Just like when I set out to find cool places in Budapest, on my last trip to Latvia, I went on another quest to find some cool places in Riga. So when I wasn’t out and about snapping Riga photos, I was ducking into cafés to sip on flat whites and into hipster bars to drink my weight in Latvian craft beer.
My time there was way too short and I didn’t make it to half of the cool places in Riga that I wanted to visit, but I did manage to hit up these six trendy spots around the city.
Six Super Cool Places in Riga
In this little mini guide, you’ll find a design hotel (complete with a beautiful bar space), coffee shops, a bar with real character, and ammmaazzzing craft beer bars.
1) Tallink Hotel
Tallink Hotel is just one of many cool places in Riga. The four-star boutique hotel offers a funky modern design throughout its seven floors, starting with the furry white chandeliers that line the hotel’s lobby bar to the rooms’ bright yellow leather chairs. The minimalist vibe throughout the stylish location lends to a relaxing stay, as does the hotel’s sauna and hot tub. There’s free wifi throughout the hotel, a mini bar in each room, as well as free coffee and tea. You’ll also find English-speaking television channels like BBC World to catch up on the day’s news.
Tip: Some weekend packages include free access to the sauna and hot tub facilities.
Tallink Hotel – Elizabetes iela 24, Rīga, LV-1050
2) Coffee Inn
Coffee Inn has several locations throughout Riga and takes its coffee very seriously. All of their beans are freshly roasted by hand, at their own location in the Latvian countryside, near the Varene River. Always innovative, some of their signature coffees include Silk Black, Aero Cappuccino, and Sparkling Coffee, which combines espresso and sparkling water. Some locations are nicer than others, and this spot on Brīvības iela was ideal for a break from the cold November weather.
Tip: If you’re a flat white nerd like me, I highly recommend ordering one.
Coffee Inn – Brīvības iela 39, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1010
TAKA, situated on Miera iela, is a chilled-out bar known for its wide selection of Latvian craft beer and homemade apple wine. This is one of the coolest places in Riga, where locals come to work during the day (jump on their free wifi) and at night for reportedly wild costume parties and alternative music. The interior consists of homey old furniture and brightly colored yellow walls.
Tip: Ask the friendly bartenders to recommend one of their favorite local brews.
TAKA – Miera iela 10, Rīga, LV-1001
If you’re looking for beer heaven, come to Labietis. This local brewery offers such a vast beer menu, it will leave your head spinning. There’s no need to feel overwhelmed, as the bar staff will lead you through a tasting that will have you drunk before you’ve even ordered your first beer. The craft beers on offer include American-style IPAs and English bitters, enhanced with Latvian herbs and varying fruits.
Tip: Do experience the tasting. The bartender will let you sample 6-8 different beers to help you figure out which one you like best.
Labietis – Aristida Briāna iela 9A2, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1001
5) Cafe Leningrad
Note: This cafe/bar is now closed. However, as we love unusual places and things, we’ll leave this up as a memory of what once existed.
Cafe by day and bar by night, this Soviet-themed spot is a throwback to Communist times. Cafe Leningrad’s interior is decorated like an old-school apartment, complete with dated furniture, a boom box, and all sorts of memorabilia on the wall including pictures of Lenin and a strange collection of bras! Bookshelves are stuffed full of Soviet literature. The venue hosts live music events and are popular with locals on the weekends.
Tip: Order the light and sweet honey-flavored beer
Cafe Leningrad – Krišjāņa Valdemāra iela 4, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050
Another one of the cool places in Riga? MiiT. What started out as a bicycle shop that served drinks, is now a lovely vegetarian cafe that serves up a mean coffee. It’s open daily for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and has a menu that changes daily. As with most cafes in Riga, wifi is free and is another great place to get work done while chowing down on healthy, vegetarian, or vegan food.
Tip: Stop by for their weekend pancake brunch. Totally yummy.
MiiT – Lāčplēša iela 10, Rīga, LV-1010
Watch/share this video about these cool places and better yet, subscribe to my Youtube channel for even more travel-related videos.
What do you think about this list of cool places in Riga? Do you have further recommendations? Tell us about it in the comments below.
Good To Know
1) Riga is an easy weekend trip away from Berlin. You can book a cheap fare there through Ryanair, and the flight is just over an hour.
2) When you arrive at the airport, you can opt to go into the city by bus, airport shuttle, or taxi. I prefer the airport shuttle, as it’s only about €5 and will take you directly to your hotel or holiday flat.
3) Latvia uses the Euro, so there is no need to worry about exchanging currencies when you arrive at the airport.
4) Book a place to stay when you’re in Riga.
5) Make your time in Riga even better and go on a guided tour.
6) If you like Latvia and the surrounding area, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- A Mini Guide Of Where To Eat In Tallinn Estonia – This mini guide about where to eat in Tallinn Estonia, features a Mexican taco place, a hipster brunch spot, a steak place, and more.
- Experience Latvia Through These Riga Photos – The capital of Latvia is a great weekend getaway destination from Berlin. View these Riga photos to see why you should visit this beautiful Latvian town.
- See This Putin and Trump Shotgun Street Art in Vilnius – If you’re looking for something weird and offbeat in Lithuania, consider checking out this Putin and Trump Shotgun street art in Vilnius.
*Disclosure – This post contains some affiliate links. If you book a tour or hotel, I’ll earn a tiny commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support.