Thank you! Portugal is one of my favorite countries ever! 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 2, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Thanks! I hope you can make it back when it's sunny. 🙂

• Reply Escapist January 11, 2014 at 5:14 am

It’s so beautiful and so close to Lisbon!
    The Sintra Castle is one of its kind… But from your photos we get a detailed, deeper look at how Sintra’s other architectural beauties look like.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 11, 2014 at 8:51 am

I really enjoyed Sintra! I want to go there again and explore more someday. 🙂

Our time there was far too brief.

• Reply Hugo Gonçalves November 25, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Your Blog is fantastic!!!

My name is Hugo and I am an official guide in Lisbon. I loved your article about Sintra.

I invite everybody to came to Portugal. It’s a country to be discovered, like you did when you went to places where even some Portuguese are not …

Thanks

Hugo Gonçalves

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 26, 2015 at 4:46 am

Hi Hugo,

Glad you like my blog. I work pretty hard to keep it going. 🙂

I adore Portugal and do hope to get back there someday! I hope that more people visit as well. It’s one of my favourite places in the world.

Best,