Canada, Instagram, North America, Toronto

Instagramming … Toronto Street Art.

November 3, 2013

One of the things I loved most about exploring European cities was the chance to discover street art and graffiti. Whether be street art in Amsterdam, street art in Berlin or street art in Szczecin, I never grew bored and could happily spend hours on end snapping Instagram photos.

Upon moving back to Toronto, a small part of me was dismayed. The street art culture would never be as epic of that of my beloved Berlin – featured recently on BuzzFeed. Especially since Toronto’s infamous crack-smoking mayor declared war on graffiti.

However, over the past year – I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the street art and graffiti in Toronto. If you follow me on Instagram, you’d already know I hit the motherload a couple of weeks ago and have been posting lots of pictures.

Here’s just some of my favourite pieces.

Street Art in Toronto

Toronto Street Art

If you like my photos, follow me on Instagram (@cdngrrleh) to see updates from my life in Toronto and on the road.

Comments

comments

• Reply Adam P. November 4, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Wow, most of these are great pieces of art! As for the rest – a nice way how to bring color and life to the streets. Done properly graffiti should be encouraged by the municipalities. People need to realize a difference between graffiti that needs to be removed and the magnificent street art that you mention..In addition, it´s a great way how to attract tourists.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Street art is one of the best ways to get to know a city .. I think so anyway. 🙂

• Reply A Montrealer Abroad November 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I love how street art constantly evolves. I went on a tour in June for TBEX and I’m sure very few of the pieces I saw still remain today — and that’s the whole beauty of it!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I feel the same! It’s so exciting to stumble down a new alley and find new pieces and know that it might not be there for long. Better reason to snap some photos.

And cool that you did the tour for TBEX! 🙂

• Reply Jenna November 4, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Wow, very colorful and expressive works here. Street art like this must give these areas of Toronto a youthful vibe. I like it!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

For sure! A good reason for you to come and visit soon? 🙂

• Reply David @ That Gay Backpacker November 4, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Very cool indeed. My favourite band are from Toronto and that makes me want to visit even though I know nothing else about the place. Well, now I also know it has bloody great street art. Nice one.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Thanks David! Toronto is home to a great music/art scene and so much more. Like for example, as we’re so multi-cultural, the food scene is amazing. Whatever food you want, you’ll be able to find it.

And you may like the fact that we’re hosting World Pride next year! 🙂

• Reply Nancie November 5, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Some great talent here, and it really beats looking at grungy walls 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 5, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Thanks Nancie, it certainly makes a city way more pretty and interesting!

• Reply Maria November 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Nice mix of murals and graffiti – I love all the color and can imagine it’s a striking contrast once the snow begins to fall.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Ha ha Maria. I’m still not prepared for the snow yet …. but yes, it will be a bright spot amidst all the grey.

• Reply Devlin @ Marginal Boundaries November 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Great shots, I love me some street art/graff, also why am I not following you on IG yet?

• Reply Ralph November 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Hey Cheryl.

I share your enthusiasm for Toronto street art. I have over 300 photos posted on Flikr to date.

Love your shots which are all new to me. So, thanks. Very cool.

So, what type of PM do you do?

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Glad you enjoyed. I work in IT – in other words, I’m a giant nerd.

• Reply Mary @ Green Global Travl November 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I couldn’t agree more! As a person who appreciates public art, I noticed that Toronto’s was impressive! It was often tucked away in alleys… as though artists are not only seeking out public canvases but also being certain to be respectful of others property. It’s there – just not quite so obvious as it is other cities, though no less magnificent, none the less.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

It’s so much better than I expected it to be … after Berlin, everything seems to pale in comparison. I’ve been pleasantly surprised! 🙂

• Reply Monica November 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Great pics! I loved the street art in Toronto too but didn’t see loads of these.

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Thanks Monica. Definitely some great work in my city. 🙂

• Reply Ayngelina November 10, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Love these shots of my city!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Me too! Weirdly, I don’t write about Toronto so much … but I like the street art enough to do so.

• Reply Abby November 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Love all the pics you have posted here 🙂 I actually love art and I do believe that street art is one of the best ways to get to know about a city. Will definitely following you on Instagram 🙂

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Abby – thanks so much! Look forward to following you back. 🙂

• Reply Marcel November 14, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I visited Toronto the other day for the first time and it was amazing, I got to see some really cool street art. I love the pictures! I just read today that it is getting big in Poland, looks pretty cool..

• Reply Jennifer November 15, 2013 at 5:31 AM

Very cool! I haven’t been to Toronto in years, but just saw some great street art in London’s East End!

• Reply Cheryl Howard November 15, 2013 at 8:49 AM

The street art in Toronto was certainly surprising. I’ve heard all about how London has amazing work. Hope to see for myself sometime. 🙂

• Reply Insufferably Bad Graffiti in Santiago, Chile - Style Hi Club November 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM

[…] thing about the graffiti is that it’s everywhere and completely pointless. It’s not art like in Toronto, but rather an eyesore on the city of […]