Accommodation, Budapest, Europe, Hungary

My Favorite Hostel in Hungary – Wombats City Hostel in Budapest.

September 22, 2013

Having been spoiled by an incredible stay at Living Lounge Hostel in Lisbon, it was time to check out yet another stylish hostel but this time in Budapest.

After a weekend stay in Munich, I’d already come to like the Wombats Hostel chain but their location in Budapest blew me away.

Wombats Hostel in Budapest

The biggest hostel in the entire city is situated in a former hotel. While at first glance, this check-in desk may appear the same as every other hostel …

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

The Common Area

… wait until you get a glimpse of the hip, modern and ultra cool common area!

It’s hard to believe that this is a hostel and not a hotel. Here you can eat breakfast, socialize and even get some sleep in a lounge area full of fluffy pillows.

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

I spent many hours curled sitting on these chairs, people watching and taking advantage of the hostel’s free wi-fi.

I’d seriously love one of these chairs in my own apartment.

Wombats City Hostel BudapestThe enthusiastic traveller in me loved these suitcases set-up in the lounge area.

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

The Bar

One of the perks of staying at this hostel is the free drink ticket that you get upon arrival. After I finished taking photos of the nearby Chain Bridge by night, I returned to the hostel and took advantage by having a nightcap at their bar. My choice was a red Hungarian wine!

It’s a great place to hang out, meet others staying at the hostel, buy cheap drinks and listen to the lively music.

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

My Private Room

As this was my last trip in Europe before moving back home to Toronto, I booked my own room as I wanted privacy so I could get a good night’s sleep and reflect about my final days in my favorite city. I’ll be honest, I cried more than once during my stay so the private room was perfect.

The room was huge and more than enough for me. As there were two beds, maybe I should have brought a friend with me after all. It was clean (looked after on a daily basis), bright, and I loved those sky lights.

Other bonus features – a full length mirror and a hair dryer in the bathroom. Perfect for the girlie girl types like me!

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

I also adored this spiral staircase and am glad the hostel didn’t try to modernize it like other they did to other parts of the property. I refused to use the elevator while there and only took the stairs so I could enjoy their beauty.

Wombats City Hostel Budapest

Good to Know

1. The hostel is located in a central location on the Pest side of the city. There are lots of cool bars, restaurants and nice shops nearby. In fact, you’re in the midst of the Fashion district on Király utca. You’re also not far from the Chain Bridge which will take you over to Buda to explore the castle district.
  2. Wi-fi’s available throughout the hostel, in the common areas and in all of the rooms.
  3. You get a free drink ticket upon arrival. Drinks at the hostel bar are quite cheap.
  4. There’s a nice buffet breakfast available daily, also super cheap.
  5. My room cost me about 24 euros a night, so very budget friendly especially considering it was a private room (this was not a sponsored stay for me).
  6. The staff are fun and friendly. They gave me tips about how to use public transportation and helped set me up with appointments to check out the Invisible Exhibition and the Area 51 Project, both seriously cool experiences.

If you’re a first timer to Budapest, check out my Weekend Guide to Budapest.

Location

Wombats City Hostel Budapest
1061 Budapest, Király utca 20, Hungary ‎
+36 1 883 5005

View Larger Map

Comments

comments

• Reply Cat of Sunshine and Siestas September 23, 2013 at 4:10 am

I’ve stayed in Wombat’s in both Vienna and Berlin – love the bars and the ambience. Definitely going to look into them for my upcoming trip to Budapest.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 23, 2013 at 11:20 am

I love the Wombats chain too! What I love about the location in Budapest is the giant common area. It’s so beautiful!

• Reply Kate @30Traveler September 23, 2013 at 1:42 pm

This looks great. A lot of times I’d rather stay in a private room in a hostel than a hotel, especially if it has a good kitchen. Hostel recommendation posts are always useful, for self but also because people often ask for reliable recs.

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 24, 2013 at 12:00 am

Kate – This is a really great hostel! And when a private room comes at this price, I’d rather a hostel too.

• Reply Lars September 24, 2013 at 1:14 am

Hi Cheryl, I am the Operations Manager of Wombats City Hostels and I am more than glad you enjoyed your stay in our Hostels and wrote this beautiful article about our property in Budapest! There is one thing that changed: we now have free WiFi even in the rooms, hoping that this is another service to our customers.
    Once again, thank you very much and hope to see you real soon in one of our Wombats City Hostels!
    Lars

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 25, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Lars – thanks for your kind comment. I’ve updated the post to say free wi-fi throughout. 🙂

• Reply Laura @Travelocafe September 27, 2013 at 4:13 pm

This hostel has such a great location, and the rooms look basic but nice, clean and with a free drink in the bar, what else can anyone ask?

• Reply Cheryl Howard September 29, 2013 at 8:22 am

Laura – You can’t ask for more. And such a great way to meet other travellers. 🙂

• Reply The GypsyNesters October 12, 2013 at 8:16 pm

We are going to Budapest in December, we’ll have to check out Wombats. Thanks for the tip.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 12, 2013 at 8:17 pm

No problem! It’s a nice hostel and the location is great.

• Reply Mary @ Green Global Travl October 13, 2013 at 6:12 pm

The spiral staircase is stunning! I love boutique hostels and so appreciate those that offer beautifully designed eco-friendly accommodation (including gorgeous private rooms) at great rates. Thank you for sharing a fabulous find!

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 13, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I love that staircase as well! I really liked this hostel and have a feeling, I’ll be back someday.

• Reply Stephanie - The Travel Chica October 13, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Wow! Quite upscale for a hostel.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 14, 2013 at 10:25 am

Yes, I think Europe sets the bar high for the rest of the world. 🙂

• Reply Cathy Sweeney October 16, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Good choice on the red wine. I was totally surprised by how good the Hungarian reds were. I’ve never stayed in a hostel, but have seen many photos and heard many stories. Wombats looks like one that I would consider as an option. Love your staircase shot. So glad they left that as is, too.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 16, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Hungarian wine is great! I love it as well and always make sure I have some when visiting Budapest. I also like to buy a Hungarian sparkling wine at my local liquor store in Toronto. 🙂

And agree, that staircase is gorgeous!

• Reply Jennifer October 16, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I’ve never stayed in a hostel, but this one looks very nice! As you said, it looks more like a hotel than what I picture a hostel to look like.

• Reply Cheryl Howard October 16, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I never used to be a fan of hostels but I love them now. It’s so much fun meeting other people and even better when it’s this nice. 🙂