Europe, Lisbon, Portugal

Urban Exploration – A Walking Tour of Lisbon

December 15, 2013

A Walking Tour of Lisbon

Without a doubt, one of the greatest ways to explore a new city is with your own two feet.

During my crazy travel career, I’ve been lucky to see plenty of places and have some pretty cool experiences that saw me walk around Prague Castle on a snowy day,  get lost on the streets of Havana and wander around Amsterdam.

I was a teensy bit doubtful that Lisbon could continue to impress me – as the night before, we’d been treated to a whirlwind motorcycle tour of Lisbon at dusk. Watching sunset over the city was seriously one of the most romantic and swoon worthy experiences of my life.

A Walking Tour of Lisbon

Then the very next day, we did a tour with Urban Adventures. On their Experience Lisbon walk, I once again found myself overwhelmingly impressed. It turned out that a walking tour of Lisbon was all it would take.

Lisbon Architecture

The tour takes you to some Lisbon’s most elegant squares. The city’s architecture, although much of it fading and falling into disrepair remains stunning and absolutely beautiful.

Portuguese Pastries and Cool Cafes

If you plan on visiting Lisbon, I’d suggest going on a diet before you get there and to continue daily exercise once you arrive. Doing a walking tour of Lisbon definitely helps!

It will allow you to eat lots of Portuguese pastries without feeling guilty.

A Walking Tour of Lisbon

I’d suggest pairing your pastry with a coffee and hanging out at cool cafes like this.

Multicultural Lisbon

You’ll also roam through some of Lisbon’s most multicultural and bohemian neighbourhoods like Mouraria, Chiado, Bairro Alto and Bica.

This was my favorite part of the tour as we really got a feel for everyday life here.

A Walking Tour of Lisbon

Among my favorite photos were these of the one car trams, a system in operation since 1873.

Street Art

Of course, there was some nice street art along the way. You can find a much better account (and photos) of Lisbon street art over at unurth.com.

Cacilhas

Lastly, we took a ferry across the Tagus River to Cacilhas where we chowed down on seafood and sipped vino verde!

A Walking Tour of Lisbon But not before stopping for a cliched photo opportunity. This is me, loving Lisbon.

Good to Know

1. The Experience Lisbon walk can be booked through Urban Adventures. The tour lasts 3-4 hours and costs about 30 euros per person.
  2. Bring plenty of water during hot weather to stay refreshed along the way. Also, wear comfortable shoes as there is a lot of walking.
  3. One of the stops includes Restaurant Casa do Alentejo – a rather pretty restaurant set in a former Moorish palace.
  4. If you’re feeling wild, be sure to take a motorcycle tour through Lisbon.
  5. Take a gander at all of my Portugal content here.
  6. Watch my cute video to learn how to experience Lisbon to the fullest.

* Disclosure โ€“ My time in Lisbon was complimentary, courtesy of Housetrip. Any opinions expressed about my love for Lisbon (and the pastries) are entirely my own.

Comments

comments

• Reply Gran Canaria Local December 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Darn, those natas look so inviting. If only there was a Portuguese bakery nearby. Last time we went to Lisbon, we came back with pastries a plenty for family and friends.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 15, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Yeah, those pastries are hard to resist! I feel like I must now seek out some local shops in Toronto to get a fix now.

You must have been quite popular with your family and friends. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Luke December 15, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I totally agree with you… Walking the streets is the best way to explore a city. Every city has it’s hidden treasures that can only be found on foot. You could drive by them every single day in a bus or taxi and never even know they were there.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 15, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Yeah, it’s a great way to discover a city. Not to mention budget friendly as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Henry | @fotoeins December 15, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Such a beautiful and tasty city! Thanks for the tour, Cheryl!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 15, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Not a problem. Glad you enjoyed the post. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Reply Nancy D. Brown December 16, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I love Lisbon. Did you get a chance to venture outside Lisbon to the National Palace of Queluz? My Portugal highlight was watching the horses and riders perform at the Portuguese School of Equestrian Art – magical!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 17, 2013 at 11:03 am

Lisbon is one of my all time favorite cities! It’s so beautiful. I never went to the National Palace – sounds like that would be something really cool to check out. Next time! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Reply Sam December 17, 2013 at 11:40 am

I really enjoyed my 24 hours in Lisbon a year ago, and am really looking forward to going back. I’m always up for some cool cafes and street art, so this kind of walking tour sounds perfect. Bookmarking!

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 17, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Lisbon is a seriously cool city! If you take the tour, let us know here whether or not you enjoyed it as much as I did. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Devlin @ Marginal Boundaries December 17, 2013 at 7:45 pm

So beautiful! Great shots! What are those pastries called btw? Nothing like some good coffee/espresso and a few baked goods…mmmmm..

• Reply Dean December 18, 2013 at 12:33 am

Walking is the definitely the best way to explore a place. You get to see so much more. Lisbon looks like a cool place to take a stroll.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 18, 2013 at 9:12 am

Lisbon is very cool! I look forward to going back on my own someday. I just can’t get enough of Portugal.

• Reply Urban Exploration - A Walking Tour of Lisbon. |... December 20, 2013 at 9:12 pm

[…] Take a walking tour of Lisbon to sample Portuguese cuisine, take in the city's most notable landmarks and explore some of it's multicultural neighborhoods.  […]

• Reply Frank December 21, 2013 at 2:44 am

Great photos Cheryl! Haven’t been to Lisbon in 20 years…pretty city.
    Frank (bbqboy)

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 22, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Thank you Frank! I hope you can get back there soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Zara @ Backpack ME December 29, 2013 at 7:03 am

As a Portuguese person I love seeing my country through the eyes of visitors.
    I used to call Lisbon home. Now I travel all the time, but the more I go around the more I also appreciate where I come from.. the weather, the food, the people and the over all down-to-earth feeling of Lisboa.
    I am glad to see you enjoyed your time there! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 30, 2013 at 6:07 am

Zara – Thank you. I really loved Lisbon a lot as you can see. ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s true, once you go abroad that you come to see your home differently. I feel that way about Toronto too.

• Reply Laura @Travelocafe December 29, 2013 at 12:03 pm

You have reminded me how much I miss Portugal. An in Lisbon I have been only once, so maybe it’s time for me to return.

• Reply Cheryl Howard December 30, 2013 at 7:15 am

Laura – Go! I would love to see your blog posts from Portugal. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Escapist January 11, 2014 at 5:09 am

Great photos! You inspired me to check out Lisbon’s cafes next time I’ll be there.
    Love those old trams!

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 11, 2014 at 8:50 am

Thanks – the trams are almost as surreal as the old cars in Cuba. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Jennifer January 28, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I do love those blue tiles in Portugal! And the yellow trams – so cute! What lovely sea views you had too.

• Reply Cheryl Howard January 29, 2014 at 6:33 am

Jennifer, thank you! I fell in love with Portugal during this trip. Such wonderful memories.

• Reply Lesetipps zum Wochenende #013 | Von Hamburg bis Hawaii March 21, 2014 at 7:26 am

[…] Urban exploration – A walking tour of Lisbon […]

• Reply Mary @ Green Global Travel July 27, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Amazing photos! Crazy that the tram has been in operation since 1873! Thanks for sharing your tour!

• Reply Cheryl Howard July 28, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Mary – Thank you! I love the tram – it was amazing to see it with my own eyes.

• Reply 5 Alternative Things to Do in Lisbon for Under โ‚ฌ5 - Indefinite Adventure March 28, 2015 at 2:10 am

[…] course, Lisbon has its share of excellent museums, walking tours, famous things to do and see in the centre and out in the historic district of Belem, and there are […]

• Reply Lesetipps zum Wochenende #013 – Von Hamburg bis Hawaii March 8, 2017 at 5:44 pm

[…] Urban exploration – A walking tour of Lisbon […]