cherylhoward.com is here to inspire you to travel more or move abroad. It’s geared to people who love to travel and want to experience destinations on a deeper level. This blog offers detailed travel guides to various European and North American destinations and features cool and alternative things to do like trendy restaurants, boutique hotels, street art tours, and more. This blog’s also a guide to those looking to move abroad, specifically to Berlin and’s full of practical advice like how to find a job, make friends, get permanent residency, etc.
cherylhoward.com has been around since 2010 and is where I’ve chronicled my travel and expat live adventures over the years. Now thousands of people visit monthly and see this as a “go to” place for guidance on European travel and life in Berlin.
Over 41,000 people follow my round the world travels and expat adventures at home in Berlin. My wanderlust has taken me 39 countries, stretching across four continents. Upon falling in love with Europe, I left Canada, quitting my job, selling everything I own, and moving to Berlin. When I’m not jetting off on a weekend getaway, I work as an Agile Coach by day and travel blogger by night.
What to expect from me and this blog?
Generally, the blog is filled with long-form articles that are informational guides about a specific place or about Berlin life in general. The articles are filled with photos to give you an idea of what a place is actually like and inspire you to visit there. All articles are written by me in a genuine, fun and quirky style, with a deep level self deprecation and sarcasm. I tell the truth and am always realistic and as such, I never write about places I haven’t been.
Mostly, I’m here help you make the best of your trip or give you advice that will make your move abroad a success.
What you’ll find here:
- Destination features – cool things to do (in Berlin for example), weekend guides to places like Budapest, photo inspiration to make you want to visit Mdina Malta or Kotor Montenegro, and more.
- Weird and offbeat things to do – find strange (but way fun) things to do around the world like pose with the Ronald Reagan statue in Budapest or take a beer bath in Prague.
- Hotel reviews and recommendations – recommendations about the best places to stay in a city (i.e. Mostar) or reviews of hotels like this one in Hamburg.
- Street art – there’s no better way to get to know a city than through street art in places like NYC, Krakow, and Paris.
- Berlin life updates – Where I regularly highlight the ups and downs of living abroad. See my January 2019 update.
- Berlin expat living advice – Articles about how to make friends, find a job in Berlin, why learning German is so important.
- Expat living tips and tricks – Find out about essential tools for living abroad, German health insurance basics, or signs you’ve been living in Germany for a long time.
Read more on my FAQ page.