Best Berlin Meetup Groups for Meeting New People
It’s hard to believe that about three and half years ago, I spent a chilly Friday night in December at home in bed writing this post, So I Moved To Berlin. Just How Did I Make Friends?
Little did I know, that the post would become one of the blog’s most popular ones, or that it would lead me to starting a meetup group with my buddy Adam from Travels of Adam. As of now, our Make Friends in Berlin meetup group now has more than 6,000 members! We started the group to help people connect with other Berliners, be it expats or locals, in a casual, friendly, and most of all, fun setting. It’s been great watching people who’ve come to our meetups form new friendships and get settled more into their Berlin life.
So while we’re going to shamelessly promote ourselves in this post (why be a blogger otherwise?), I thought this would be a good chance to not only expand the expat life content here on the blog but spread some big old love to the other groups in Berlin who’ve the same mission as us.
Best Berlin Meetup Groups for Meeting New People
Some of our favourite Berlin meetup groups for meeting new people include:
1) Berlin Expats – With more than 7,000 people in the group, Berlin Expats welcomes new expats and despite their name, friendly locals. They’re unique in the sense they offer curated events that don’t always take place in the same bar or restaurant. Looking through their event history, comedy clubs and burlesque dance parties seem to be the norm. Soon they’re meeting up for a chilled session along the Landwehr Canal in Kreuzberg. They also have a Facebook group with more than 23,000 members.
2) Berlin: Girl Gone International – Sorry, boys. This Berlin meetup group is for the girls only. With more than 100 chapters around the world, there’s close to 2,000 lovely ladies in the Berlin group. They host brunches, bike rides, picnics, and even a book club. You can also find them on Facebook where the community is more than 5,500 strong.
3) Berlin LGBT Social Club – This LGBT friendly with more than 1,000 members group helps connect you to locals for the express purpose of socializing and having fun.
4) Berlin Singles Meetup – If you’re like me and are tired of Tinder, this group might be for you. Meetup with other singles (there’s just over 1,100 in the group) for drinks and see if there’s a chance for romance.
5) Culti Meetup Berlin: New in Town, Language & Social – This group promises casual and friendly events and offers a wide assortment of them, including German language exchanges, pub quizzes, karaoke, rock climbing, and more. Join 9,000+ others to start expanding your social circle and having fun in Berlin.
6) Discovering Berlin Together – Experience Berlin nightlife by joining more than 2,500 fellow Berliners for drinks at different bars around the city, swing dancing by the Spree, or even attend a concert together.
7) International Activities Berlin – This group focuses on the the bar scene and hosts frequent events in different bars around Berlin. They’re massive with close to 10,000 people, but most events seem to attract crowds of 30-40 people, making it easy to meet new people in Berlin in a more intimate and quiet setting.
8) International and Social Events Berlin – These guys host a recurring meetup called “That Famous Boat party” each Wednesday at a hostel in a boat anchored in the Spree.
9) Internationals in Berlin – A big hitter among the Berlin meetup groups for meeting new people is Internationals in Berlin, with close to 10,000 people in the group. Like many others, they do all sorts of things like go to comedy shows, meditation classes, and wine tastings.
10) Make Friends in Berlin – Ahem, this is us (!) and I already talked us up a lot. Basically, we host monthly events around Berlin in bars, clubs, art galleries, beer gardens, trampoline parks, and more. Come out to one of our events to make new friends in Berlin.
11) New Berliners Meetup – With close to 4,000 members, this group keeps it simple and hosts a recurring event at a bar in Prenzlauer Berg. They too attract smaller crowds of 20-50 people.
12) New In Berlin Meetup and Networking – Run by the folks over at Hobtime, there’s almost 10,000 people in this Berlin meetup group. More recent events seem to be comedy focused, so if that’s your thing, join them for some standup fun.
13) Saturday Afternoon Coffee and Talk – This weekly meetup gives you the chance to meet locals each Saturday and bond over your mutual love of coffee. Join more than 6,000 others to interact with locals and expats in a chilled locale.
Do you have any favourite Berlin meetup groups for meeting new people that you’d like to recommend to our community? Let us know in the comments below.
All About Berlin
As I love helping other newbies to get settled into their new Expat Life in Berlin, I’ve written a slew of content to help you get started.
Some of my most popular articles include:
- 15 Tips For Moving House In Berlin
- How To Find a Job in Berlin
- Why You Need to Learn German in Berlin
For even more Berlin related content, take a look at my Berlin guide or my list of things to do in Berlin. If you’re looking to meet locals, join our private Facebook group. If you’re a woman, join our new Make Friends in Berlin – Girls Edition group.
Looking to get to know Berlin better? Then why not check out these travel guides?
If you like this post, share it on Pinterest.
Powered by Facebook Comments